Talk

Advanced search

Camping with a toddler

(10 Posts)
Hoopsadazy Mon 06-Jun-11 20:22:18

Have a friend who is a seasoned camper, but single and childless. Suggestion is next time he comes to stay we all go away, DH, DS, friend and me for the one night.

Friend has all the gear and knowledge whereas we have none of those. We really like the idea of taking DS (2yrs) in a tent for a night, appreciating that we'll get no sleep.

We can borrow a big enough tent for the three of us from family, but then we get stuck when it comes to sleeping arrangements. Will just be me, DS and DH in our tent, but I don't know how to work out something to sleep on, sleeping bags.....etc.

Are we crazy to think about it?

All help appreciated.

FlorenceMattell Mon 06-Jun-11 20:35:56

No will be great for him. He might not want to settle to sleep at normal bedtime, as light and campsite chatter, noise. But hey you are on holiday.
I would have a double sleeping bag for you and DS and DH have his own.
But DH sleep other side of your son. As long as you Zip up the tent with zips at top he won't escape. Remember lots of layers between you and the ground to keep warm. Ie ground sheet, zigg, picnic blanket, mattress, fleece, sleeping bag also thermal vest imo If he is warm he will sleep well. smile

ThatllDoPig Mon 06-Jun-11 20:39:17

Go for it! ds will love it, just snuggle up and enjoy it. Agree with everything florence says.

biscuitmad Mon 06-Jun-11 21:00:23

Took my 2 1/2 year old he loved it. He had a childrens sleeping bag, we used it like a blanket. Underneath he had a single air matress with a blanket on top.

We wore a thermal long sleeve top, we got it cheap in Primark. On top of that his pyjammers, socks and a wolly hat. We all went to bed at 10pm and he didnt wake up till 5am for a wee, then went back to sleep till 9am. He loved it. Only thing you need to take are some books, bubbles and his favourite teddies.

We had two single airbeds side by side and a double douvey. Do recommend thermals we didnt take them and I was frozen. They are selling camping gear cheap in tescos at the moment. Even better if you use vouchers (if you have any).

Hoopsadazy Mon 06-Jun-11 21:14:27

thermals really needed in July even???

Blimey, am going off the idea!!

Love the other tips though. I think he would really love the adventure of it as he is a little explorer already

FlorenceMattell Mon 06-Jun-11 21:29:32

Hi yes thermals even in height of summer. But then you won't be cold in bed. Also once you get cold hard to warm up. So get changed into night gear early before sun goes down. I wear two pairs or pjs and vest DH -not impressed- loves it.
But is lovely sitting round fire, blankets, roasting marsh mellows, lots of wine.

Hoopsadazy Mon 06-Jun-11 21:35:04

wine? for the toddlers? ;)

oranges123 Mon 06-Jun-11 23:06:00

Second everything everyone says - your toddler will LOVE it. DD has been camping since she was 8 months (is now 18 Months) and always hgas a great time and sleeps really well, though not necessarily the first night as it is all so new and exciting.

Only one thing about the suggestion for bringing bubbles. it is a great idea but apparently bubbles are disastrous for the waterproofing of tents if they come in contact with the nylon or even worse apparently canvas. So it would be a good idea to blow them well away from any tents.

Have fun - you will love camping. Oh, one recommendation I have would be to take headtorches if you can. It can be very useful to be able to see while having two hands free, particularly with a toddler!

Vajazzler Tue 07-Jun-11 07:14:08

We've just been camping with our 18month old. He slept in his grobag on a my first ready bed with a duvet on top. He actually slept really well going down at 9pm until about 8.15am. I was very surprised! We did have a problem with him running off whenever anyones back was turned so we had to fence of the area around our tent with windbreakers.

EveryonesJealousOfGingers Tue 28-Jun-11 22:04:07

Ooh thanks OP just the thread I needed! We're off camping for the first time in July, when DD will be 17mo.

Any other tips as to what to bring or is it just dead simple?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now