Talk

Advanced search

What camping table?

(33 Posts)
RubberDuck Tue 07-Jun-11 10:18:34

We currently have one of those plastic, fold-outable picnic bench things. It's always been a bit wobbly whenever anyone sits down or gets up, but it's been invaluable and packs up small enough. Can't remember the brand but looks something like this: Blue Folding Table with Seats

Unfortunately, some of the plastic bits that keep the seats out broke last trip so I need to replace. However, was wondering if there was a better brand or design that is more robust and sturdy. Any recommendations?

RubberDuck Tue 07-Jun-11 10:19:47

Crap, link didn't work. How about this one: Folding Table

sneaker Tue 07-Jun-11 19:45:37

Oh cr*p - I've just ordered that!!!

RubberDuck Tue 07-Jun-11 19:55:40

Oh it was good for about 3 years of use to be fair - so for the price it did us okay. I'd just like something a bit sturdier when we replace it smile

sneaker Tue 07-Jun-11 20:05:16

Ah - much can happen in 3 years (like having 2 babies hmm) that's like a lifetime to me! grin

3rdnparty Tue 07-Jun-11 20:09:22

we have had a number of those - 3 years is good going I reckon never got more than 18months but we are clumsysmile... we have this year invested in this

www.attwoolls.co.uk/Camping-Equipment/Camping-Table-and-Chairs/Camping-Tables/Furniture-Set.html

can get better price Tesco has one v similar on offer at teh moment- that just first link and its ok plus points the low setting works fab for kids under 10, its light and the stools are ok as footstools..and feel like they'd last

downsides
not as sturdy as i thought it would be - cant imagine it would survive underneath all the other gear so bit of a pita to pack..

the high level setting is a bit too high even for adults - roughly boob height!- we generally end up using just for kids and me for food prep as dh 6'2 cant use teh stools at all grin

Next time - I will go for one with each leg adjustable and more height options. hth

bilblio Tue 07-Jun-11 20:28:06

We've got one of these
It rolls up to the size of a camping chair. The storage basket underneath is handy and it's sturdy. Because it's not got chairs attached we can keep it up all the time inside the tent, and it's not likely to tip up when someone moves.

They do another version without the storage basket which is £20 cheaper. I meant to pick up the cheaper one in the shop, luckily the assistant charged me for the cheaper one anyone... probably because we were also buying a large tent plus all the gubbins. smile

ReshapeWhileDamp Tue 07-Jun-11 20:37:57

Ooh, I like that sort of pram-basket affair, Bilblio! I was wondering about a roll-top table - do they really work? Worried that it'd be easy to bend the aluminium slats of the top and then it wouldn't slot into the top anymore. Or be a bit buckled and tip your glass of Pinot Noir over. grin

sneaker Tue 07-Jun-11 20:51:54

OMG I have table envy envy

RubberDuck Tue 07-Jun-11 22:11:25

Ooo lots more options. Laughing at boob height though - clearly it's something worth going to visit a shop for rather than blindly buy online.

bilblio: what chairs did you get with that? I have to say, I do like the chairs all being stored in the same unit for convenience, but can see that's probably a source of flimsiness.

How good are either of them on uneven ground - the ones that fold in half in the middle - have they got clips to keep them up even if the floor is a bit wobbly?

bilblio Tue 07-Jun-11 22:48:23

We've only been using ours for a year, but we did have a week camping with it with no problems. The slats are really strong, I couldn't imagine them bending and certainly not breaking.

We use normal folding camping chairs with it, they're a little low, but perfectly managable... DH and I are short arses smile. DD struggles, but she's only 3 so she'd struggle anyway, and she only has a mini chair grin she kneels up... or eats on the floor.

We used it for a couple of weeks as a dining table while my Dad altered ours. The only problem we found then was when DH dragged it around with just the top the elastic holding the slats together will stretch, which is a problem if there's spillable things on it... but if you hold the slats underneath it's fine. Or just don't be daft enough to drag a table around with spillable things on it! This is why I only allow insulated mugs with lids in our tent.

