Talk

Advanced search

Kampa Khazi or Luggable Loo?

(28 Posts)
YellowDinosaur Wed 06-Jul-11 18:38:28

Ladies please help me find a decent portable loo!

I originally ordered the boginabag and quite honestly it is rubbish. Wobbly and unstable and my 3 year old didn't ahve a chance of getting on it on his own so defeats some of the object.

I want something that is stable enough for the boys (3 and 5) to get on and off without a major problem so that we avoid nighttime walks to the loo in the rain when camping.

Having already rejected a compact foldable option I have decided that enough is enough and I'm going to buy something sturdy. I figure both of these can be packed with stuff so won't take too much extra room anyway.

To my brief assessment the KK looks to be a bit bigger but lower and more stable so might be a better bet for the boys. The luggable loo seems to have the advantage of being a bit more compact but might be less stable for the boys.

If any of you have experience of either of these (or of both - even better!) then I'd love to hear all about it!

Guaparesaca Wed 06-Jul-11 19:23:59

The Kampa Khazi is really good, just christened ours this week- stable, easy to use in the middle of the night in the dark, really easy to empty as you just take the bucket bit out with the wee inner lid, thumbs up from me & mine !

wrigglytummy Wed 06-Jul-11 21:38:03

YellowDino, I'm still with you in your search, went camping last weekend with a potty but was quite close to the loos, my boys are 2&4, so I am after the same solution as you...still!
Can anyone help us? The KK is too bulky for my over laden car, the LL looks good as my gas cylinder apparently fits inside it to travel, but I'm worried about the stability.

YellowDinosaur Wed 06-Jul-11 21:42:41

Guaparesaca interested to hear if you found it easy enough to pack stuff inside it for your journey? This would be the deal breaker for us as we are NOT minimalist campers and the car is already rammed without this.

Wrigglytummy let me know how you get on! Potty is definately too ilttle for ours now - we've had too many leaking because of too big wees from my 2 to rely on that! Plus not going to work for me and dh...

Guaparesaca Wed 06-Jul-11 22:46:53

Yellow we are not light travellers either so I know your dilemma ! We stored electrical stuff in it on the outward journey- battery charger and so on as it is dead space otherwise.

Potty in theory is a good one however- much hilarity and trepidation when us big people attempted to use it in the middle of the night, re capacity issue !

Think I read in a thread on 'camping' here about someone using nappies inside as an extra absorbent component- worth a try maybe.

Wriggly I am assuming your 2 year old is no longer in nappies- I have every respect for you, I think I will be waiting til nearer 3 to go down that route with my 2 year old DS !!

zonkin Wed 06-Jul-11 23:40:06

We had the Kampa khazi but sadly the outer shell cracked (and we're not heavy people and it was strictly for middle of the night wees only). I gaffa taped it but it cracked elsewhere. Went to get another one as I need (and the kids do too) a night time toilet but went for the luggable loo as it takes up less space in the car and seemed a bit sturdier. Having tested it on our last trip I can vouch for it and prefer it to the Kampa khazi. The Kampa khazi does take up a lot o f space in the car and I'm not impressed with how quickly the outer shell fell apart. Love my luggable loo tho!

wrigglytummy Thu 07-Jul-11 10:17:28

Guaparesaca, my 2 yr old is dry(ish) by day, but both are in nappies at night still! So I like to keep a loo option close to hand as there is ofetn not much warning of an impending need for the loo!
I actually tried the potty myself blush
(single mum - long trip to loo - not leaving kids alone in tent) .....hence the need for a better solution!
Looks like the luggable loo is currently the front runner!

YellowDinosaur Thu 07-Jul-11 21:44:31

I'm still undecided although 2:1 in favour of the luggable loo makes that probably the preferred option at the mo... Be interested in a few more comments if there are any out there?

musicposy Thu 07-Jul-11 22:11:16

We have the kampa khazi and have found it very sturdy and safe feeling. I do like it and think it is a bargain for what we paid for it. You feel like you are sitting on a proper toilet and not something that's going to give way any minute.

Just 2 issues. First, it's bulky to store and take, though we turned it upside down in the car and filled it with other items (not food related, we couldn't bring ourselves to!) so really there wasn't much space wasted. But it is quite big in relation to a small car boot.

Second was, and I don't know if some family members have particularly acid poo blush but the bottom of the inside seemed a bit, well, eroded once it had been used. We did use it very heavily over the best part of a week, and it still seems fully functional, just that the bottom of the bucket is no longer nice and shiny. Plus, it didn't half fill up quickly (actually, that's probably just DH using it grin, discount that).

