Talk

Advanced search

Eurocamp Northern France

(10 Posts)
OliPocket Mon 04-Jul-11 13:16:51

Hello,

Can anyone tell me about Eurocamps in France? We want to take our DS for a weeks holiday in September -he'll be 9 months old. I'm thinking Northern France would cut down the travel time in the car but am a bit overwhelmed with by the choices on the website. If anyone could recommend a nice site I'd be grateful. It doesn't need to be full-on exciting but some places nearby to visit (for us) and maybe a beach would be good.

Thanks in advance smile

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Jul-11 13:19:20

what areas have you been looking?

We took dd2 aged 6 months to france camping and went from Poole to Cherbourge to cut down the driving and still get further south for a bit more sun than in the north of france.

Stayed at le grande large just 10 miles from the port and the beach was right next to the campsite

OliPocket Mon 04-Jul-11 13:23:28

Ooh, thanks I hadn't thought of that. We live just outside London so assumed we'd go from Dover but my mum (who'll be coming with us) lives on the South Coast so we could pick her up and go from Poole. I'll get back on the website and have a butchers, thanks!

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Jul-11 13:30:09

here

Lizzylou Mon 04-Jul-11 13:30:18

We went Plymouth to Roscoff, then an hour's drive and we were in Southern Britanny, loved it (and are going again this year).

L'Atlantique near Beg Meil, we went Keycamp but Eurocamp also there.

We had lovely weather last July, hoping for same this August.

OliPocket Mon 04-Jul-11 13:41:06

Excellent, thanks for the link - it looks really nice there.

I'll check out Keycamp as well - Plymouth might be a bit far to go but I'll see what other options they have.

Thanks very much for the ideas

Ponders Mon 04-Jul-11 14:05:49

Brittany tends to close down in the holiday areas in September - Normandy is a better bet.

We have stayed with Eurocamp in Houlgate (Camping de la Vallee) which was great, a reasonable walk to a lovely sandy beach, & a nice town too, but that was with older children, not just a baby.

Also if you're going to do Poole-Cherbourg it's a bit far the other side; Portsmouth-Caen is handy though. Be aware that the morning crossing Poole-Cherbourg is a fastcraft & is known affectionately as the Vomit Comet confused. The standard ferry is 4½ hrs; Portsmouth-Caen is around 6 hrs so not that much in it - but Brittany Ferries are v expensive, you have to weigh up driving distances/times/fuel v fares.

Eurotunnel is wonderful (& you can pay with Tesco vouchers if you happen to have any!) & it's motorway most of the way from Calais to Caen - 4-5hrs. It sounds a lot but French motorways have rest stops every few miles.

Ponders Mon 04-Jul-11 14:14:27

this is La Vallee - it closes 11th Sep though so not very late! There are a few sites in western/southern Brittany open one more week after that.

OliPocket Mon 04-Jul-11 20:59:54

Thanks Ponders - I'll do a bit more research smile

GnomeDePlume Mon 04-Jul-11 21:11:03

We have stayed here a few times:

www.la-croix-du-vieux-pont.com/

All the major operators are there. Canvas has a particularly large presence there and have a good range of accomodation (including some very attractive chalets).

My personal preference would be to go via eurotunnel. It is really the most efficient way of travelling as there is no messing around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now