Talk

Advanced search

Best cool box? Best lantern?

(16 Posts)
NettleTea Wed 13-Jul-11 09:53:47

looking for the best medium sized (2 person 2, 3 days) coolbox, non electric and best lanterns/lights. Any advice would be great.

winefairy Wed 13-Jul-11 11:45:52

Heard such great things about Icey-Tek that I was persuaded to buy one. Unfortunately, can't confirm it's brilliance as it's currently on a cargo ship somewhere in the middle of the Ocean but a few people have them on here so I'm sure someone more helpful will be along shortly.

Marking place for lantern!

Incidentally, love the look of your glampsite! Really gorgeous, NettleTea.

oranges123 Wed 13-Jul-11 11:51:48

Icey teks or Coleman Xtremes seem to be popular here but I am afraid I can't comment as I don't have either...yet.

On lamps, we have a rechargeable one from Decathlon which is brilliant - a couple of settings and an orange night light which is great for little ones. Have only tested it over weekends but it seems to last well. It does come with very bossy instructions about recharging though which I have so far complied with. Not sure what will happen when I inevitably slack.

As you have a lovely glampsite though you might want to get a few hurricane oil lamps as well which you can pick up all over the internet and in most hardware shops. Very atmospheric and you can get oil with citronella in for mozzie repelling.

aliceliddell Wed 13-Jul-11 11:59:50

Saw/heard a great coolbox idea - put frozen milk cartons in it, then you have milk and a cold coolbox. (Bet I'm the only person who didn't already do that)

Funtimewincies Wed 13-Jul-11 13:13:52

We've got this Varta lamp. It's really good with a nice sturdy feel, although I remember it being cheaper when we got it a few months ago confused.

DontCallMeBaby Wed 13-Jul-11 17:39:03

If you search Amazon for 300 lumen lantern you get three hits returned, including that Varta lamp - they're all the same lantern, and as you'll see, vary in price quite a lot. We have the Cybalite one and although it's not been used in anger yet it is a very solid bit of kit, and very bright.

Badgermoose Wed 13-Jul-11 19:14:25

We've got a coleman xtreme and its fab. We got a 70L one which is vast and probably more than you need, but I think they do a 45 and 60L version.

We also have the Varta lamp and thats great too!!

alice - I only started freezing milk this year, diluted squash in an old water bottle also works well and great for picnincs

NettleTea Wed 13-Jul-11 21:02:41

I have some of the hurricane lamps but Im a bit scared about them falling over and setting fire to the tents!
Will have a search for those others and take a look. Thanks everyone

Piffpaffpoff Thu 14-Jul-11 13:47:54

I have the smallest Coleman Xtreme and it's great. We've just come back from three days away and it was lovely warm weather and everything in the box stayed very cold. On the downside, it takes up a lot of space in the car.

Can't recommend a lantern but I can say don't buy a cheap wind up LED one,I got one from Asda and it is CRAP. You'd get more light by striking a single match!

Batteryhuman Thu 14-Jul-11 19:11:36

I love a gas lamp. That wooshy noise, and the warm glow but have torshes and wind up for bedtime and loo trips.

Slubberdegullion Thu 14-Jul-11 20:18:30

Icey-tekster here. I love it. Keeps food cold for aaaaaages and is big, orange and in your face.

Use solar lanterns for night lights, wind up lantern for card games and head torches for night reading.

3rdnparty Thu 14-Jul-11 20:32:47

we have this cool box
http://www.campandfish.co.uk/igloo-marine-36-coolbox-51558-p.asp
as I could not convince dh we needed an iceytek, and hadn't learnt the proper method of ' how did that get here' camping shopping by thengrin its good and can also be used as a seat.... (the larger ones have purpose made cushions hmm

we have had hurricane lamp- looked lovely -leaked everywhere, felt very dangerous...

then gas lamp as I liked the glow rather than LED - its very noisy! - but still using with head torches, cheap led parasol lamp thing in the tent....

3rdnparty Thu 14-Jul-11 20:33:31

thought I'd ticked the box sorry...

3rdnparty Thu 14-Jul-11 20:33:53

and again- off for beer now....

3rdnparty Thu 14-Jul-11 20:34:37

www.campandfish.co.uk/igloo-marine-36-coolbox-51558-p.asp

sod auto

NettleTea Fri 15-Jul-11 19:24:54

think we might be doing a deal with Icey-Tek!!! woohoo!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now