Talk

Advanced search

ALBATROS!!

(14 Posts)
NettleTea Wed 06-Jul-11 21:15:44

My lovely albatros arrived via the courier from Holland. It's a deWaard Albatros, it also has a sun canopy and 4 side walls to extend the outside living space, and I LOVE it. The groundsheet is a really thick material - OH says it reminds him of the stuff they put on the sides of trucks (?) and the quality of workmanship is spectacular.
It was a little confusing to put up the first time, but I think now I understand how it goes together then it would be no harder than any other tent - the weight of the groundsheet holds it in place nicely so that makes it much easier to avoid uneveness. Also there are about 100 guy ropes to put in in the correct order. My MIL helped me put it up (good job, considering she has polymyalgia rheumatica) and I managed to take it down by myself.
Weighs a bloody ton, so not one to take hiking, but for a camp somewhere where you can dump from the car, or borrow a wheelbarrow!
Waiting for the bigger brother Herring gull to arrive now - it sleeps 6 and has double poles at the centre rather than the single pole.
And looking for a variolouffel, which is a huge awning like a wing!
Pics maybe here pics

wrigglytummy Wed 06-Jul-11 21:31:26

wow, what a stunner. Did you get it on marktplaats?

NettleTea Wed 06-Jul-11 21:32:57

I did. With the help of google translate! Found a courier company called the parcel network who brought it over using DHL for just over £30, which is incredible. They have just charged me the same for the gull, and that weighs 55kg

wrigglytummy Thu 07-Jul-11 10:10:21

Wow, I tried emailing a couple of advertisers and got no replies, then ended up buying small pyramid on ebay...but I still hanker after a proper dutch tent with the vario-watsit!
Very jealous.
Good luck with you glamping venture :-)

Slubberdegullion Thu 07-Jul-11 15:39:33

Oh it's lovely Nettle. Thank you so much for the description and photos. I see you only have a double in there, is it just going to sleep 2?

NettleTea Thu 07-Jul-11 19:51:39

well, I had to put it up to get some press shots for the (shhhhh) glamping stuff, so on those occassions it will sleep 2. But when the curtains are up there is plenty of room for 4, its just gorgeous, I love it so much. And the lovely guy I bought it from sent me 6 packs of brand new tent pegs - what a sweetie

Slubberdegullion Thu 07-Jul-11 20:23:03

Oh how lovely of him.

Such a beautiful tent.

Gwan, show us our glampy photos.

scaryt Thu 07-Jul-11 20:47:57

Love, love, love it.

needanewname Thu 07-Jul-11 21:06:30

Can I request that people stop buying even more gorgeous tents?!

It took me a year to get dh to cave in and agree to a bell tent, I can't get hooked on one of these beauties, he just won't allow it wink

NettleTea Thu 07-Jul-11 21:12:46

heres the glampy pics - dont look too bad on me Slub' we do the old 'bushcraft thing' too......
glampy pics

ReshapeWhileDamp Thu 07-Jul-11 23:18:19

Oooh! Ercol! I have that daybed - I inherited it from my grandparents before I knew it was trendy. grin I have three chairs too. Most of them are in storage because we ran out of room here, but DH knows it's more than his life is worth to suggest I offload them. Serious sentimental attachment, plus I know they're desirable now...

pssst. I like yer apple boxes. <runs away from camping minimalists>

Slubberdegullion Fri 08-Jul-11 08:16:14

Cor, that is Glamping Level 11 innit Nettle. There appears to be a metal pig sculpture in the Albatros, what's that for then? grin

Lovely photos though. What's the orange tent?

NettleTea Fri 08-Jul-11 21:53:00

Ha Ha. I knew the pig would come in handy one day, and he is a nice 'farmyard' touch that those Canopy and Stars people seem to like (I seem to remember them trying to persuade me to hide a piano in a bush in the woods somewhere just for a laugh!)
The orange tent is a Lichfield - not sure of the model, its about 4m square and did have rather nasty orange floral curtains, which I thought took the retro look a little too far!

NerfHerder Mon 11-Jul-11 22:50:40

shock That daybed is utterly fantastic! I so want one... oh your tent is nice too wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now