Talk

Advanced search

Cooking and electric

(4 Posts)
mell242 Wed 08-Jun-11 12:33:39

A few newbie questions :-)

Just wondering what you would recommend for cooking on for our first camping trip? Is a single burner stove going to suffice for 2 adults and a toddler?

I'm looking at electric hook ups and the prices differ so much, are those ones on ebay really ok for about £20?

Finally, would you take along a toast? if so any recommendations?

Great forum btw :-)

IloveJudgeJudy Wed 08-Jun-11 13:06:01

How long are you going for? If only for a weekend, then you could get by with one burner. If it's for longer than that, then you need a two-burner stove.

With regard to electric hook-ups, you must buy a proper one. The ones on e-bay for £20 are not safe. The safe ones cost between £40 and £50. You could then take a toaster, but you have to be careful not to overload the electric circuit and so not use any other big drawing electrical gadget.

Have fun, whatever you do.

DontCallMeBaby Wed 08-Jun-11 16:32:51

Only done a couple of trips but I've cooked quite happily for two adults and a child on one burner - we're going to camp more from now on, and I don't feel the need to buy a better cooker (which is just as well, as I feel the 'need' to get a lot of other stuff). I just juggle pots so everything ends up more or less hot in time to be served.

No complaints about this EHU from Go Outdoors - I wouldn't want to pay £100 for one but I agree it's not something you want to go for super-cheap.

Batteryhuman Wed 08-Jun-11 16:41:41

We started with a 2 burner like this and it did us fine for years. You can always add a disposable bbq as well. Two burners means you can cook pasta and a sauce at the same time or boil the kettle as well as cook.

I now also have a Cobb which is a big investment but used for almost anything.

Re EHU agree that going cheap is risky. They can get wet and tents are a huge fire risk so not an area to economise.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: