Talk

Advanced search

Belltenters! Is this something you think would be useful or just a waste of space in an already full to overflowing car?

(15 Posts)
Lovecat Mon 04-Jul-11 18:44:36

This thingy?

We currently strew a string of solar fairy lights over the A frame entrance which, whilst pretty, does not really give much usable light.

I'm quite taken with it, but before I make yet ANOTHER camping purchase, I thought I'd run it by the collective wisdom of the MN camping sorority.

? smile

Slubberdegullion Mon 04-Jul-11 19:17:48

No.

It is silly

<mallet>

Lovecat Mon 04-Jul-11 19:27:20

love that on camping it's a mallet not a gavel... grin

So being able to see while sitting out in front of your tent is a frivolous luxury to you, Slubber?

Mind you, I suppose it would mean you can't see what's on your feet.....gringrin

EggyAllenPoe Mon 04-Jul-11 19:36:55

is it a stick with a light on it??

is that all?

EggyAllenPoe Mon 04-Jul-11 19:39:22

>smug owner of tent with awning extrusions that you can hang a light off<

Lovecat Mon 04-Jul-11 19:41:38

Pretty much....blush

But I am extremely DIY-challenged and DH is even worse (the man doesn't know how to open his own car bonnet) so even if you tell me how easy it is to make something like that for myself, I would stare blankly at you a bit like this while my brain played soothing musak....

ReshapeWhileDamp Mon 04-Jul-11 20:00:17

Oooh.
Pretty. And useful too. I presume it actually works and doesn't make your bell collapse?

MisSalLaneous Mon 04-Jul-11 20:17:48

Not really something we've considered before as usually trees around where we would hang something, and inside the tent we just hang one of those LCD thingies (cheapy) on the pole. When no trees, we've just plonked lamp on table. Can't remember if it worked, but then, I'm like some freak just staring into the fire anyway, so I'm not a reliable source of table-usefulness!

I can't really judge from the picture, but check whether there is enough space to hang your existing lamp. Except for that, it's not exactly the world's most expensive thing (ignoring the other £1,345 already spent on camping goods), so maybe a nice-to-have? Upside: Will take no space whatsoever.

Conclusion: Pointless post from me, sorry!

Slubberdegullion Mon 04-Jul-11 21:05:41

ooooooooooooh
[handbags]@ feet jibe.

No we use a standard lantern on the table or a head torch. No silly bendy poles here.

Lovecat Mon 04-Jul-11 21:11:37

grin

SingOut Tue 05-Jul-11 21:53:26

Noooooo! Can you imagine stumbling out the tent in the night for a wee and cracking your head on that?
At a camp I went to recently, someone in our circle of tents fitted us all out with metal shepherds hook type thing outside the tents, one on each side of each tent doorway. Then jamjars with tealights in, bit of string to hang them - lovely! smile

needanewname Tue 05-Jul-11 23:41:05

We got a shepherds hook £2 does the job!

scaryt Wed 06-Jul-11 07:13:15

Love the idea of shepherds hooks beside the door.

needanewname where did you manage to get one for £2?

needanewname Wed 06-Jul-11 07:20:40

A shop in st Ives. Thought it would have been lot more but it is only quite small. Apparently you can get something not quite as pretty from builders yards

NettleTea Wed 06-Jul-11 19:20:25

yup you can buy steel fence pins, they are for putting up temporary orange plastic fencing and they work just as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now