Talk

Advanced search

Would I be able to put a 5m bell tent up

(13 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sun 12-Jun-11 20:07:16

on my own?

Am 5ft2 and have a slightly dodgy back. How heavy is it?

I can put up my outsell 5 person tunnel tent on my own.

MollieO Sun 12-Jun-11 22:39:57

I can do my 3m bell tent on my own. I imagine a 5m one would be quite heavy.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 13-Jun-11 08:07:26

Thanks, I need to go and see one in the flesh I think before spending so much money. But Soulpad, Belltent don't seem to do showrooms.

Lovecat Mon 13-Jun-11 09:28:19

I'm 5ft 4 and have a very dodgy back. I can do it alone, but prefer to get DH to put the central pole up if he's around because he's stronger than what I am.

However, I have done it. It's not the weight, per se, more the 'physically dragging the pole upright against taut-ish canvas and making sure it's in a straight vertical line' that's my issue... I do have to use a step stool (I have a folds-completely-flat one that comes along on camping trips) if I want to attach anything to the pole once it's up (inner tent, tea-light chandelier, etc...).

hth smile

If you're anywhere near East London/Essex, pm me, I can show you mine (ooer missus)

VivaLeBeaver Mon 13-Jun-11 12:59:10

Dam, I was in East London last week but am back up North now with no plans to venture south for some time. But am cheered up by the fact you can put yours up on your own LoveCat. I think I have quite good upper body strength (do 30day Shred workout a lot) so hopefully I should be able to push the big pole up. Thanks

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 13-Jun-11 16:35:18

I do, pretty regularly. Am 5ft6 no dodgy back but have done it whilst pregnant.
Is the pole bit that's tricky alone but totally doable.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 13-Jun-11 16:44:41

Is it tricky in a its going to make me swear quite a bit and have a few failed attempts type tricky? Or tricky in a it'll take me ages and have me close to jumping up and down on it in a strop type tricky?

needanewname Wed 15-Jun-11 22:38:20

Am 5'2" and I have no problems. Done it once by myself and took 30 mins, was very easy.

DH and I have got it down to 19 mins!

SalomeD Fri 17-Jun-11 14:04:45

Hi, put our new 5m Soulpad bell tent up by myself in fairly windy conditions in half term. It took 30 minutes and i guessnit will be a lot quicker next time as i wont be trying to read instructions.

There was no swearing!

I have to say it was soooo much easier than the bendy poled tent we had before which i really struggled with.

Im 5'4

Would recommend the 5m over the 4m as loads of space inside for a family

VivaLeBeaver Sun 19-Jun-11 23:30:39

All sounds good.

Next question - does anyone know the dimensions of it in its packed state?

Then all I need to do is sell my camper van!

SalomeD Mon 20-Jun-11 07:08:55

Hi Viva, if you have a look at the bottom of the Product Details on Soulpads website they give you the dimensions of the bag when the tent is packed - v useful as i needed to be sure that it would fit across our boot.

The whole thing packed in the bag is pretty heavy - take the poles and pegs out and you'll find its ok to carry by yourself

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-Jun-11 12:49:02

Thanks, have had a look and its better than what I thought it would be. Doesn't look much bigger than my big outwell tent.

Problem is, I have a yaris and a greyhound. And after years of having the camper van I don't think I'm going to be able to go back to minimalist camping. I'm going to need ehu and a fridge. But I can get a roof box can't I? It'll be fine.

needanewname Mon 20-Jun-11 14:34:35

If you get one from Soulpad get an extra canvas bag. That way you can pack the groundsheet separately to the rest on the tent. Easier to pack and carry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now