Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone bother camping for just one night?

(15 Posts)
sandyballs Sat 09-Jul-11 07:29:32

Supposed to go yesterday but decided against it due to torrential rain ..... kids very disappointed and want to go today but it just seems an awful lot of hard work for just the one night.

I know I should really. Unless I convince them camping in the garden is a good idea.

YellowDinosaur Sat 09-Jul-11 07:34:12

We did last Sept. Really wanted to see what it was like with the boys as hadn't been with them before. Yes it was a lot of work (and needed the same amount of stuff!) but they enjoyed it go it was worth it. Only went about 45 mins away though - wouldn't have gone a lot further for just one night

sandyballs Sat 09-Jul-11 07:43:43

The site we are going to is about an hour or so, not too far. I did think we could reduce what we take but it seems impossible! Except for clothing I suppose.

chicaguapa Sat 09-Jul-11 07:47:35

We would, if it wasn't too far away. Get there as early as you can, enjoy the rest of the day and ask if you can leave after lunch on Sunday. Pack up mid afternoon and you'll have had a mice weekend away. smile

allhailtheaubergine Sat 09-Jul-11 07:49:16

We often do. And you have to take the same amount of stuff.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 09-Jul-11 07:50:58

We have, but only because the wind was so bad we gave upgrin

I think I would if the forecast was good and I didn't have to rush home for anything the following day.

Slubberdegullion Sat 09-Jul-11 08:04:18

Yup.

Did last weekend and will be doing again w/e after next.

gwan, go camp.

brambleschooks Sat 09-Jul-11 08:22:46

Yes. We have a short break camping kit which consists of popup tent and gas ring. Gan gwan gwan gwan you know you want to. Our friends came too, having only decided at ten on sat morning and we had a great time!

mel2005 Sat 09-Jul-11 08:48:32

yes, we are planning on doing it all summer at local sites but we will just buy dinner rather than cook it most of the time if there is somewhere near, we dont very often have takeaways (once every 6months) so it will be a nice treat for the kids (and you cant not have fish and chips if you are camping at the beach). we do have a really easy tent to put up (bell tent) the worst thing is pumping up four ready-beds for the kids and they dont take that long.
i would go for it....

iphonedrone Sat 09-Jul-11 10:41:04

we are tonight, but only 20 mins down the road

Fennel Sat 09-Jul-11 20:54:44

Yes, we do quite often. We don't have far to travel though, we live near good camping areas, and we just take less stuff.

NerfHerder Sun 10-Jul-11 21:31:34

We often do it... but I am fed-up of all the palaver for 1 night away.

I keep trying to hone our gear down, but we are down to bare bones already!

Marlinspike Sun 10-Jul-11 21:34:10

Go, go go..... cut down on cooking stuff by doing a big pot of chilli or something that you can just heat up when you get there. Oh, just thought, that won't really work will it, as you've got to have the sausage / beans / bacon /. eggs for breakfast, so still lots of cooking stuff needed...

Oh, go on, you know you want to!

herladyship Sun 10-Jul-11 21:34:38

Often do one night camps, especially if taking the dog grin

Nice long walk, pitch tent, cook tea, play cards guzzle wine sleep, breakfast, another walk, come home!

NettleTea Sun 10-Jul-11 21:53:02

yup - we do a single night camp at the other end of our farm every so often - really lazy not even leaving home!!
The kids love it, we have friends come down from London and local friends too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now