On balance, I would recommend it as a good buy.

chicaguapa Thu 07-Jul-11 22:16:05

We have a luggable loo and never had a problem with stability. Highly recommended. It does indeed fit the gas bottle in it for travel, plus other odds and ends and doubles up as a rubbish bin during the day so you get a lot of use for the space it takes up in the boot. We use pedal bin liners and cat litter, which works for us. We then don't have to carry it to the disposal point in the morning to empty. We just take the bag out and the next person to go to the showers takes it to the bins. We've never had a problem with it.

needanewname Thu 07-Jul-11 23:41:52

Damn the luggable loo looks a lot better.

I bought the kampa khazi and am now looking to sell as it doens't fit in the car. The LL does look smaller - is it though?

wrigglytummy Fri 08-Jul-11 19:21:13

Right, decision made, luggable loo it is....now to find the best deal!

YellowDinosaur Fri 08-Jul-11 22:00:30

wrigglytummy I think that will be you and me both! let me know if you find a bargain!

wrigglytummy Fri 08-Jul-11 22:53:29

Yellow, [[ http://lambdasport.co.uk/index.php?c=01&n=319530011&i=B000FIAPXO&x=Luggable_Loo_Portable_Camping_toilet This]] is the cheapest I can find so far, but I've never heard of them, so not sure about ordering.
I have a 'pottette' folding potty / loo seat thing that I think I'll have to use for the boys with the luggable loo...,but I think it is the best option overall for us.

biscuitmad Fri 08-Jul-11 22:55:20

Ive got a kampi khazi for me as I dont like the dark and wont go out in the pitch black. I also take a potty for my lo who is still under three. Best thing we got was a roof rack you can store loads of stuff up top.

wrigglytummy Fri 08-Jul-11 22:55:22

Trying link again!

YellowDinosaur Sat 16-Jul-11 16:36:50

Well I've just ordered a luggable loo - fingers crossed it does the job! Got it here - £24.98 including p&p. Cheaper than the link from wrigglytummy as the postage there was £7.50. You can also get it from go outdoors for £22.50 with a discount card if you can collect but unfortunately they didn't have it in stock at our local one.

YellowDinosaur Thu 21-Jul-11 16:50:40

Well my luggable loo arrived today and it is HUGE! Happy I can pack stuff inside it but it is much bigger than I was expecting!

Still it is very stable, both boys like it and can get on and off easily (they have been fighting over who gets to sit on it while watching the Tour de France on TV! grin) so thats most of the battle!

zonkin Thu 21-Jul-11 17:21:50

I have to say, luggable loo is quite a bit smaller than the kampa khazi so good thing you went for that!

wrigglytummy Fri 22-Jul-11 00:45:47

Yellow, I am still procrastinating over a decision. Great to hear that your 2 boys are happy to use it, hopefully my 2 of similar age will be fine too.... Must get on and order it!

YellowDinosaur Fri 22-Jul-11 20:18:16

If it is smaller then it is indeed a blessing I went for the ll! Dh's face was a picture as it was - I think he might have had a coronary if it was any bigger!

YellowDinosaur Sat 13-Aug-11 21:27:32

Well I am happy to report back that the luggable loo was a total f*cking godsend.

Used for wees only in the main living area (not huge) of the tent and because of the lid you could not smell a thing in the sleeping area. The loo block was a good 5 mins walk and it rained A LOT so without it we would ahve been stuffed. Both boys found it easy to get off and on and actually really like it (very amused about weeing in tent grin).

Even dh tought it was great - he was like this hmm before trip and this grin as a result annd freely admitted that it was one of my best ever buys!

So if you are still prevaricating wrigglytummy then worry no longer and buy one! smile

YellowDinosaur Sat 13-Aug-11 21:28:47

Should add that we only used it at night and put a swing bin liner in it. Started off with the cheap nappies in to soak up some wee but the ones we chose were so cheap they absorbed not a lot. Didn't matter though.

A great bit of kit

Migsy1 Sat 13-Aug-11 23:14:53

And you can get liners for the luggable loo which have some sort of absorbent powder stuff in them. Not cheap though.

YellowDinosaur Sun 14-Aug-11 10:03:32

Yes I saw them Migsy but they were abotu £15 for 4 or 5. Our bin bag worked fine for a lot less!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now