Talk

Advanced search

Traveljohn / sheewee?

(5 Posts)
YellowDinosaur Wed 06-Jul-11 18:59:38

Having just started a thread about portable toilets (KK vs LL) I have rediscovered these and wonder if they might be the answer I am looking for. (Shewee for me only obviously - read on a review that this makes use of the traveljohn easier)

Pros:
Very compact so won't piss off dh (have already done a bit of camping shopping and haven't fessed up to everything yet!)
Seem to be easy to use - and sure the boys (3 and 5) would manage as they do standing up wees no prob?
Wee solidifies so easy to dispose of

Cons:
Expensive - over £1 a wee!
Not sure how easy this would be for poos - Me and Dh wouldn't use for this obviously but sometimes the boys need a poo in the middle of the night so it would need to work for this too to compete with a bigger portable toilet.
Not sure boys could do this on their own without waking us up but they would be able to manage with KK / LL I think.

Does anyone have any experience of this and what do you think?

Whereabouts are you going to be camping? I have only let anyone wee in the tent if the weather if beyond horrendous. I wouldn't wee in the tent under any circumstances, I would walk through a tornado to use the loo.

If pooing was needed it would be the loo full stop.

YellowDinosaur Wed 06-Jul-11 21:46:21

We're going to Fisherground in Cumbria.

Personally the thought of dragging a moaning child to the toilets in the rain is NOT my idea of a relaxing holiday!!!! Not sure my fellow campers would thank me either... I am a balking a bit at the idea of poos in the tent but tbh its only likely first thing in the am to give us a little longer in bed.

If its dry and we are near a hedge I am more than happy to go outside the tent (as is dh) but not sure we can bank on the weather for 5 days in the Lakes.

That is pretty grim but otherwise we're likely to be up at 5.30!

V.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v bad form to pee in the hedge of a campsite.

<stern glare>

I know what you mean about having to take them in the night, tbh mine (3 and nearly 7) hardly ever have to go in the night, imo it is almost impossible to put children to bed at a normal time on a campsite and just a huge waste of parental energy and a lovely evening, so ours usually to bed about 9.30, so that is when they have their last wee meaning they are usually fine 'till 7ish when they wake.

Though tbf they pretty much never go in the night at home, your children may be different.

It is me who despite going to the loo before bed always wakes up around 2amish, tries really hard to go back to sleep, but always ends up having to go. Drives me crackers, I never wee at night at home, how does my bladder know it is under canvas?

You will not believe now much a poo will smell in a hot tent in the morning. The chance of you continuing to sleep are minimal grin

YellowDinosaur Thu 07-Jul-11 21:42:29

Didn't realise it was not done to wee in the hedge on a campsite! Oops - consider me tol! blush I will use this as an extra argument to get an alternative to dh!

Yes fair enough about a poo and a warm tent. Tbh its more for the wees anyway - they certainly don't tend to poo in the middle of the night just first thing in the am (often before we get up though). Agree about letting them stay up late - I'm certainly not under any illusions that we will stick to the usual bedtime routine when camping (I have the image of them caterpillaring in their vango nitestars drinking hot chocolate that you gave me to persuade me to buy them grin anyway, although the reality is likely to be more them charging around while we try and persuade them that they are tired so WE can go to bed!)

I'm thinking I'll prob go for something a bit more substantial like a luggable loo / kampa khazi anyway...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now