Talk

Advanced search

Indulge me please. Yet another bell tent thread.

(27 Posts)
winefairy Fri 15-Jul-11 09:55:33

So my new 5m Soulpad arrived and we finally put it up yesterday. I can not believe how easy it was! I think Mr Winefairy and I had been secretly avoiding the act as we feared we wouldn't be capable but it was a breeze. Alarmingly so.

And so, so beautiful once up. Neighbours flocked to admire!

That's all. Just wanted to share.

<ridiculously pleased emoticon>

MisSalLaneous Fri 15-Jul-11 10:16:48

grin When are you camping it in for the first time, winefairy? It does look as if should be harder than a modern tent, doesn't it? Have fun playing with it!

mel2005 Fri 15-Jul-11 10:40:09

i was amazed when i put mine up, its is fantastic and so easy. my twins were going around taking the pegs out behind me so it took longer than it would have without my little helpers. its easy to take down and there is a utube vid to help get it to the right size for the bag.

SeaShellsMyDogSmells Fri 15-Jul-11 13:01:29

grin and envy

I'm so going to need to get one intime for the BH camp aren't I?!!!

Enjoy!

winefairy Fri 15-Jul-11 13:07:07

Hopefully going camping at the end of next week, MisSal although if we don't manage our very first trip will be Camp Bestival, the weekend after!

And thanks for the youtube tip, mel. I admit I found fitting it back in the bag by far the most challenging part! Though that may have been influenced by the celebratory wine that was consumed.

winefairy Fri 15-Jul-11 13:09:18

Oh, SeaShells, it's so fabulous. Beyond expectations.

You need one. You really do. grin

SalomeD Fri 15-Jul-11 17:15:19

Congratulations Winefairy!

You're going to really love camping in it - hopefully we'll get some sunshiney weather soon so you can enjoy the lovely light through the canvas of a morning.

[[www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=253387&PagePosition=1 ]]

For inspiration on the next step take a look at the link above. There are some amazing tents in the photos, wonderfully glamped especially the 6m bell tent with 5m bell tent as sleeping pod for the children!

winefairy Fri 15-Jul-11 18:03:56

Thanks, SalomeD....what a fabulous link! So much inspiration. Wow!

Have already bought quite a few things as have been toying with the idea for almost a year now. I shall post photos as soon as it's all come together.

I'm missing it already though and very tempted to put it back up in the garden. I'm sure this is a completely natural stage of bell tent ownership!

SeaShellsMyDogSmells Fri 15-Jul-11 18:33:34

Have you got the bedroom inner? Do you think you would get a table and chairs in there as well?

winefairy Fri 15-Jul-11 20:36:46

No bedroom inner as yet. Just loving the space at the moment! Basically I can fit two double raised Aerobeds comfortably on the far side of the central pole still with plenty of room to each side.

Table and chairs absolutely doable in the other half, I would imagine!

QueeferSutherland Fri 15-Jul-11 22:21:56

I got mine today! We managed to put it up wrong.hmm

Has anyone got any experience of stopping a very small child twirling round the pole for an hour solid? I have never seen the baby so excited. He didn't stop giggling the whole time it was up.

DH managed to get the tent back into the bag no probs, but it took us aaaages to get the groundsheet back in.

Ripeberry Fri 15-Jul-11 22:24:54

Bell tent is a bonus, especially when you have to put it up in a rain storm. But got to remember to peg out the base first.
We used it in woodland setting a few weeks ago and it looked so natural compared to the modern tents.

poppyboo Sun 17-Jul-11 12:56:58

here's another bell tent tip that I got from a mumsnetter on here:
Get yourself to B&Q and go to the aisle for builders and buy yourself a tarpaulin which is about 5 by 7 meters approx for about £11.00 to use a footprint underneath your bell tent. We did this last half term holiday and it made it a breeze packing away our bell tent, no danger of getting wet grass/mud/beetles all over your brand new cream bell tent! All the dirt goes on the tarpaulin that you can fold up and shove into a bin bag to sort out when you get home. So much easier!!!! and you can fold away a clean (hopfuuly dry) bell tent grin we love love love our bell tent, i would not camp in anything apart from a bell now! I would refuse to!

