Talk

Advanced search

2 x Dozers or Vango Adventure DLX double mats?

(19 Posts)
migola Mon 06-Jun-11 13:47:46

that's it really - am wondering whether to get two of the Dozers (££££ ouch) or one Vango double.. is the Dozer superior to the Vango? is the double really a double which can comfortably fit 2 people?

MisSalLaneous Mon 06-Jun-11 13:54:01

I'd say two Dozers. Should one ever break, you don't have to replace the whole thing. I would imagine it would also be easier to transport, as you can stuff it into gaps in the car.

We have Fat Airics (pre Dozer), and cover it with a fitted sheet (fleece one, then cotton one from normal bed) when camping, so feels like normal double mat anyway.

migola Mon 06-Jun-11 14:13:14

damn it the dozer is out of stock. Does anyone stock it or can you just get them directly from alpkit's website?

MisSalLaneous Mon 06-Jun-11 14:45:57

Only direct as far as I know. What is your budget? The reason that I'm asking is that the big Thermarest - will search name in a minute - is apparently even nicer than the Dozer, but more expensive.

MisSalLaneous Mon 06-Jun-11 14:47:49

rough comparison more info to follow

MisSalLaneous Mon 06-Jun-11 14:53:31

Ok, this Dreamtime one is the one I saw people rave about. Quick search shows you should be able to get it around £140-ish, so double the price, and also big to roll. I think the smaller Thermarests are also very comfortable, but haven't used them myself.

migola Mon 06-Jun-11 14:55:40

thanks MisSal. Don't really have a budget to be honest, but I guess would pay up to £70-80 per mat if it was really worth it. We'll be using them for sleepovers too

migola Mon 06-Jun-11 14:57:02

cross posted. thanks for that but as much as they sound nice, can't really justify spending that amount

will have a look at the other ones under that brand

MisSalLaneous Mon 06-Jun-11 15:00:17

smile No problem. Same here - I do believe that Thermarests are the best, but Alpkit brilliant if looking to spend a bit less for great comfort. Shame that it's out of stock.

migola Mon 06-Jun-11 15:05:38

will just keep track of their website, not in a massive rush

oranges123 Mon 06-Jun-11 15:50:57

Looks like you may opt for the dozer but just to say we have the Vango double - it is 7cm so proably the one you are looking at. It is as comfortable as our Fat Airics used to be and both DH and I (neither of us small) manage to sleep on it fine.

However, it is pretty mahoosive when rolled up. Although the Fat Airics (and presumably the Dozers) are pretty big, even two of them takes up less space than the Vango and, of course, you can put them in different places in the boot - they don't just sit there being enormous all by themselves like the Vango does. If space is no issue though, I can recommed it and it is nice having a double - I used to slide off the single Airic quite a lot - they are quite narrow.

migola Mon 06-Jun-11 16:05:57

hmm now even more confused. We don't have a massive car & always have a pram in the boot. I take it the vango double wouldn't fit on the floor in the back of the car? (both our kids are in car seats so they don't need leg space as such)

oranges123 Mon 06-Jun-11 16:07:58

I think you'd be pushing it unless you are very good at squeezing the air out of it and you have apretty big footwell. I'll have a look at it tonight and see what its dimensions are rolled up.

migola Mon 06-Jun-11 16:19:19

if it's not too much trouble thatwould be great, thanks

bilblio Mon 06-Jun-11 21:17:46

I'd always go with 2 singles, mainly because DH is a fidget, and if I ever went camping or visiting somewhere without him taking a double would be a pain.

Also, your children may not need the leg space now, but they will in a couple of years.

We've got 2 dozers, and a wee airic for DD, they're fab. The best nights sleep we've ever had camping. Even DH didn't complain after a week. He used to complain after 1 night!

Ineedalife Mon 06-Jun-11 22:38:11

I have recently bought a Gelert adventure xl [I think thats what its called]. It is a 10 cm thick SI mat and is seriously comfortable I paid less than £40 for it so its quite a bit cheaper than the dozers.

Just thought I would mention itsmile.

oranges123 Tue 07-Jun-11 10:36:49

Aargh! Just typed a message and when I posted it MN had gone offline for an upgrade and it all disappeared. Soooo annoying. Anyway, Migola - all rolled up, the Vango is a cylinder with a diameter of 34cm and a height of 63cm-ish - basically the width of one half of the mattress. We don't roll it that tight as we have lost the straps which came with it and I am a bit lazy about getting all the air out so you might be able to knock a few cms off the diameter. Maybe you could get it in the footwell of your car if your seats are quite far back.

HTH

migola Tue 07-Jun-11 10:49:53

thanks everyone, having thought about it I think I will get the dozers, because the DCs can use them when they're older if they go camping without us. They will also be better to store, and good for sleepovers.
HOWEVER Ineedalife I'm going to check out the Gelert which seems dirt cheap

poppyboo Tue 07-Jun-11 18:45:46

I have an XL Thermarest Basecamp (cost me about £70), and I found it very comfy (especially if you let it self inflate and then put a few puffs in it) I had it too soft the first couple of nights and woke with a bit of back ache, nice and comfy when it is inflated nice and firmly. I can dig out the link if you are interested in the website i bought it at that price.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: