Talk

Advanced search

Campsite recommendations in the SW (Devon preferably, Cornwall okay too)?

(9 Posts)
Kingsroadie Sat 09-Jul-11 16:52:52

Just wondering if anyone has been to any really nice ones? We would love to go somewhere with nice loos/showers, and ideally not too many tents. Would prefer to pay more for a nicer campsite. Have read threads on here mentioning Dornafield and Meadow Lake (Obv they aren't small but think Dornafield only takes 16 tents). We have a 19 month old and a dog.

Also is it likely that we would be able to get a pitch for August if we booked now or is it too late?!

Thank you!

EggyAllenPoe Sat 09-Jul-11 18:10:55

well..
Alpine Grove was very nice - here it is

they used to have a small solar-heated swiming pool.

although i usually camp at the CS nearby - usually very quiet indeed

Kingsroadie Sat 09-Jul-11 21:57:53

Thank you! I shall have a proper look once my Internet has started working again - bloody annoying - only have my iPhone tonight... And was going to do lots of camping investigation - grrr

flaime Sun 10-Jul-11 16:26:21

Dornafield is a nice site and the staff are lovely. We ended up in the camping field in our motorhome and it seemed nicer and quieter than the van pitches but not as private. it's a bit of a hike from there to the play areas but they are really nice when you get there.

babybaabaa Mon 11-Jul-11 18:07:29

This is a lovely site. The showers and loos are the cleanest I have ever seen. A lovely wooded dog walk close by too, and of course fabulous Bigbury beach which allows dogs on some parts in the Summer as well.

Kingsroadie Mon 11-Jul-11 18:42:20

Thank you! I still need to have a proper look at these once Internet back up again - no idea when that will be...

I have read things warning me off big campsites as likely to be v busy with not much space etc (but equally they will have better/bigger range of facilities than smaller ones I would imagine?) - true or false?

Thanks guys

piratecat Mon 11-Jul-11 18:45:42

i live in south devon, but when i didn't we used to go here when i was a kiddy.

stunning area

Bolberry

Lucycat Mon 11-Jul-11 19:07:25

Ooh yes the orchard at Dornafield is lovely- there is another site close by called Ross Park which looks good too.

Kingsroadie Mon 11-Jul-11 20:32:42

Thanks pirate - v helpful! Looks v pretty (from my iPhone) and love that part of the world.

Lucycat - it may actually have been a thread where you recommended that site that I got the original idea from...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now