Talk

Advanced search

Help me decide which tent the Vango Icarus 600 or the Quechua 4.2 XL Im going

(9 Posts)
whichtent Sun 05-Jun-11 10:04:15

Camping with two children 3 and 5 alone,I need a tent I can manage to put up by myself.

Im also worried about them being down the other end I want to keep a eye on them,any wise words of wisdom would be great and any tips please.

Wolfgirl Sun 05-Jun-11 10:43:06

We checked out the Vango I 600 and loved it. But then I saw the Outwell Oakland XL... and that was that. If you fancy taking a look at the Oakland, cheapest I have found in the internet is LPC tents, here....

However, we do have the Outwell Vermont XL, and paid big bucks for it last year. Thing is, we only tend to go for short camping breaks, and we are thinking it takes too long to erect, so might sell it next year and invest in the Oakland. Decisions decisions. We shall see. Can't quite afford both at the moment, but if I had myyyyyyyyy way... grin

PeskyPiskie Sun 05-Jun-11 11:56:55

I have the Icarus 500 which is a fine size for 4. You may not need a tent as big as the 600. Putting the 500 tent up on it's own wouldn't be easy, but would be possible. It's not heavy and you don't need to be tall for it either. I love mine.

whichtent Sun 05-Jun-11 12:30:13

Thanks to you both ,it looks like im going for the Vango.

3rdnparty Sun 05-Jun-11 13:41:00

Which tent, for 3 the 500 probably big enough - yeomans outdoors have some great videos on how to put up tents!

we have this one which is similar design and I can put it up myself - poles in then peg middle back guy (depending on wind direction- open the front door gives bit of lift ) then pull up with front main guy and peg that.....

www.yeomansoutdoors.co.uk/products/outwell-virginia-5-tent.aspx

love the idea of the pop up but they do wobble when its windy - dont fall but unerves me smile

notwavingjustironing Sun 05-Jun-11 15:25:14

Hello another big vote for the Vango 500 - I love mine! If you want some extra space buy the enclosed canopy that attaches onto the end it gives you tons more living space !!

mell242 Wed 08-Jun-11 10:39:01

Love our Vango 600, there's only 2 of us and a toddler but we use the 'spare bedroom' for storage!

Piffpaffpoff Wed 08-Jun-11 14:50:36

I've got the Icarus 600 for me and DCs (4 and 2) and I manage to put it up myself, takes me about 20 mins to put up. I really like it, we're just back from 4 days away in it and I'm planning my next trip already! I've also got the canopy which gives a little bit more room when it's raining.

Furball Wed 08-Jun-11 15:04:06

I used to have a Vango icarus 500 and could put that up more or less on my own. My then 7 YO used to just lightly hold the poles upright one at a time for me to get the pegs in. very little effort required. Like another poster said - 20 mins absolute max pitching time start to finish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now