Talk

Advanced search

Pitching a quechua seconds 4.2 alone?

(9 Posts)
scaryt Sun 19-Jun-11 20:25:21

After lurking here a while I'm considering my first tent purchase...

I'm tentatively thinking about getting a tent to do the odd night or two camping with my 5 year old. I think he'd love it.

I've looked at the base seconds 4.2 and really like the layout and feel of it. But would like to know if I could pitch it/take it down on my own. I'm pretty fit and up for a challenge!

It would be just me and the boy, DH would rather stick pins in his eyes than camp (though he's happy in the caravan!)!!

kahlua4me Sun 19-Jun-11 20:30:52

We have the QuechuaXXL llll and I can pitch it and pack it away easily on my own. It took some practices but once you have the knack it's quite simple.
I think the hardest part is packing it away, knowing what to fold down when. Mine is smaller than yours though. But once you have done it a few times it should be ok.
The instructions are on the bag and are well laid out and clear

Lotkinsgonecurly Sun 19-Jun-11 20:34:12

Yes, we have the Quechua 4.2 and its fine, if its really windy then its a nightmare as you do need 2 people. DH was busy helping someone else and I took ours down and shoved it in the bag, someone did help me put it into the bag though. Nice lady in the tent next door.

scaryt Sun 19-Jun-11 20:46:12

Hadn't thought about the kindly help of people around me...I'm not too proud to accept help! wink

scaryt Sun 19-Jun-11 20:46:47

Lotkins - how do you find the tent?

5GoMadOnAZ650 Sun 19-Jun-11 20:50:47

I can also pitch the 4.2 seconds base alone. The folding is fine once yhave the knack, the staff in decathlon actually describe it as the cock and balls as soon as you have a cock and ball shape it just flips into place.

Wiggletastic Mon 20-Jun-11 19:19:48

I can put it up and down on my own, just takes a bit of practice. The video on the website is very helpful. We love ours and its great for weekends and trips with small kids as you aren't spending hours putting it up/down.

scaryt Mon 20-Jun-11 21:33:07

Thanks for responding, looks like it could work. smile

Now to persuade dh to go for it this year (he wants me to wait til next year...I want adventures now wink I'm so impatient!!blush )...

Ineedalife Mon 20-Jun-11 22:06:35

I can do my 4.1 on my own, the wind can be an issue but if you get everything folded away like bedroom pods and guyropes etc beore you try to take off the main corner peg loops you should be ok.

Once you have detatched it from the groundsheet, if you work quickly to fold it flat and get it on the floor you are safe from the wind.

You have to kneel on it to fold it anyway so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Try to practise in the park/garden on a calm day a few times to get some idea of how to handle it.

Enjoygrin I absolutly love mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now