Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aaaaaaarrrggggghhhhh

(21 Posts)

Twating metcheck.

Someone there knows when I am going on holiday and does things like this for a laugh.

Up until today the forcast for the week I am camping has been fabby, this morning three hundred mile and hour winds, what the actual jeffing jeff?

Last year they said it was going to snow.

In Norfolk.

In August.

hmm

Wankers.

Slubberdegullion Sun 10-Jul-11 09:49:42

WHAT???

I have never seen met check winds go pink before. Is that for real or is someone having a laugh?

It is a week away though so maybe in a few days it will have returned to balmy east anglian calmness.

Slubberdegullion Sun 10-Jul-11 09:52:15

It must be someone pissing about

those winds are over 12 on the beaufort scale

I think we would have heard if a tornado was expected in Norfolk wildy

pictish Sun 10-Jul-11 09:53:03

Ha ha welcome to my world.

As a seasoned camper, I can honestly say that this is the norm. As soon as that tent goes in the boot, the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Slubberdegullion Sun 10-Jul-11 09:53:17

better pack your delta pegs though wink

winefairy Sun 10-Jul-11 10:17:36

Same here! Surely it's a mistake. Meant to be going to Aviemore for the Soulpad's inaugural outing. According to Met Check we arrive in winds of 2mph.....a couple of hours later we will be swept up Wizard of Oz style in gusts of over 220mph. And it get's worse from there.

Wizard of Oz weather

winefairy Sun 10-Jul-11 10:20:43

<breathes into paper bag>

It's a mistake isn't it? There can't be a UK wide tornado. Surely?

lostinwales Sun 10-Jul-11 10:22:35

Now I'm no OYBBK but I think someone must have pressed the wrong button here surely? Either that or we are in for one interesting weekend and my friends BBQ will be postponed.

lostinwales Sun 10-Jul-11 10:23:32

Same for here, tee hee

I have said this before, but in my head, there is a nice little man who runs metcheck and every year his holiday conincides with mine and he leaves his teenage stoner son in charge to do the forcasting.

<ffffffffffffftttttttttttttttt> (huge inhale)

Heh heh heh, what does the pink button do?

<ffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttt>

Tornado stylee winds, cool.

<ffffffffffffffftttttttttttttt>

What's black?

<ffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttt>

Heh heh armageddon, funny.

<zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz>

We didn't get the snow last year, so I imagine we won't be blown off the campsite this year.

Do not panic winefairy, metcheck (imo) is the most unreliable weather service ever, I tend to check it and presume the weather will be exactly opposite to the forcast.

Yesterday they predicted rain all day for where we live live, we had not a drop, I don't know why I look at it, I really don't, it is like a compulsion.

<goes off to pack ruby slippers>

JetLi Sun 10-Jul-11 12:15:18

Can't be right, surely. Scarborough showing 200mph+ winds next weekend?

lostinwales Sun 10-Jul-11 14:22:20

Where's OYBBK when we need her? If we can bring down an ancient newspaper surely we can get to the bottom of weird wind predictions? <<goes off into a fantasy world where MN saves the world from a Day after Tomorrow type scenario helped by Hugh Grant>>

Deadly gusts of wind have disapeared now grin.

- Son, what have I told you? Do not press the pink button.

- Jeeez, sorry dad.

lostinwales Sun 10-Jul-11 14:35:16

grin

Shame I was getting into my saving the world scenario!

winefairy Sun 10-Jul-11 20:15:07

Oh, the relief!! Although it was terrifying fun while it lasted!

I had visions of DH's first camping trip going disastrously wrong. I envisaged him rocking in a corner during the Wizard of Oz weather repeating "There's no place like home, there's no place like home!"

<unpacks ruby slippers. Sighs. Unpacks Hugh Grant>

Slubberdegullion Sun 10-Jul-11 20:52:31

Rofl @ stoner dude with the pink wind button.

Glad things are looking more civilised for next week.

OhYouBadBadCrookshanks Sun 10-Jul-11 21:24:35

Metcheck uses an automated forecast without human input. When the computer model falls over (maybe failing to converge on an answer) it gives stupid results. its why I don't use metcheck smile

lostinwales Sun 10-Jul-11 21:25:32

Thank you OYBBC grin

OhYouBadBadCrookshanks Sun 10-Jul-11 21:26:48

grin you are welcome smile

EggyAllenPoe Sun 10-Jul-11 21:34:13

the wettest day in june, we were in our third night in our tent. it was the rainiest day in June since early c20th.

it isn't just the Met check people that have a stoner in charge.

ReshapeWhileDamp Mon 11-Jul-11 22:33:44

I thought it was maybe something to do with St Swithin's day? grin (15th July, day before my birthday, if it rains on the 15th it'll rain for the rest of summer, basically.) I have pink wind (299 mph) from the 16th for our postcode. Thought maybe someone who works for Met Check is very, very superstitious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now