Talk

Advanced search

Hammock camping

(5 Posts)
Ripeberry Wed 22-Jun-11 16:05:48

Has anyone done this? Looks cool, just a hammock and a tarp and no bumpy floor to sleep on and some hammocks are made out of tent material with mesh 'windows' and some can be used all year round.

ApuskiDusky Wed 22-Jun-11 16:23:29

Yes - hated it, felt like I was sleeping in a coffin. And I don't normally sleep on my back so found it very hard to get settled.

But this was in the jungle where sleeping off the floor was a generally good idea, so the best option at the time! I have no intention of doing it again though.

LieInsAreRarerThanTigers Wed 22-Jun-11 16:27:27

We have a Mexican hammock (made of very loose weave, so no closed-in feeling.) Very comfy for a doze on a sunny afternoon, but have often wondered what it would be like to spend a night in one.

Fennel Thu 23-Jun-11 13:14:04

Yes I sometimes sleep just in a hammock with a bivvy bag in case of rain. We take our youth group camping out in the woods sometimes and do it then. Very easy, but obviously good for when it's not raining, and a bit crap if it rains.

I do really prefer to sleep flat than in a hammock, it does give me backache, but it's a lovely sensation swinging between trees looking at the moon.

chipmonkey Thu 23-Jun-11 17:49:38

Hammocks make my arse look huge. I have photographic evidence of this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now