Talk

Advanced search

Best tinned/packet food for camping

(16 Posts)
scrappydappydoo Sun 26-Jun-11 18:52:00

As in the title - which ones do you rate so I can try them on my dds before our trip in August. They are quite picky and don't like anything spicy hmm TIA

RafaNadalIsMyLoveSlave Sun 26-Jun-11 18:54:01

Uncle Ben's express rice (cooks in 3 minutes) - serve with veg and a packet cheese sauce stirred in. Perfect for picky eaters.

DontCallMeBaby Sun 26-Jun-11 19:50:58

My picky eater wouldn't like rice, veg and cheese sauce (shame, as it sounds nice in a camping-food way!). She's a massive challenge. She did like: cheese Pasta'n'sauce with added tuna and sweetcorn; M&S tinned stewed steak with mash and peas. Not keen on corned beef hash made with tinned potatoes, but I think that's cos I couldn't get the potatoes to crisp up on the non-non-stick frying pan. I'm plannning on taking some 'instant' cheese risotto (can't remember the brand) next time we go, and seeing if Sainsburys still do ambient potato/egg/bacon/chese thigns, as they used to be quite nice. A friend recommended Look What We Found brand bolognese in a pouch, though it's pricey.

Ineedalife Sun 26-Jun-11 20:50:52

We do the uncle bens rice with tinned veg and chicken in white sauce, its not the cheapest meal but you can cook it in one pan and its quickgrin.

We also take a spag bol with us frozen and eat it the same day if I take it out of the cool bag or the next day.

MisSalLaneous Sun 26-Jun-11 22:21:00

The Look What We Found Chilli con Carne is surprisingly good. We often take one for the first night if we only arrive late. Stir fry (with a bit of water) a packet of microwave rice, stir in chilli con carne packet... done. Serve with a sliced avos, tomato and some fresh parsley and you can almost imagine it's proper food - made in minutes.

I know you said she doesn't like spicy, but it might be worth trying out one of the other types.

Cathycat Sun 26-Jun-11 23:12:40

My children love Batchelors chicken noodles and sweetcorn, pasta with some jar of pesto sauce on, chicken pasta n sauce. All are disgusting in my opinion but they are all quick and simple!

biscuitmad Mon 27-Jun-11 00:39:45

I cooked a spag bowl the day before we went camping and froze it. Recommend heinz tin soups for lunch times yummy.

Saussages, with beans and mash easy.

Enraha Mon 27-Jun-11 11:36:06

Room temperature packs of Gnocchi, and a stir in sauce (pesto etc). V.quick and can be jazzed up or down according to taste

scrappydappydoo Mon 27-Jun-11 11:43:34

Cheers - will try all these out smile

notwavingjustironing Mon 27-Jun-11 12:40:18

All the M&S tinned meals are good. Bolognaise, curry, chicken in white sauce etc.

bibindum Mon 27-Jun-11 13:43:02

Betty croker shake to make pancake mix! - kids love this for late breakfast treat

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 27-Jun-11 14:57:07

Packet couscous is very good as an accompaniment to something, just pour over boiling water and leave to fluff up.

YellowDinosaur Mon 27-Jun-11 19:08:54

The Ainsley Harriot couscous packets are really tasty - I take these to work for lunch with sald stuff mixed in. Boys would eat this with tuna and sweetcorn mixed in

scurryfunge Mon 27-Jun-11 19:10:30

Aldi mushroom rissotto is good.

Nikkid21 Mon 27-Jun-11 19:52:33

Tinned hot dogs, Heinz beans or spaghetti to have on toast, dolmio stir in sauces are quite nice.

travailtotravel Mon 27-Jun-11 20:09:48

We BBQ everything, eat tons of packet cous cous and fresh pasta and sauce with bags of lettuce etc. I am addicted to Nando's Peri Peri sauce so rub it on everything in sight before we BBQ it ... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now