Peachy Sun 17-Jul-11 12:59:42

Oh no hadn;t thought about the pole twirling LMAO- boys not discovered that yet but given they all have either asd or adhd we're stuffed PMSL! Maybe use the time to nip outside for a glass of wine? wink

Seriously our bell tent is a gift; we're off to Europe for the first time ever as a family next week and after a long drive knwoing just a bell to pitch is a big plus.

Peachy Sun 17-Jul-11 13:00:03

Oh and ta for tarp tip; will get for next season.

victoriasmith Sun 17-Jul-11 16:50:28

with the tarp do you mean you only use it when taking tent down or you pitch on top of it?

i have finally persuaded boyfriend to spend twice as much money as planned and buy a 4m bell tent instead of a plastic one! yay so excited!

are there any must know bell tent tips from you more experienced bell tenters, anything we absolutley should get to take with us?

victoriasmith Sun 17-Jul-11 16:50:53

oh just so you know there will be two adults and one 5 month old

Bellethebelltent Sun 17-Jul-11 17:24:52

Having lost our original pole in high winds last summer, we not have a solid bamboo pole, I can totally recommend it too, cheap to buy, solid, looks fab and hooks etc can be screwed in to it. Belltent uk use them in their bell hotels and report that you can swing from them too!
You do need a roof rack or trailer to transport it in one piece though.

winefairy Sun 17-Jul-11 18:29:02

Thanks poppyboo! What a great tip.

ReshapeWhileDamp Sun 17-Jul-11 21:14:35

Hoorah! I got my 5 m bell on wednesday last week and it went up in the garden on thursday - still up (as it's still wet out...hmm) and we've been in there every day. Had my birthday lunch in there yesterday. I've been tightening guys a lot because of the slightly unnerving gusts of wind...

Queefer, DS1 (3 yo) did a bit of pole dancing at first and was sharply told to stop! He seems to be pretty good in the tent - am trying to train him up..

ReshapeWhileDamp Sun 17-Jul-11 21:16:36

Sorry, that Hoorah! was aimed at Winefairy in complicit enthusiasm re. her new tent, not a Hoorah! about my own. grin

They do go up nicely, don't they? I put mine up on my own, but with my mum reading the directions out and wrangling the boys.

mel2005 Sun 17-Jul-11 23:01:54

i bought a tipi tent ground sheet off e-bay to protect my soulpad goundsheet (£12ish)but it was slightly larger than the soulpad one, i did tuck it a bit under(becsue of the pegs on the groundsheet) but we had ALOT of rain and i had a pool of water inbetween the tipi groundsheet and the soulpad one, take care if you buy a tarp to tuck it well under so its smaller than the tent groundsheet. it did work well after i sorted the tucking under.

my twins didnt pole dance (they do that on the wirlybird clothes dryer) they took all the pegs out instead. they did bang the pole as i had a hanging glass tea light holder on it but i took it down everytime they did it and they soon stopped.
if its windy i did have to keep adjusting the pegs/ lines.
i also had 18m of coloured solar fairy lights in it (£11ish from e-bay) and it looked fab but now they now dont work properly (i only have the red lights) so i will have to get some better ones.
i just love the bell, cant wait to get it up again. i am thinking about taking all four kids camping next week on my own (as dh working) not sure if thats too mad. i will be local but my children are 6y,5y and 2.5y twins. i can cope ok in the day but what if i need the loo when they are asleep?
also anyone had any bird poop on the canvas yet? i couldnt get the stains off, i have a neighbour with pigeons and it bugs me when they poop on the washing/car and even the bbq (i am not joking) but the bell tent angry

SalomeD Sun 17-Jul-11 23:25:00

Mel2005 - no, its not too mad.

Get yourself a kampa khazi or a Bucket for when you are caught short - thats what i did whwn i took mine away and we had such a fab time.

My youngest doesnt want Daddy to come on our next trip. I think this is because he views camping as a special time whwn Mummy really chills out. DH spends Saturdays with them at motocross so they certainly have plenty of fun together then. I have to admit I really relax and enjoy lighting campfires, whittling the odd tent peg and letting them have fun in the woods

winefairy Mon 18-Jul-11 12:56:15

ReShape....Hoorah back for your new bell tent! Funnily enough, it's my birthday this week too and I had also hoped the bell tent would play a part in the celebrations! Never knew it was possible to have such strong feelings for canvas! grin

poppyboo Mon 18-Jul-11 19:01:15

sorry victoriasmith only just popping back in now, i meant pitch on top of the tarp. xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now