Talk

Advanced search

Advice on gravel pitches please?

(15 Posts)
sneaker Tue 07-Jun-11 20:04:01

EEk - we're booked at Sandy Balls, and DH booked a gravel pitch. Can anyone recommend appropriate tent pegs, and also would we need an extra groundsheet?

here is our tent.

(Have only pitched it in the garden) 2 adults, 18mo, 3yo & dog going first time in July.

TIA

sneaker Wed 08-Jun-11 12:04:36

Gravelly bump

NeatFreak Wed 08-Jun-11 12:30:13

We spent a week on a gravel pitch last week- it was impossible to get the pegs in and in the end we only pegged one side of the tent down ( on a strip of grass separating the pitches). We had metal and delta pegs but neither worked. Some caravans had their awnings pegged but ive no idea how they did it!

It was still comfortable enough and didn't damage the ground sheet or anything.

sneaker Wed 08-Jun-11 12:46:06

Thank-you. Presumably it'd be ok unless there was high winds, in which case we probably wouldn't stay anyway.

sneaker Wed 08-Jun-11 12:46:48

Neat Freak - do you have an integrated/sewn in groundsheet?

Furball Wed 08-Jun-11 14:58:21

We use these sort of pegs for our awning on hard ground.

dh puts them in with the cordless drill.

I think they can be used on grass as well if you wanted the drill to do the donkey work

NeatFreak Wed 08-Jun-11 18:18:31

Yes, those are the pegs I saw other people using but had no idea what they looked like under the ground! I had to travel for 4 hours with a basin of dirty dishes on my lap on the way home because we ran out of space in the car so I wouldn't like to imagine dh's response if I told him he had to take his cordless drill as well grin
We have a zip off groundsheet. The gravel wasn't too sharp- we all hopped across it in bare feet/socks at various points to get stuff out the car and it was OK.

NeatFreak Wed 08-Jun-11 18:20:00

There were high winds on the last night and I did get a little worried but it stayed put!
this is our tent, can't rate it highly enough

sneaker Wed 08-Jun-11 19:20:40

Cordless drill??? Oh dear god what have I let myself into?? £40 for pegs seems expensive. This is extreme camping. I know sandy balls do hire them so maybe we're best not to make the investment yet.

Furball Wed 08-Jun-11 20:16:48

could you ring sandy balls and change to a grass pitch?

sneaker Wed 08-Jun-11 20:32:00

I think that was the only option available - either because grass pitches are all full, or aren't available yet or maybe because we have a dog?

Slubberdegullion Wed 08-Jun-11 21:21:01

Rock pegs?

I think these would work.

You could make an extra footprint groundsheet from a tarp from b&q or for a softer underfoot feel some of that rubbery ecomatting that camping shops or caravan suppliers would stock.

Lovecat Thu 09-Jun-11 02:52:28

re. the matting, Lidl are doing 3m x 2.5m rubbery matting groundsheets for £14.99 at the moment - I bought one for a different purpose but they look like they'd feel quite comfy underfoot.

sneaker Thu 09-Jun-11 17:23:50

On iPhone ATM so can't look at links yet, but just wanted to say thankyou for answering. LIDL will be worth a visit methinks!

borderslass Thu 09-Jun-11 17:49:58

Rock pegs and use a hammer instead of a mallet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now