Talk

Advanced search

Where to store all the camping stuff?

(17 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-Jun-11 16:46:24

so I'm seriously considering selling my old camper van as just not using it enough to justify having it.

Plan is to get a bell tent. I've been weighing up the pros and cons and the main downside I can see is at the minute everything we need is in the van. Sleeping bags, toys, pans, plates, etc. Can just jump in and drive off without having to pack the car.

I seem to remember when I camped before it would take a morning to pack the car which is why we never went away for a weekend.

So I'm trying to think what can I do to minimise packing time and the main thing I can think is having everything all together in one place so I'm not running round the house and climbing up in the loft getting everything.

But I have no space. How practical do you think one of those plastic, "weatherproof" garden storage boxes would be. I wouldn't keep the tent in there or the sleeping bags but hopefully everything else. So chairs, pots, plates, some games, fridge, stove, ehu lead, karrimats, dog bowls, water container, lamp.

So all I'd have to do would be empty the contents of the box into the car and get the tent out the loft. And pack a bag with some clothes and a towel. I really think this would save time but would everything be ok in one of these boxes.

ReshapeWhileDamp Mon 20-Jun-11 17:02:17

I'd be a bit sceptical that they were entirely damp-proof - maybe even condensation in very hot weather would be a problem. Might be an issue if you have fabric chairs, etc. I haven't got my lovely bell tent yet but was planning on storing it under a bed or similar.

You'd still have to unpack the garden boxy thing into the car though. smile I think if you're decided on selling the camper and getting a tent, you're just going to have to accept that a bit of car-packing comes with it. Must be lovely to get into the camper and just drive off, though. envy

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-Jun-11 17:03:57

Mmmm, am thinking about a trailer now. Could keep all. My camping stuff in it and just hitch up to the car.

Lucycat Mon 20-Jun-11 17:11:34

You don't have space for a trailer do you? one of those with a locking lid that you could keep all packed with your stuff and then just hitch up and drive away for a weekend. Clothes etc could go in the car.

Sheds are pretty good for all things not fabric, although our chairs are fine in there.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-Jun-11 17:14:04

I could make space for a trailer, only problem is I'm only going to have a yaris to tow with but quick google says it can tow a small trailer.

YellowDinosaur Mon 20-Jun-11 18:42:17

If you've only got a Yaris unless you re VERY minimal I doubt you would get it all in without a trailer!!!

Which begs the question why not keep the camper van because once you have to buy a tent and a trailer you may find that its cheaper to keep the camper van! And more convenient...

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-Jun-11 18:47:27

The camper van costs £30 a month insurance, £200 tax a year, mot and service. Approx £500 a year on bodywork. There is always something else every year. This year it has been new battery, exhaust and fuel filter, last year it was glow plugs. It does 35mpg max.

I could sell it for 6k which would more than cover the cost of a trailer and tent. Plus monthly/yearly running costs would be minimal.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-Jun-11 19:37:01

Last time I went camping with the yaris I got everything in. Had a huge outwell tent, two moon chairs, clothes, stove, sleeping bags, me and dd, even got a bike in there. Didn't have the big dog back then though.

Have been trying to work out for sure if a yaris can tow a trailer, it's only a one litre engine. I've found on a forum that uk Toyota say a yaris can tow it's own weight but USA toyota say not to tow full stop.

Nikkid21 Mon 20-Jun-11 19:53:51

Have to say that having a trailer is fab as we keep it packed in the garage. Hitch it up, add food, clothes and extra bedding and off we go.
However since we got it we have seemed to take more and more stuff to the point where this year we bought high sides for it. We will be using for France this summer and the dc's bikes will lay flat in it too.

It's also a pain for weekend camps so I have a duplicate smaller set of kit the I keep on top of it with the pop up tent for quick weekend camp. Then I just grab the chairs and sleeping bags from the trailer.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-Jun-11 20:25:36

I guess my other option is to get a roof box fitted on the car. Tough I,d have to keep the roof box on the car all the time which would increase mpg. But maybe better than towing a trailer.

I'd still have the hassle of packing the car and roof box. But the time spent packing would probably be outweighed by the ability to drive to my destination faster without a trailer.

Jaynerae Tue 21-Jun-11 15:00:55

Hi

We have a Plastic Garden storage Bunker - from Argos - have had it seven years and all our camping kit is stored in it, apart from sleeping bags and blankets. Not once in all that time have I had anything get wet or damp or go mouldy.

I bought a second one to store all my Brownie's stuff and I have no problems with that either. Brownie's one is opened up regularly but camping one is only opened 4/5/times a year.

We also have a trailer as needed it to transport kit as now have to dogs to take up the boot, also have roof box. Bought trailer last year.

Trailer is not hard top - it is covered with Tarpaulin and I have left stuff in it, but has got a bit smelly and a little bit of mould, so will make sure I only leave hard plastic stuff in there now.

Highly recomeend Large Garden plastic bunkers - we open bunker put stuff in trailer and off we go!

VivaLeBeaver Tue 21-Jun-11 15:03:09

Brilliant, thank you.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 21-Jun-11 15:04:26

VivaLeBeaver - we have a micra and tow a small trailer from Halfords. Also 1ltr engine. I phoned up Nissan dealer to ask and they say we can tow a caravan. hmm

VivaLeBeaver Tue 21-Jun-11 15:40:11

I wouldn't fancy trying to tow a caravan!

biscuitmad Tue 21-Jun-11 17:32:09

We have a top box and got most of the gear in that last year.

Like you we have stuff under the stairs, shed, and the loft. Hopefully when we move it can be stored in one central place.

NorthernerAtHeart Tue 21-Jun-11 18:47:59

Hiya
We have an Erde trailer - think it's the 121 (smallest one). In that, we fit tent/footprint/canopy/chairs/foam mats/stove/gas/bbq/washingupbowl/spare wheel. Think that is it! Rest goes in the car boot.
Ideally we'd upgrade to a slightly bigger trailer, but that one was £50 from ebay so can't complain. There tend to be loads up for sale on ebay, so worth keeping an eye out (and offering a buy-it-now price to the seller - that's how I got ours so cheap I think). Slightly larger ones can take a lockable lid, which might be handy too.
It does mean we can leave the whole lot in the trailer inbetween trips just taking the cover off once or twice if it's been very rainy to air it.

bilblio Wed 22-Jun-11 12:29:31

We've just had our kitchen re-done, bits needed doing, but one of the main things I wanted doing was having the understairs cupboard opened up again. the previous owners had stupidly blocked it in. shock Why would you get rid of useful storage space???

We now have the tent (plus carpet & footprint) in there, the cooking stuff, SIM's sleeping bags, torches and all the miscellaneous bits you need. (As well as the step ladder, ironing board, hoover, mop and bucket etc.)
The chairs and table are in the shed as we use them in the garden too. The chairs do usually have a few specks of mildew on them the first time we take them out after winter, but a quick wipe and they're fine again.
Before getting the cupboard sorted everything was kept in a corner of the kitchen partly under the dining table to stop DD & the cats getting to them.

We've also been given a roof box, which we won't need till next year but we keep it propped up behind the shed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now