It was also too low for normal dining chairs... but you wouldn't take them camping smile

Cathycat Tue 07-Jun-11 22:56:42

We have a big family and wondered whether it would be a good idea (though odd) to use a wallpaper table with chopped legs, then sit at it with comfy camping chairs ... our fold up set is collapsing after years of use too.

3rdnparty Wed 08-Jun-11 09:57:09

Rubber - yes definately worth trying out if you can...or getting the drill out and making a new level!
the all in one ones do wobble on uneven surfaces and when have 6'2 dh on oneside and 3yr old on the other!

I was a bit worried re glasses of wine on slatted top ones-however they do pack up small and are sturdy- friends use one for their cooker table

Cathy my concern with a wallpaper table is they usually bow a bit after which can be nightmare with wine plates of food

not that all camping shopping is about wine grin

Slubberdegullion Wed 08-Jun-11 10:20:43

Along with the Icey-Tek and the sleeping bags, and the camping pillows and the delta ground pegs and the delta peg puller, and the fleece blankets from Aldi oh and a new camping gaz single stove with attachable saucepan that has a drainer in the lid that I bought yesterday THIS was my other splurge this year.

We have used it a couple of times now and it is absolutely perfect for us. The legs are adjustable and as its lowest setting is spot on for prevention of milk in cereal bowls from being split repeatedly all over laps by the dc. Dh and I have to stoop slightly but at last we can all eat together at the same table without me becoming shrill at the amount of food being dropped.

I love the little stools, you can move them about.

I can sit on a stool here in the tent, or out here by the Cobb, or I can fold it up all nice and small and put it away under the table.

The whole set up pleases me greatly.

RubberDuck Wed 08-Jun-11 10:54:21

Actually the little stools idea is growing on me - are they sturdy enough that they could double up as mini tables for the evening when you need somewhere to balance wine off the grass where the creepy crawlies are?

"not that all camping shopping is about wine"
HERESY!

jamaisjedors Wed 08-Jun-11 11:16:47

Decathlon do one like slubber's with little stools. Don't know if the legs adjust though - highly recommended by 2 friends of mine

jamaisjedors Wed 08-Jun-11 11:17:47

here

Slubberdegullion Wed 08-Jun-11 13:48:45

mm I dunno RubberDuck re stool for a table. Maybe if you had your wine in a wide bottomed beaker. Why not use the table that comes with the chairs as a table for putting your wine on? It being a table and all.

Are you trying to create some sort of multizonal camping pitch? This over here is where we eat dinner, and over here to your left if where we relax and drink wine, round the back is food prep.

RubberDuck Wed 08-Jun-11 14:03:04

grin something like that.

We've all got different camping chairs cos we're awkward buggers and dh likes to be upright, I like a recliner with a foot rest, and kids got whatever was on special offer that they seemed to like. All at differing heights. Plus table for eating on isn't really very recliney and is a pain to keep moving in and out of the awning.

Last holiday, I swiped the caravan step to put my wine, chocolate and book on, but it was a bit too low to stretch down to reach them and the rest of the family whined that they kept falling out of the door as the step was missing (selfish lot, don't they know my wine safety is more important?!).

RubberDuck Wed 08-Jun-11 14:03:31

Perhaps I should just have a flask and a really long straw...

Slubberdegullion Wed 08-Jun-11 14:10:15

If you've already got chairs then I would recommend getting a lafuna table with the adjustable legs, they are highly rated, lightweight and strong.

Yes I can see how having to struggle with wine, chocolate and a book simultaneously is causing you some concern grin. I have found the approach of holding wine in one hand, book in the other and then going into the tent and then the bedroom and zipping up the zip and eating the chocolate in there very quietly works a treat.

Slubberdegullion Wed 08-Jun-11 14:11:32

Or you could get one of those comedy cup holder hats with the straw, put the wine (or molten chocolate....but not the book) in there and then you have two whole hands free.

RubberDuck Wed 08-Jun-11 14:31:33

Comedy cup holder hat is definitely a strong contender at this point grin

PeskyPiskie Wed 08-Jun-11 15:53:42

This looks an ideal solution for the wine problem.

RubberDuck Wed 08-Jun-11 16:44:31

Oh Pesky - that looks AWESOME! I like very much smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now