Talk

Advanced search

Tents as spare rooms - recommendations

(6 Posts)
greenenergy Mon 06-Jun-11 13:34:02

Am thinking of buying a tent/ tents to pitch in garden as a spare room when family and friends come to stay. The max people we need to accomodate are 6 kids plus I guess one or two supervising adults.

I've got quite a big budget as we originally planned to convert our garage but this is going to be v expensive and have realised what I really need is some extra space one or two weeks a year (mainly in summer but would like to cover Easter/ October half term if possible)

I've looked at yurts/ bell tents and then wondered whether we should just stick to summer and go for a large family style tent or maybe just a whole encampment of 2/4 man pop up tents. We have quite a big garden so could fit up to a 4m bell tent.

I'm anticipating that it will mainly be for weekends and want to balance ease/ hassle of putting up/ down/ storing it with fun/ wow factor.

What would you recommend? Any other tips (toilets/ sleeping bags etc)?

PrinceHumperdink Mon 06-Jun-11 14:43:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jaffacake79 Mon 06-Jun-11 14:45:43

Summer house in the garden, big enough to put people up in on air mattresses etc but nice enough that you can use it the rest of the year round.

MisSalLaneous Mon 06-Jun-11 15:11:47

We have a 4m bell - it's definitely too small for that many people imo. Sounds like an adventure for the children though, so nice idea. If you decide to go for that set-up, I'd not bother with sleeping bags, and use duvets instead. I would imagine a warm synthetic duvet would be cheaper than a good quality sleeping bag, but might be wrong.

greenenergy Mon 06-Jun-11 17:57:43

Thanks for early feedback - anyone else? Was keen on the camping angle as don't really want a permanent structure in garden plus thought camping more fun than a shed (plus all sorts of funny planning rules about sheds you can sleep in).

2 double beds quite a lot for the kids actually - they managed 4 in a double bed last year!

overthemill Tue 07-Jun-11 22:19:31

we have had two structures in 2 different gardens. one as office and one as room/spare room/office. neither needed planning permission. we love the one we have now, brilliant as it has a sleeping loft that kids use and we have piano/playstaion out there! i really would look at these on websites. we paid £6k plus elect and installation inc underfloor heating.

but having said that, bell tent with stove would be a lovely 'wow' for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now