Talk

Advanced search

camping this weekend

(32 Posts)
OhYouBadBadCrookshanks Thu 14-Jul-11 07:41:39

oooh what fun, heavy rain and gusting up to 45mph in the SW (where we are going) very wet and windy practically everywhere over the weekend.
The upside is that campsites should be a little quieter grin

Slubberdegullion Thu 14-Jul-11 08:19:17

It's not looking good is it.

We are due to go on big family group camp to air field but rumours in playground yesterday were that it was all going to be cancelled.

What is your Internet weather website of choice Bad?

brambleschooks Thu 14-Jul-11 08:53:35

What is the forecast for nw? We have tickets for huge pageant of power extravaganza and fireworks concert! We've done it in the rain before so will be land of hope and glorying under a tarp.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 14-Jul-11 09:07:33

Me and DD are going tomorrow. I've been checking two different weather websites, one suggests showers, the other sunny spells but with a max temp of 17.
I decided against buying a new tent, it looks as if me and DD will be moving next week rather than at the end of the month.

MegBusset Thu 14-Jul-11 09:15:13

We're supposed to be on the N Norfolk coast - forecast heavy rain and thunderstorms, if the outlook doesn't improve drastically then we're Not Going <lightweight emoticon>

OhYouBadBadCrookshanks Thu 14-Jul-11 10:21:21

Slubber, for a quick forecast I'd say the met office everytime. I know they don't always get it right but they get it wrong a lot less often than other sites.

NW wet and windy Saturday and Sunday, maybe a pause in between.

Best place for camping atm this weekend is the SW. Not quite so wet and a bit more sun but peg those tents down well!! (delta pegs at the ready)

WhereTheWildThingsWere Thu 14-Jul-11 10:25:39

North Norfolk coast for us too.

Am thinking of maybe delaying by a day (we are going for a week) but the forcast doesn't look quite as bad today as it did yesterday [hopeful emoticon].

OhYouBadBadCrookshanks Thu 14-Jul-11 10:29:45

lol WWTW, you are right that it doesnt look quite so bad rain wise. If you go tomorrow you have the benefit of putting the tent up in the dry and relative calm. Otherwise you are going to have to time it rather well.

MegBusset Thu 14-Jul-11 10:49:39

Where you going, WTWW? (so I can look put for your tent flying past grin)

Our DC are 2 and 4 so it really could be miserable if it rains all weekend...

bollywoodkate Thu 14-Jul-11 10:54:33

going next weekend with about 20 under-fives... any ideas for games but don't say cricket or rounders cos they get bored in 2 seconds when they realise they can't actually hit the ball.

mell242 Thu 14-Jul-11 11:41:51

We due to be going to Suffolk on Sunday for 2 nights. Keeping a close eye on the weather forecasts...don't mind a bit of rain but winds and thunder...errr no thank you. Fingers crossed for everyone!

WhereTheWildThingsWere Thu 14-Jul-11 11:52:33

OYBBK, no can do tomorrow, is ds's last day of term, so it's sat or sun atm.

Fingers are so crossed for another small inprovement when I get up in the morning.

MegBusset, we are going to Clippesby Hall, what about you?

MegBusset Thu 14-Jul-11 13:37:09

We couldn't get into Clippesby, we're going to Kelling Heath. The plan at the moment is to go tomorrow afternoon when it should be dry, and see how we go on Saturday - we're meant to be there til Sunday but I have a low tolerance for being damp!

MegBusset Thu 14-Jul-11 13:37:55

Luckily we live locally so if all else fails we'll make a dash for home and send DH back to get the tent later grin

northender Thu 14-Jul-11 13:42:31

We're off camping too this weekend. Silverdale on NW coast. We do a group camp most years with friends and every year it rains! Have fun everyone.

OhYouBadBadCrookshanks Thu 14-Jul-11 14:48:11

It is looking a a reasonable bit better smile less wet Saturday and less gale-ish Sunday. Hooray! met office is now showing thunderstorms in the nw for Sunday hmm

mel2005 Thu 14-Jul-11 15:12:22

we were going to try and camp near wells or holkham as the holkham hall fair is on sat and sun but i think we are going to stay at home.

WhereTheWildThingsWere Thu 14-Jul-11 15:40:29

Oh but Holkham Hall fair is fab, we went to the last one, and on arrival the weather was dire and by the afternoon it was beautiful, we had an amazing day.

You should go smile.

OYBBK it is looking better isn't it? Not just my wishful thinking.

mel2005 Thu 14-Jul-11 20:07:17

if the weather gets out nice we will drive there from home we are not that far away, we do go to the beach at holkham alot we love it. it would have been an adventure to camp and walk to the fair. we love going to the fair and then a walk on the best beach in norfolk but its not fun with four littleones when its raining and windy. dh will not want to camp if the weather is bad, he will be in a grump all weekend. fingers crossed for good weather...

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 15-Jul-11 06:49:36

I've decided not to go. It hasn't stopped raining for a couple of days now and the ground will be sodden.
Ho hum, looks like it's the swimming pool again for me and DD.

mel2005 Fri 15-Jul-11 10:45:48

its lovely in norfolk today...really sunny
dare i mention having a BBQ today...tempted to put the bell tent up in the garden again and camp out tonight but the grass is still a bit yellow from when it was up last week.

MegBusset Fri 15-Jul-11 11:05:33

We're going smile

Gonna go this afternoon, hopefully we'll get a BBQ tonight, and come back tomorrow if the rain sets in.

mel2005 Fri 15-Jul-11 12:51:05

have fun, kelling is lovely

OhYouBadBadCrookshanks Sat 16-Jul-11 09:21:44

Tipping down this morning but not too windy or cold. Lovely nights sleep inthe tent. Didn't even need a wee. Heading out for a walk on the moors now smile

OhYouBadBadCrookshanks Sat 16-Jul-11 09:24:02

rain should clear out from SW late afternoon no idea about rest of country . Tomorrow looks horrid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: