Talk

Advanced search

Camp people, please help me find a gift..

(43 Posts)
SuePurblybilt Thu 14-Jul-11 19:39:11

I have a friend who, like me, teaches Forest School (it's kind of scouty, outdoor education for children mostly. Mucking about in woods grin). She's very into the 'gadgets' that we use - fire flints, kelly kettles and the like. She likes to camp but I have no idea what tent she uses. She is also into watching wildlife and uses those bat scanners.She likes gadgets but not high tech ones if that makes sense.

Can anyone think of a good gift? Around the £20 mark, something that is useful but also like a proper present IYSWIM. What can't you camp or hike without?

Slubberdegullion Thu 14-Jul-11 20:10:22

Delta pegs?

Clingons?

Both gadgety but not to gadgety and I don't camp without either of them.

moosemama Thu 14-Jul-11 20:31:15

Ooo I love those clingons, we have found hundreds of use for them from the beach shelter, to the awning, to the camper van winter cover and even making dens in the garden for the dcs. blush

Delta pegs are amazing as well.

What about something like this. My fil is a caravanner, but obsessed with what the weather is going to be like. We bought one for him and he loves it.

SuePurblybilt Thu 14-Jul-11 20:34:19

Thank you, I do like the clingons and the weather thingy. The weather one could be good - she also scuba dives so I might look for one you can programme with tide times.
<ponders>

Might be miles off the mark but what about an Opinel.

Is very beautiful, iconic design, but also supremely useful.

SuePurblybilt Thu 14-Jul-11 20:41:45

It is very nice (and she would like the pouch and probably wear it on her belt daily grin). Is a knife a bit of an odd gift? I think not under the circumstances but I may not be there when she opens her gifts, will I appear menacing? grin

MisSalLaneous Thu 14-Jul-11 20:51:23

I'd have to say a kelly kettle type (I've got Eydon, which I love) is my favourite camping item.

Otherwise, what about a proper Thermos flask?

Folding spade always gets used. (we have cheaper version, but works fine for our purposes)

I want to get an axe to split logs for wood burner, so maybe she'd like that kind of thing?

Ooh, I do love a camping shop thread.

MisSalLaneous Thu 14-Jul-11 20:51:49

grin whoops, ignore axe if knife already suspect!

Slubberdegullion Thu 14-Jul-11 20:55:44

So long as she gives you a penny Sue then giving a knife is fine.

Wildy, the Forge Steel is also beautiful, an iconic design and supremely useful.

SuePurblybilt Thu 14-Jul-11 20:56:46

grin at axe. Imagine their faces.
She has a kelly kettle or two, we use them a lot when teaching. She actually uses hers at home too, to get that smoky tea flavour presumably grin. Very odd....

SuePurblybilt Thu 14-Jul-11 20:58:19

I do like the knives (interesting about the penny). They are my toppermost so far.

Slubberdegullion Thu 14-Jul-11 21:06:40

Giving a knife as a gift is considered unlucky as it 'severs' the friendship. To get around the superstition the receiver pays the gift giver for the knife with a penny.

Roffle @ Slubber, true, true......

If we ever meet, it need to be with mallets in handgrin

Opinels really are lovely things, really nice to use.

SuePurblybilt Thu 14-Jul-11 21:10:24

Ah, we make our own mallets in forest school, if I ever make a meet up and stumble across Camp Corner, I will bring mine smile.
I think the knife will be a good gift (and not at all sinister grin)

Christ, now that sounds menacing, I wasn't challenging you to a mallet ruck there.

Very interesting about the penny, I've never heard that and have given several knives as gifts. <worried>

SuePurblybilt Thu 14-Jul-11 21:13:02

You see? I give off meancing mallet and knife vibes. I'll get a restraining order in the thank-you card won't I?

SuePurblybilt Thu 14-Jul-11 21:13:29

that would be menacing. Not meancing.

Slubberdegullion Thu 14-Jul-11 21:34:18

<casually strokes mallet in lap a la Blofeld>

My mother is totally unsuperstitious apart from the knives and pennies rule.

Slubberdegullion Thu 14-Jul-11 21:35:25

Sue if you stuck a picture of a kitten in a basket of wool on the knife that would balance out any menacingness.

SuePurblybilt Thu 14-Jul-11 21:37:07

Good point. Or a nice smiley pick of Terry Wogan or something unthreatening.

No that is all wrong, the image in my head now is of a kitten card impaled on the knife and I think that would give out the wrong mesage entirely.

MisSalLaneous Thu 14-Jul-11 21:40:56

Hmm, she'll have to give you a fiver if you give her an axe. Would be beneficial when if mallet flight breaks out though...

Seriously, those knives are beautiful, I think that would be a lovely gift from a very thoughtful friend.

Slubberdegullion Thu 14-Jul-11 21:42:36

Hahahahahaha

Ok yes kittens OR Terry Wogan both impaled on the knife would be seriously ne-naw-ne-naw restraining order.

Terry Wogan holding a kitten WRAPPING PAPER would be totally fine though.

SuePurblybilt Thu 14-Jul-11 21:44:15

We don't use axes (in forest school), we use billhooks so I don't know how handy she'd be with one but I take your point about the fiver. An axe could really sever a friendship grin.

The knives are the thing I think. Impaled on a fluffy kitten card.

Am properly loling here, knife buying should be a cinch SuePurbly, but good luck finding the wrapping paper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now