Talk

Advanced search

How do you store your SIM

(13 Posts)
NorthernerAtHeart Mon 13-Jun-11 11:57:13

Hello!
Just as the title says really!
We've bought (cheap Aldi) SIMs and somewhere I read that you should not store them rolled up. If this is the case, where on earth do you store them?
Does it make much difference to their lifetime? They didn't cost a fortune, but I'd like to not have to replace them too soon either.
Advice much appreciated!
Clare

Slubberdegullion Mon 13-Jun-11 12:08:52

Out of camping season - unrolled, valve open, on roof joists in garage.
In season - unrolled, valve open shoved positioned carefully in spare bed ensuite shower, but sometimes behind a door, or behind the sofas (they like a bit of variety).

I only put them in the bags for travelling.

StanHouseMuir Mon 13-Jun-11 14:45:14

I store them rolled up, life's too short to be faffing around storing them flat.

NorthernerAtHeart Mon 13-Jun-11 17:49:24

I'm with you Stan- just don't want to wreck them straight away!
How long have you had yours and are they still going strong?

I'm wondering if flat during the winter and rolled during the summer might work? Once I've sorted the camping gear out for the summer, I try to keep it all packed up ready for the next trip.

Has anyone destroyed theirs by keeping them rolled?

Slubber - I am impressed by your dedication - the thought of rolling 5 mats up on a thursday evening on top of everythign else before a camping trip fills me with dread!

Lucycat Mon 13-Jun-11 18:40:37

Ours stand up at the back of the wardrobe or flat under our bed- we have a lift up bed so it's easy to get them under. Valves open.smile

ChippyMinton Mon 13-Jun-11 18:47:05

Mine were rolled all winter. They were fine once they'd had a little puff of air and been left unrolled overnight, and inflated perfectly when the DC were at camp. They are currently standing up behind a door (the SIMs that is) awaiting the next outing.

I'll probably shove them under the bed next winter, wrapped in a dust sheet. All the cupboard space is taken up with DH's sleeping bag, which is stored un-stuffed in a big loose calico sack.

NorthernerAtHeart Mon 13-Jun-11 19:06:52

Hmm. Chippy - you've reminded me that sleeping bags are supposed to be stored out of their stuff bags too!

Going to need a whole new shed if i'm going to do this properly!

Heifer Mon 13-Jun-11 19:23:39

Would someone please explain what SIM is for the thickies uninitiated .

ChippyMinton Mon 13-Jun-11 19:25:17

SIM = self inflating mat smile

I don't bother with the sleeping bags, but DH is very precious about his hmm

Heifer Mon 13-Jun-11 19:32:14

cheers Chippy

So you mean we no longer have to spend hours fighting with the foot pump or even worse, inbuilt pump for the mattress???

I think I need to trawl through these camping threads to see what else I have missed.

After having 20 yrs off camping, we are now back into it again (financial resistrictions mainly) and have enjoyed a couple of camping visits recently.

I wonder what other time saving/comfort seeking inventions I will find grin

MollieO Mon 13-Jun-11 21:11:56

Rolled in the summer, under the spare bed mattress in the winter. I don't have as much time as Slubber to faff around rolling before every camping trip. grin

StanHouseMuir Mon 13-Jun-11 21:46:06

It's the dock workers I feel sorry for. Imagine them having to roll away all those SIMs after their long journey by container ship from China. Nah, they've been rolled up, very tightly, since leaving the factory gates and arriving here and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm....

That said, it's a good idea from chippyminton I think - stored flat during winter and rolled during summer between the numrous camping trips.

NorthernerAtHeart Mon 13-Jun-11 21:57:13

I had been pondering just how long they would have been sitting rolled before leaping into my shopping trolley!!

Heifer, other than today's SIM storage conundrum, they do seem pretty good. And at £12 ish in Aldi since Thurs, a bargain too! After years of sleeping on a double super deluxe coleman inflatable thing, I tested my new SIM out last night (sleepin on the floor next to my comfy double bed and duvet - so wrong!). It was at least as good.

Thanks everyone for your useful suggestions!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now