Talk

Advanced search

To book or not to book, that is the question

(7 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 15-Jul-11 21:39:51

Campsites seem to be wanting payment in advance for mid August. Not surprising really, you can't blame them if people book and then don't turn up because of the weather.

But it's £120 and it might rain. A Lot.

Have you booked and would you go anyway?

PlanetEarth Fri 15-Jul-11 21:57:12

We booked 3 nights away at a campsite in May one year. A couple of days in advance, snow was forecast. We bailed (wimp emoticon).

Seriously though, I think it would depend where I was going and how long for - a couple of weeks in the Lakes, say, would be asking for trouble.....

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 15-Jul-11 22:07:50

Devon. South Hams to be precise.

It's a risk innit, especially this year.

But I think we're not the only people gambling £120 on a bit of good weather.

See, if we didn't book a campsite, we would know that we could afford to go elsewhere. A couple of nights in a Travelodge or something.

But I'd rather do a campsite.

In the sun.

Slubberdegullion Sat 16-Jul-11 09:02:19

mm it's tricky isn't it Mary.

I think if you are unfussy about facilities and happy to camp inland and not at uber popular destinations then you should be able to find something without booking. Size of tent also a consideration.

I haven't camped in the South for probaly 15 years though...

Are you a c&cc member? That gives you access to their tiny, member only sites.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 16-Jul-11 13:54:57

No, I fancy some of the c&CC sites, but don't want to have to pay the extra as we don't camp that much.

I am fussy. wink

MegBusset Sat 16-Jul-11 15:55:51

We booked for this weekend (£55 for two nights) and only stayed one night because of the weather. Next time we're going to leave it til say the Monday before, then if the weekend weather's looking good we'll ring around. We're lucky to live near loads of sites though so I'm hoping it won't be impossible to find places at short notice.

IloveJudgeJudy Mon 18-Jul-11 12:04:23

We just spent the weekend at Ecclesden Farm near Worthing/Littlehampton/Arundel. I'm sure it wouldn't be full if you just turned up. It's £15.00 per night including EHU for 2 adults and 2 DC, £12.00 without EHU. Quite a basic site, on a farm, but pretty views. The facilities are pretty basic, but OK if you want a site without extras. We were a group and they let us camp in a circle, put up windbreaks.... I could probably just about put up with the facilities for just a week as it's so cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now