Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Disposable bottles or sterile bottle bags?

(7 Posts)
Newbabynewmum Wed 22-Jun-11 10:25:08

We're camping and going to a festival with my 8mo next month & I need some advice. Has anyone used them before? Which are best?

Thanks! X

GingerWrath Wed 22-Jun-11 11:15:52

Seems a while since my 4yo DD was that old but I don't think I was overly sterilising at that point, she was forever sticking toys/dropped dummies/dog hair in her gob by that point and it seemed pointless!

Sorry not much help I know.

chipmonkey Wed 22-Jun-11 12:14:53

We used Playtex disposable bottles for ds3 and ds4, for ds3 because I couldn't get him to take any other bottle ( he was a boobmonster!) and ds4 because we were going away to Portugal when he was 9 weeks old and I wanted my Mum to be able to give him a bottle so dh and I could go out. The teats and lids still had to be sterilised but we had a travel steriliser which was very compact but took the bottle bits and pump bits in one go. The bottles themselves were great but if your baby is used to a different bottle it might be better to try them before you go to make sure he/she will accept the teat.

bilblio Wed 22-Jun-11 12:35:00

I think I was the same as Ginger. DD was mainly bfing still but had bottles when I was at work. We just made sure they were washed in very hot water (or pour the kettle over them) and left to air dry.

Newbabynewmum Wed 22-Jun-11 13:36:18

Thanks. Maybe you're right. I think I still sterilise out of habit. Boiling water should be ok for a few days shouldn't it?

oranges123 Wed 22-Jun-11 14:22:34

Boiling water will be fine. We did that last year when DD was exactly the same age. TBH I think just normal washing up is fine after 6 months but when you're camping it feels better to use boiling water just to be sure.

chipmonkey Wed 22-Jun-11 15:01:22

when I had ds1, one of the sterilising options I was given was to boil items for 5 minutes in a saucepan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now