Talk

Advanced search

Those of you who cook under a tarp - over here, please!

(5 Posts)
millionsandmillions Mon 06-Jun-11 10:45:46

I possibly either need you to help me or to tell me I'm insane, and to stop.

We bought a tent at a car boot sale thinking it would be a easier alternative to our 8-man Khyam for shorter breaks, but it didn't really work out well. Well, it blew over, to put it bluntly.

It's not a resaleable make - v odd, Chinese, doesn't show up anywhere on Google. Dh thinks more guy ropes and pegs will help, but I wonder if we can trust it again.

I could just shove it on freecycle and write it off, but then I had this idea that maybe I could cut it up and make it into a tarp? You know, like this one? I mean, how hard can that be, right?

Can anyone tell me roughly how big their tarps are, and how they work? and then I can work out if this is a practical, genius recycling plan or a work of madness that will reduce me and my tent to shreds?

Slubberdegullion Mon 06-Jun-11 10:57:08

Our tarp is 3 x 3 m. It has proper eyelets on all four corners, and a further 4 guy points half way along each side.

You can get eyelet making kits from most good camping shops or from eBay.

I think it's a great idea. They are a great bit of kit that packs very small. You will need a few poles though, and recycle the guys from your tent too if they are long enough.

millionsandmillions Mon 06-Jun-11 11:06:55

Oh ta slubber; that does sound possible doesn't it. Just a square, you say...

(I used to MN as Cappuccino - now I just occasionally lurk over in camping to perve over people's tents..!)

MisSalLaneous Mon 06-Jun-11 11:55:22

Agree, great idea and you'll save loads. Ours is 375 x 375 square, and it's extremely useful - see here (I didn't buy ours there btw.)

Slubberdegullion Mon 06-Jun-11 12:06:34

No worries millions (I remember you as Capuccino btw).

Tell us how you get on.

There are quite a few you tube clips with earnest types showing different ways to set up a tarp, although the standard ridge set up is one of the easiest .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now