Talk

Advanced search

camping uk: anybody know of any uk versions of all bells and whistles french sites?

(15 Posts)
overthemill Sun 05-Jun-11 18:09:49

normally we go to france and do venue/eurocamp type camping in places like ile d'oleron, royan, brittany but this year we are credit crunched and plan to use our own tent in uk like we used to when kids were little. We love camping and usually have an ace time no matter where but as we haven't done a whole family camping trip for 2 weeks in years, i wondered if you have any recommendations?

Thinking of places that have a swimming pool and maybe other facilities that will cater for our kids of 12, 15 and 18. We usually go to the quieter kind of campsites in france and love the sea and walking but kids do like to swim and saunter around making friends and i like to sit and watch them reading with glass of wine in hand! So not really busy butlins type places iyswim?

overthemill Mon 06-Jun-11 10:26:04

bump

BelovedCunt Mon 06-Jun-11 13:07:35

doesn't exist in uk.

PeskyPiskie Mon 06-Jun-11 16:16:01

I don't think they exist in the same way as they do in France, but there are campsites that fit most of the bill. How about Kelling Heath? It may just be a case of doing lots of research on here.

overthemill Mon 06-Jun-11 16:29:05

thanks pesky, we've seen kelling heath but it is expensive, i think. but will keep looking!

BelovedCunt Mon 06-Jun-11 17:32:31

you have to change your expectations for uk, we don't have the weather and unless you go to remote places everywhere is rammed

overthemill Mon 06-Jun-11 22:38:15

beloved, yes i'm guessing we will have to do that. Fearing that for our 3 dcs we may need more than the odd campfie and trip to seaside though so that's why i was wondering about campsites with more 'facilities'. we are happy anywhere but kids do like stuff to do and love the pool and the tournaments like boule and le foot - may have to try to afford france ..

exexpat Mon 06-Jun-11 22:41:24

Do you mean this sort of place - River Dart Country Park? I haven't been, but friends of mine have camped there, and it sounds like there is lots of stuff going on for the children. Not sure if there's a swimming pool though.

Ineedalife Mon 06-Jun-11 22:43:18

What about the river dart country park, depending on what your Dc's like to do, there is an asault course over the lake, rope swing, swimming pol, tennis a small clubhouse/cafe thing. My Dc's are different ages 14 and 7 when we went but they loved it and want to go back.

It's on the edge of dartmoor so lots of walks and river swimming nearby.

Good luck and let us know what else you findsmile.

Ineedalife Mon 06-Jun-11 22:44:03

Sorry cross posted with exexpat, great minds eh!grin

exexpat Mon 06-Jun-11 22:50:34

grin

overthemill Mon 06-Jun-11 22:57:07

yes, exactly this kind of place! thanks - i knew someone would know a good place! looks great - will investigate grin

ChippyMinton Tue 07-Jun-11 08:07:32

Have a look at Park Resorts Nodes Point on the Isle of Wight. It's relatively small and low-key for a mobile home site but also has a lovely camping field right next to the beach. Indoor pool, bar, kids club activities (think they do a teen one), cheesy cabaret etc. The company has other sites which are bigger and brasher wink, but this one doesn't seem to attract the rowdier crowd IYSWIM.

dreamingofsun Tue 07-Jun-11 08:53:15

chippy - i'm sorry but nodes is nothing like the french sites I've been to. Its much more hidy high and the camping field is just that - a big field - no nice hedges around your pitch. OK so they've got a football area, but i can't remember mutch else in the way of sports. the water kept cutting out in the showers when we went there - once when i'd just soaped myself and had tonnes of shampoo in my hair.

river dart has a small pool and is probably your best bet.

ChippyMinton Tue 07-Jun-11 10:37:52

dreamingofsun - I agree, it's not like a french site (I didn't say it was, and I have been to many over the years smile) but it does have more than just a field and toilet block, so worth a look.

And the Isle of Wight has loads of good walking, beaches etc. which the OP was after also.

River Dart does look good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: