Talk

Advanced search

Camping for first time w/kids this weekend! 2yo in travel cot or ready bed?

(12 Posts)
MegBusset Tue 28-Jun-11 21:33:28

So we're preparing to pop our post-kids cherry this weekend, for one night only, if it isn't raining grin

4yo will go in ready bed, no problem, but the 2yo is still in a cot at home and has never slept in a bed... should we take the travel cot (might be a bit of a squeeze in the kids' bedroom compartment) or put them both in ready beds and hope for the best?

2ddornot2dd Tue 28-Jun-11 21:42:36

It will be much easier for you to take a ready bed - I took DD1 last year when she was 2, and DD2 who was about 2 months. DD2 had the cot mattress, but not the actual cot, but DD1 was so, so excited about the ready bed, and was absolutely fine in it (not that she went to sleep, but that wasn't to do with the bed!). We still use the ready bed fairly regularly for trips to relatives etc so it wasn't a waste of money.

MisSalLaneous Tue 28-Jun-11 21:59:09

I'd go for camping cot, but perhaps it is just because ds has ants in his pants! After our first camp, we went out and bought a travel cot specifically for this purpose. That first weekend, dh and I took turns sleeping on ds's small mat! If you do, though, see if you can take a sheepskin rug to put over cot mattress to stop cold coming from ground.

MegBusset Tue 28-Jun-11 22:53:21

Thanks, we have decided to take the travel cot for DS2, because he's used to it, and I think trying to introduce the idea of sleeping a) in a tent and b) in a bed that he can GET OUT OF HIMSELF is a recipe for making us unpopular with fellow campers grin

That's a good idea about extra layers in the travel cot, I've got a big fleece throw that'll do the trick. DS1 has a furnace-like metabolism so I don't think he'll feel the cold at all!

MegBusset Tue 28-Jun-11 22:53:50

Oh I'm so excited I can't wait grin

Poshbaggirl Tue 28-Jun-11 23:07:53

When u think about it, a cot or any other baby bed is just to keep them from falling out of bed. When u are camping they are on the floor already!
Start thinking like a gypsy! Keep it really simple, and enjoy!
You'll never enjoy camping unless you get all that domestic stuff out of your head! There are only two things to think about when camping! Are we warm and dry? And Whats for our next meal?
Really hope it goes well! Camping is the best! Kids make friends really easily on a campsite, really relaxing.
I could go on......

wrigglytummy Wed 29-Jun-11 09:17:24

My 2 & 4 yo slept on self inflating airmats. It was great, we had 3 mats in a row, they slept in sleeping bags - nice & simple.
They didn't want to go to bed until 10pm first night (eek), but were better the 2nd night.
I just had to breath deeply, drink wine & go with the flow.
Good luck, it is fun...honest!

Quenelle Wed 29-Jun-11 09:49:50

We're taking our 2 year old for the first time this weekend too.

I've been thinking of taking the travel cot because he's used to it, and I have a vain hope he will go down in it on his own. But I expect he'll end up between us on our airbed. He's not very adaptable to new situations and has always been a bit iffy with bedtime so I'm pretty certain he won't settle on his own in a tent.

Still, we're only going for one night so everything's doable.

Have fun MegBusset.

drkej Wed 29-Jun-11 14:23:25

I would second the ready bed.
First trip this weekend just gone, younger son just turned 2, never been in a bed and I was amazed - asleep without much of a fight & slept all night on his ready bed. Sadly I was awake most of the night stressing he would wake up!
My boys are not particularly adaptable and love their own beds/cots but for some reason it worked...long may it continue.
We put one of our holdalls on either side of the top end so he didn't roll out - not sure if that helped.
Enjoy

Quenelle Wed 29-Jun-11 14:32:39

Hmm, I may consider getting a ready bed for our longer trip in August. It might take DS a couple of nights but perhaps he'll adapt if he's worn out enough.

Poshbaggirl Thu 30-Jun-11 07:52:55

Dont stress, if you make out it's a problem they'll get nervous. Put the focus on something else, give them their own little torches and other mini camping stuff that they are in charge of.
We get into bed before it gets dark and sleep when it dark, get up when its light. Try not to clock watch. I take a hot water bottle in case of cold toes, as i cant get comfy if my feet are cold.
Toilet last thing before getting into bed! Bedtime story to settle?
I want to hear how it goes!

ChiddelyPie Thu 30-Jun-11 09:28:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now