Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for small campsites in Devon

(15 Posts)
fjcampbe Tue 21-Jun-11 22:29:09

Can anyone recommend any small, quiet campsites in Devon? We went to Dorset last year and stayed at Norden Farm which we really liked and I'm looking for something similar in South Devon. I don't really want a holiday-park type site, would prefer something on a farm - as kids we always stayed in the middle of nowhere on some random hill but my DP won't go for that so we have to compromise!!

belindarose Fri 24-Jun-11 08:24:58

Just looking myself for this weekend. There's Ine at Widdecombe in the Moor, can't remember it's name. We're looking for something coastal this weekend though. Will let you know what I find.

StanHouseMuir Fri 24-Jun-11 10:33:09

Take a look at Little Meadow

StanHouseMuir Fri 24-Jun-11 10:34:40

Sorry, just saw that you're after South Devon. Little Meadow is North Devon.

belindarose Fri 24-Jun-11 11:09:55

Just read my post. It should say 'one', not 'ine'! Don't want you searching for that!

Batteryhuman Fri 24-Jun-11 19:19:17

I love Little Meadow too. The views are stunning and my kids loved it.

belindarose Mon 27-Jun-11 13:40:00

We found a nice one. Alston Farm, near Salcombe/ Kingsbridge. Nit as small as we usually like, quite a few static and touring caravans. Tent area not busy though and our pitch felt very secluded.

Fennel Tue 28-Jun-11 11:09:03

Folly Farm at Bigbury is just a field on a farm overlooking the beach, great views. Not that quiet when we've been there though.
North Morte farm near Woolacombe is not small but again it's got fields overlooking the coast, very nice. Neither of those takes bookings.

Upper Rew near Salcombe is close to several good beaches, just a basic campsite, rarely full, low key.

Lots of little low key campsites on and around Dartmoor if you want to be inland. You can just find them on the roads circling Dartmoor, often by pubs. Basic facilities, quiet. I don't always remember their names though.

belindarose Tue 28-Jun-11 21:31:36

Yes, Folly Farm has amazing views! However, after a very nasty windy night on an exposed site in North Devon a few weeks ago, 'sheltered' was our key priority this time! We will try FF sometime though as it would be great to wake up that close to the best beach in Devon!

Pussinflatboots Tue 28-Jun-11 21:44:46

Another vote for north morte farm.

fjcampbe Tue 28-Jun-11 21:45:27

Thanks for all the recommendations - we've decided to go with Karragreen in Bolberry after reading around for reviews in other posts. Would love to know if anyone has stayed there and what they thought of it? It's a bit more than I was planning to spend but sounds lovely and the location is perfect for us. Just hoping the weather is nice now!

millymolly5306 Tue 28-Jun-11 22:00:44

I was just about to suggest Karrageen! See you have already chosen it!
We stay there every year, great campsite, each space is spacious and lots of room for the children to play their games. Facilities are basic but good, always been clean on our visits. Owners always helpful and polite. Location is fab, very very laney but well worth it, nearest beach is Hope cove, we often venture on to Thurlestone rock beach (can't remember the real name) or Bantham sands. Then there is the option of Salcombe if you want to visit the shops! We have always had a relaxing break on our visits and i am really looking forward to going in July. Happy Camping.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 28-Jun-11 23:03:32

Hope Cove is just gorgeous.

Does Karrageen have any kind of play area? DS doesn't need much, but finds it useful to have a congregating point as a way to help him hook up with other kids.

And if you go there with a tent, does your tent back onto a hedge or is it more likely to just back on to another row of tents?

fjcampbe Wed 29-Jun-11 10:07:32

Thanks Millymolly sounds like the perfect site for us - can you walk to Hope Cove from the site? My DS is 4 but used to walking as I don't have a car in the week and DD will be in a baby carrier on DP's back.

Just had my booking confirmation through for 2nd week in July - quite excited now!!

Mary - Don't think it has a play area but I'm quite happy about that as last year we couldn't get DS away from the damn thing and as it wasn't close enough to our tent for us to see him it meant one of us had to be there with him all the time! Looking at the arial view on the website it looks as though the tents back on to hedges but again not 100% with not having stayed before

SuePurblybilt Wed 29-Jun-11 10:09:48

Inland - try Yelverton Farm (Dartmoor). Farm, pony riding, pool, nice enough facilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now