Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about mattresses

(6 Posts)
allset Mon 20-Jun-11 18:20:47

Hi, we are going camping for the first time in a couple of weeks (DH, 3DC 5,3 and 6mths and I). We have a 2 bed tent but nothing to actually sleep on. What are the differences between airbeds, self-inflating mattresses etc? Are more expensive ones worth it? We will probably do one or two short trips a year, but do also have a need for extra mattresses at home when people come to stay etc so would be better to get ones that can also be used in the house. We want to spend as little as poss, but its important we are comfy so everyone wants to go again!
PLUS - its likely to be hot, and a lot of what i have read on here assumes cold. Do we still need mats etc for the floor of the tent if it is warm?
I will prob be back as I think of more and more questions!

SkivingAgain Mon 20-Jun-11 20:09:11

Tesco have double air mattresses for £10 atm (half price) with a flocked surface. These are comfy, and better than the ones with built in pillows (we had one of these from Argos) . We have fitted flannelette sheets and takes duvets, much comfier and cosier than sleeping bags. If it is cold put a blanket under the sheet.

I've never tried a self inflating mattress though, and they could be even better.

Happy camping smile

stinkypinky Mon 20-Jun-11 20:21:38

Always self inflated mats - get enough to cover the floor of the pod, and all pile in together :-) Air mattresses just do not compare, especially with little ones who can get stuck in gaps.

zanz1bar Mon 20-Jun-11 20:54:19

Self inflating mats a revelation of warmth and comfort.
An amazing nights sleep from something so thin. No bone shivering cold, no reverberation of dh shores throughout the whole of the mattress, no sea sick feeling rolling around, no waking up in the middle of the night on a deflated plastic bag.
Try aldi and lidl.

zanz1bar Mon 20-Jun-11 20:57:07

Reread op, do not presume a hot day temp will be a warm night, 4 o'clock in the morning is chilly even in the med.

allset Tue 21-Jun-11 00:04:50

Thanks, will look into self inflating mattresses
Do you think we need a tent floor covering?
I am imagining that packing is going to be a bit of a mission...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now