Talk

Advanced search

Self-inflating mats - which are best?

(8 Posts)
SherlockHolmes Fri 01-Jul-11 12:40:41

I'm thinking of moving over to these as our airbeds are such a faff and are a bit too bouncy when you stand on them (fell over putting on my trousers last week blush).

I know that Thermarest are supposed to be the ultimate in comfort, but can't stretch to their prices at the moment.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper brand? I've looked at Hi Gear in Go Outdoors and they seem fine - or am a I wasting my time and should save up for the better quality ones? Thanks for any advice.

MisSalLaneous Fri 01-Jul-11 13:05:51

Depends how much cheaper you want to go. Alpkit is really good if you want great quality but lower budget than Thermarest.

Alpkit
Dozer, which is their most comfortable asaik, but currently out of stock.

Ineedalife Fri 01-Jul-11 17:19:25

I have a gelert xl 10cm thick sim which cost half what the alpkit ones cost and is really comfy[actually better than my bed!]

I have never slept on an alpkit one but lots of people say they are good.

My girls both sleep on Aldi sims and they are fine with them.

Asparaguses Fri 01-Jul-11 23:22:28

Kathmandu have some on sale at the moment. I wanted a thick full length one but could never justify the price. Today I bought it for £34 reduced from £70.

travailtotravel Sat 02-Jul-11 13:21:05

I love love love my thermarest ....

thisisyesterday Sun 03-Jul-11 21:55:23

i was in blacks today and they had some fantastic offers on SIMS.

vaude ones reduced from 64 to 32! i'd have bought some if i didn't already have them

brambleschooks Sun 03-Jul-11 22:10:55

Just had a gorgeous night on my thermarest base camp (thank you slubber). I was toasty warm. I also used a self inflating pillow, which was very comfy and saved space in the car.

I have Aldi and Lidl ones, the Lidi ones are a bit rubbish, (the kids have them now) but the Aldi ones are fantastic, went away with a friend who has a Thermarest recently and she couldn't tell the difference comfort wise and was very impressed.

I sleep soooooooo much better on them than airbeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now