Talk

Advanced search

The weather today is really putting me off camping next weekend.

(15 Posts)
Lotkinsgonecurly Sun 12-Jun-11 16:46:19

I've just looked at the weather as we are meant to be camping in the new forest next weekend. However it looks quite grim for the weekend, the same as today. Gulp.

I'm not really a seasoned camper, DH loves it, how exactly am I going to get through it.

CaurnieBred Sun 12-Jun-11 16:49:55

Find where the local municipal pool is so you can always head for that if the weather is miserable. And a nice pub for lunch. That's what we do.

TooManyBlossoms Sun 12-Jun-11 16:52:22

God there's nothing worse than camping in the rain. We're going away too, admittedly in a caravan. Still not looking forward to it though...

Lotkinsgonecurly Sun 12-Jun-11 17:32:25

Excactly, glad its not just me!. I would be so inclined to go home ( or not go) early. DH will carry on until the bitter end. At times like that the DH turns to H.

Nikkid21 Sun 12-Jun-11 18:36:47

Weather wasn't too bad down in graffham thus weekend. We had the odd shower Friday night and yesterday afternoon. The bad bit was taking the tent down wet this morning as it was non stop drizzle and we were under trees.

We reversed the car under the awning and filled the boot with bedding, kitchen and all dry clean stuff. Then tooK the tent down and bundled the whole thing sopping wet into the roofbox.

It will stay in there overnight as it still peeing down at home. We should be able to put it up and dry it in the front garden tomorrow.

We have booked to go back next weekend as it was so nice and only 45mins from home. I've just dumped everything else in the garage and will repack it on Friday. My new cadac go grill was a triumph for pancakes, bacon and square sausage breakfasts.

SewCrafty Sun 12-Jun-11 20:19:34

they can't forecast that far ahead, often it arrives at a completely different time to what they say. Don't think you can probably tell until Wed night/ Thurs, lot more accurate then.

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 13-Jun-11 21:03:19

Am in the same boat. really don't want yet ANOTHER wet weekend in the tent, trying to keep the kids dry and then having to sort out everyhting as soon as we get back. For the first time ever am thinking of giving it a miss this weekend.

Have to say after the summers we've had the last couple of years am starting to fall out of love with camping...

ENormaSnob Tue 14-Jun-11 12:22:11

We have our first camping trip this weekend.

Forecast is dreadful sad

<unpacks outdoor toys, packs more wine>

TooManyBlossoms Tue 14-Jun-11 12:25:51

Yes, wine is definitely the answer. Lots and lots of wine.

swanker Tue 14-Jun-11 12:27:00

Nikki- May I ask if you make the pancake mix on site, or do it before you go down?

Does batter freeze/defrost easily anyone?

Lotkinsgonecurly Sun 19-Jun-11 20:32:01

Well, we went and it was BLOODY WET. In the largest letters possible. Lots and lots of wine was consumed, I was drunk by 6pm on the Friday evening. Dry today though!

Nikkid21 Sun 19-Jun-11 20:45:53

Pancakes - it's the American buttermilk fluffy style mix from Costco. I just weigh out the mix and add the correct amount of water at the camp site.

We wimped out of going this weekend as the winds looked to high esp for camping under trees in a woodland campsite.

TooManyBlossoms Tue 21-Jun-11 09:52:30

It was BLOODY WET for us too. And while setting up, the jockey wheel fell off the caravan causing it to lurch forward and land on my foot. Hence me also being drunk very early on Friday evening. I also lost my mobile phone somewhere in a field.

Ripeberry Wed 22-Jun-11 16:13:13

I don't mind the rain, but can't stand putting away a wet tent. Especially as ours is made of canvas (Bell tent) and takes weeks to dry out!

ben5 Sat 25-Jun-11 14:19:52

must not laugh but have just camped at Kalbarri in western australia. it's winter here and we only had rain the friday night and saturday from 10.30PM till 8AM sunday! it was cold at night ( 9 degrees) but the day time was fine. just drink lots of wine!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: