Talk

Advanced search

Decathlon tents. What is the quality like?

(6 Posts)
kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 07-Jul-11 16:22:47

As I've been advised that our old tent is quite likely beyond saving, I am thinking I may get a Base second 4.2 from Decathlon.
are they easy to erect and sturdy?

IloveJudgeJudy Thu 07-Jul-11 18:13:44

They're good tents, very easy to put up and take down, but if it's very windy the poles tend to bend with the wind then spring back upright.

It really depends what kind of camping you're thinking of doing. People in France seem to use Decathlon tents for weeks at a time, but I shouldn't think it's so good in Norfolk, or in the Gower, for example, as they're renowned as being quite windy places.

Go to Decathlon and look at the tents and ask to see them being put up.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 08-Jul-11 05:30:42

I will be using it next week in Holland. It's pretty flat there so will bewindy. I'll see if I can find another tent shop, or maybe take a chance on the one we have (leaky) until Mr Kreech comes back from his holidays.
Thanks

nuttysquirrel Sun 10-Jul-11 21:45:23

We have a trusty old one a £60 job and camp with it regularly in the highlands and islands of scotland, pretty windy places, has coped fine but as previous poster said it does 'flex' in windy conditions, not quite as robust as our £600 Quasar, can't get a table and chairs in that though.......

VivaLeBeaver Mon 11-Jul-11 19:06:11

I had one pitched in awful conditions on a cliff top in Devon last year. Was so windy the camper van was rocking and I was scared the van was going to blow over. The tent was empty as we were in the van and we have the base one with no groundsheet so even the bags of clothes weren't weighing it Dow. It was still there in the morning!

Now I admit the next day the wind got even worse and according to our camping neighbours when we got back our tent did blow halfway across the site thatnday while we were out. However I think that was partly due to me using cheap tent pegs. Nice people rep itched the tent in my absence and used some of their own fancy pegs. Kind of screw in ones. These held the tent securely for the next two days until we admitted defeat and packed up. The wind I could have coped with, rain was horizontal.

Was very impressed with tent.

Ineedalife Mon 11-Jul-11 21:42:22

Ours performed really well in high wind and heavy rain all night on thursday in cornwall.

I use heavy duty pegs for pegging out though. I also use the car as a wind break at night.

The poles do bend and flex but they pop back up which is good because they don't snap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now