Talk

Advanced search

Family tent recommendations

(25 Posts)
AlmaMartyr Wed 06-Jul-11 13:33:05

Looks like we might be buying a new tent and wondered if anyone has any recommendations? We have a Coleman 400 which seems pretty good but it isn't really big enough for much more than a weekend, especially with family. We're a family of 4, (1yo DS and nearly 3yo DD) and want something quite big, for long weekends and big holidays. Not sure about budget, my DParents have said they might get it for us so don't want to go overboard but I know they'd like to get something good quality (hoping it will last really well!)

Not sure what kind of features I'm looking for really. It'd need to have at least 2 separate bedrooms (one for us, one for kids), preferably 3 for when they're older but I'm not too fussed about that really. What do I need to look for? I've never bought a tent before and am stupidly excited!

UsingMainlySpoons Wed 06-Jul-11 13:46:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jojay Wed 06-Jul-11 13:52:08

We have the Outwell Montana 6.

It's fantastic, and really well reviewed. Really roomy for a family of 4, easy to put up, excellent quality and really sturdy.

You won't regret getting one, I promise smile

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 06-Jul-11 13:59:26

We have the Kampa Filey 6.

We love it. The layout is great with bedrooms at the back, large living area, then integral porch area at the front. Also has a annex on the side which we use for the loo and storage.

GingerWrath Wed 06-Jul-11 14:12:49

We are looking at buying the Outwell Montana 6 and awning. It's an awesome tent!

AlmaMartyr Wed 06-Jul-11 14:30:50

That's a good tip about the zips. I'm a bit confused about having the DCs in another room to us anyway so that would comfort me a bit. The Montana sounds great, so does the Kampa Filey.

We'll always be driving I think, so don't need to worry too much about portability.

I was looking at the Quechua but not sure DH would be keen - we've had a nightmare packing away some pop-up equipment in the past (well, he has) and so it's a case of dented pride really.

I was wondering about a Soulpad but don't know anything about them and might struggle to sell them to DH and DParents if they're paying.

GingerWrath Wed 06-Jul-11 14:51:53

The bedrooms in the Outwell Montana have a zippered adjoining wall so you can make it into one large room.

AlmaMartyr Wed 06-Jul-11 15:13:44

Oh, that could be useful, if it's nice and spacious then DS might feel that he's got his own space but won't need to be separate. Although I asked DD whether she would like her own bedroom in a tent and she said 'WOW!' and wandered off planning what she's going to put in it so I think separate rooms would be a hit!

GingerWrath Wed 06-Jul-11 15:44:41

The one we have now has the same feature. DH has a paranoid thing about being able to see DD(4yo) in the night so we have the partition wall unzipped and put a small cabinet in between our mattress and hers.

AlmaMartyr Wed 06-Jul-11 17:22:50

That's a good idea. I'm not keen on the tents where they are on the opposite to us (although I guess it might be useful when they're a lot older!).

I keep wondering now if I'm going mad to be buying another tent when ours is fairly good, but then I think it was fairly cramped with all of us, especially at night and not sure if I'd want to be away for a week in it.

GingerWrath Wed 06-Jul-11 17:28:36

That's why we are investing in a bigger tent for next year, we'll keep the one we have now for weekenders, but when the weather is bad or after DD goes to bed we need more living space!

AlmaMartyr Wed 06-Jul-11 17:47:37

Yeah, I worry about what we'd actually do if the weather was grim. Also, DD stayed up quite late with us which is fine, but it'd be good if there was a bit more space for her to play inside. Bigger bedrooms would be great too, I spent a lot of the night worrying about rolling on to one of them.

applejelly Wed 06-Jul-11 19:55:27

We're thinking about the Vango Calisto 600 as our first family tent but it's proving difficult to find reviews online or to find one in the flesh (canvas? polyester?) to look at. It has 1 big bedroom which you can separate into 2 if needed and great headroom.
We are excited about actually standing up in a tent!

IloveJudgeJudy Wed 06-Jul-11 23:32:56

I always recommend the Hi-Gear Voyager 6. My DB has one and the reviews for it are always fantastic. I have seen it up in the flesh and it's lovely and spacious. There is allegedly a canopy coming out, in April, then it was May, then June and don't know if it's out yet. It's a polyester tent, but there are always lots of offers on it at Go Outdoors. My DB says it only takes him on his own about 20 mins to put up (without the pegging).

There's loads of room in the bedrooms and in the living area so it won't matter if it rains as you'll have enough room for two tables - one to eat from and one for colouring/activities. Good luck with whatever tent you choose.

ChiddelyPie Wed 06-Jul-11 23:53:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlmaMartyr Thu 07-Jul-11 07:20:50

Thanks for more recommendations! I spent last night browsing and getting very excited. We're off to a tent place tomorrow where you can see them put up so v.happy. DH is quite keen to have one with a third bedroom (at least potentially) but not sure how fussed he really is.

mell242 Thu 07-Jul-11 08:05:10

I love our Vango Icarus 600, lots of room, really cosy and looks great. Didn't really consider anything else after I'ld seen it up in a tent place and don't regret our choice.

AlmaMartyr Fri 08-Jul-11 08:17:07

Ooh, off to tent place to look at them all put up this afternooon! DD as excited as me. I have a long list of ones to look for smile

Piffpaffpoff Fri 08-Jul-11 08:39:38

Another vote for the Icarus 600, you can get an xl version where the living area is about twice the size of the normal one. It's available from one of the online shops. I have the normal sized one and love it, it's v easy to put up.

flossyfloo Fri 08-Jul-11 09:19:53

Hi, don't know where you're located but we found this shop fab. They have a huge array of tents all put up in a large outdoor area so you can see for yourself what they're like. You really are spoilt for choice there!
www.tauntonleisure.com/

ENormaSnob Fri 08-Jul-11 09:19:55

We have a khyam Ontario 8.

Good size, easy to put up and has 3/4 bedrooms and large living area.

mel2005 Fri 08-Jul-11 12:54:07

we were looking for a family tent for years, we couldnt find on we really liked that was big enough for all 6 of us within budget. we have just bought a 5m soulpad bell tent, i am sooooo in love with it, it is lovely inside, really big and takes minutes to put up on your own. we have been camping in it in the garden this week, the kids love it. i bought 18m of solar fairy lights that go around the inside and a hanging tea light holder for the pole (with safe tea lights), its really magical.

Kingsroadie Fri 08-Jul-11 15:35:25

Lurking on here as started a similar thread too - poor Slubber can't escape me! grin

AlmaMartyr Fri 08-Jul-11 16:36:56

We went to have a look today, and now very confused! I loved the Outwell Montana but I think we really would prefer at least 3 bedrooms so it can grow with us a bit.

There was a great Vango (Athena 6) but I've heard some bad things about the quality of the Vangos - not sure how true that is? With two toddlers I want something fairly robust.

I've seen the Outwell Michigan 8 online and am very very tempted by that. I figure we can have one huge room ourselves (with space for storage) and kids can have one room each or share a giant room if they want. Anyone know anything about it?

Takver Fri 08-Jul-11 21:58:57

Lurking on both these threads - but a quick hi-jack question - what if you weren't always going by car (and were 3 people wanting 2 separate spaces)?

Any good lighter weight options ? (So far we've always used 2 separate small tents, but not really a good option for public campsites with a 9 y/o!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now