Talk

Advanced search

Those of you with DC in washable nappies...

(18 Posts)
applejelly Mon 11-Jul-11 20:13:16

... what do you do when away camping? If you know the place you're going has a laundry room do you stick with your washables? Or is life just easier with disposables?

Planning first camping trip (2 nights) with 12 month DS - sooo excited! But also shock at all the extra planning needed now it's not just us grown-ups.

KnitterNotTwitter Mon 11-Jul-11 20:22:59

for two nights away i'd either save them up and then bring them home for washing or use flusable pads in WeeNees rather than the microfiber ones...

Hope that helps

Mind you my DS only pooed once every 10 days so we were lucky...

KnitterNotTwitter Mon 11-Jul-11 20:23:48

flushable

<sigh>

applejelly Mon 11-Jul-11 20:35:37

Thanks Knitter - I think I would run out of clean ones before the trip was over if I didn't wash them at some point. I suppose I could buy some more, but DH might not be very happy given the amount of stuff we have had to buy already!

I didn't know about flushable pads though, will def look into that as the pads take much longer to dry than the outers.

Rosebud05 Mon 11-Jul-11 21:26:53

I use paper ones if we're camping.

TBH, I wouldn't feel comfortable about sticking a load of poo in a communal washing machine, let alone the bulk and faff factor and not being able to dry if it rains.

Wigeon Mon 11-Jul-11 21:35:55

Er, just use disposables. The environment will be ok, you know.

(Am currently using reusables almost full-time on DD2 which have already seen us through DD1 to potty training. But no way I'd take the reusables camping).

ReshapeWhileDamp Mon 11-Jul-11 22:25:46

DS2 is in washables, but there's no way we're taking them with us camping! He's back into Nature Babies disposables while we're away.

mybabywakesupsinging Mon 11-Jul-11 23:02:12

We have a barely continent toddler and a baby in nappies.
Although dd (now 8 months) has been in washables (inherited from ds1 and 2) since the meconium stopped, she gets paper pants when camping.
Our tent is too small for a bag of unwashed nappies to be welcome.

Grumpla Tue 12-Jul-11 07:50:13

Give yourself a break. A few days of disposables will be fine.

BelleTent Tue 12-Jul-11 10:16:45

Yep, we've just done a two week camping trip with 1 year old DD and I decided that it would be more of a holiday if we didn't have to deal with reusables.

applejelly Tue 12-Jul-11 14:24:18

Thanks all - disposables it is!

<dances around pretend campfire>

Cosmosis Tue 12-Jul-11 16:25:57

we're taking disposables - I figure a) it's easier and b) I don't want washables sitting around in the heat stinking.

Think I am alone in that I always used washables when camping.

I used terries and used to dry them from the guy lines, proper eco bunting grin

All that behind me now though.

<wistful>

Fennel Tue 12-Jul-11 22:01:44

We used washables if we had a laundrette handy, which wasn't often. Or we'd use them for the last 3 days, knowing we were coming home to a washing machine.

amistillsexy Tue 12-Jul-11 22:05:32

gringringrin at Cosmosis and her eternal optimism...sitting around in the heat smile

Cosmosis Tue 12-Jul-11 22:21:14

I would add, we're not camping in the UK grin

Fennel Wed 13-Jul-11 10:37:21

You could all take lessons from my eco-hardcore sister. They went camping by train with a 1yo, took their washable nappies and washed them by hand in the cold tap on our basic remote Pembrokeshire campsite.

Dsis always beats me on the eco front, merely taking your washables to camp if you're going by car or campervan suddenly looks like the profligate planet-waster option.

applejelly Wed 13-Jul-11 20:34:12

shock at Fennel's sister! Wash by hand?? Eek.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now