Talk

Advanced search

My friends mocked my Fire Bucket

(58 Posts)
Slubberdegullion Sat 04-Jun-11 16:14:15

"and where is the muster station?" they said

And "do you have a fire whistle? What will be the signal?"

Nothing funny about a fire bucket imo. Very serious and sensible it is.
<folds arms>

weblette Sat 04-Jun-11 16:15:25

Given the thread from the other day about a tent going up in flames, more fool them.

Slubberdegullion Sat 04-Jun-11 16:16:22

oooh what thread?
<goes off to search>

weblette Sat 04-Jun-11 16:17:43

This one

Slubberdegullion Sat 04-Jun-11 16:23:58

Bloody hell.

Scary stuff.

Threadworm8 Sat 04-Jun-11 16:30:06

How awful for you Slubber. The thread-title sounds like the headline for one of those Tragedy in Real Life stories you used to get in Readers Digest.

Slubberdegullion Sat 04-Jun-11 16:41:52

yeah Thready. Although this thread or the readers digest article would be a much more valid real life tragedy if something had gone up in flames and my much derided fire bucket had been emptied and shamefully hidden round the back of the utility.

sadly thankfully it only served to drown a few earwigs in the lid.

notwavingjustironing Sat 04-Jun-11 16:51:19

<<waves>>
hello did you have a good trip?

My mates mock my "every eventuality" first aid kit and general forward planning but they are always very grateful in a crisis!

<<adds fire bucket to list>>

Slubberdegullion Sat 04-Jun-11 17:18:23

<waves back>

Awesome notwaving, just awesome. I love the Lleyn more than words can say sometimes <weeps a little>. Fantastic site with it's own little cove, saw THREE seals, mountainy hills, sunshine, extreme green grass, dd2 learnt to cycle without stabilisers, large volume of roasted meats on the Cobb consumed, swam in the crystal clear but still fucking freezing Irish sea, new icey tek still icey on day seven.

All was good, despite mild bucket mockery and a teeny weeny bit of syphillitic weather that I threw off and laughed at in my new extremely clever m&s vest.

notwavingjustironing Sat 04-Jun-11 17:50:13

We cheated and stayed in an apartment on anglesey this time as DH was in tow - this years inaugural camping trip will be at fishpool in delamere in a couple of weeks with my girl mates and a pile of Dcs- should be a hoot!

Disclaimer we did spend the whole week outside horse riding boat tripping rock pooling etc ......

Am sure I was on a boat trip to puffin island with some MNers and their Dcs!!

SybilBeddows Sat 04-Jun-11 17:59:16

Fire bucket sounds v sensible to me.

I mocked dh's tick puller-outers but he had the last laugh when we got ticks. And then we didn't have any antiseptic cream, I am a RUBBISH camper! shock

Slubberdegullion Sat 04-Jun-11 18:46:34

Nothing funny about a puller outer Sybil. A most excellent tiny little gadget that packs away beautifully.

I've been to Fishpool not waving, but for dog class not camping. Looks good, the site behind the pub?

Selks Sat 04-Jun-11 18:51:12

Well after seeing someone drunkenly fall into a camp fire at a festival years ago I would say having a bucket of water or something else handy is a bloody good idea.
The guy way ok by the way after hospital treatment for minor burns but it could have been horrific.

Selks Sat 04-Jun-11 18:51:37

oops typo

notwavingjustironing Sat 04-Jun-11 18:56:25

That's the one! Have just roped in another two people today - if you fancy popping down PM me and I'll give you the details!

I might even have a foldup washing up bowl by then ....

Slubberdegullion Sat 04-Jun-11 19:04:39

Yes selks. Having had a child nearly fall in the Cobb last night despite three adults sitting round and guarding it, the fire bucket would have come in handy then too.

Slubberdegullion Sat 04-Jun-11 19:05:23

Have pmd you notwaving. smile

notwavingjustironing Sat 04-Jun-11 19:14:31

Excellent will pick up tomorrow when am back on computer!

chicaguapa Sat 04-Jun-11 19:32:06

I have a fire bucket too, I was insistent that it be red and had FIRE written on it. My reasoning was that I have a fire pit and I want to put Center Parcs logs on it after my bbq. If challenged by the site staff I will be able to show that I am taking fire safety seriously. <shines halo>

Slubberdegullion Sat 04-Jun-11 19:46:18

chicaguapa you are one up on me. My fire bucket is my old white nappy bucket, originally taken to piss in at night but commandeered for fire safety.

Do you think I should write 'fire' on the front.....mmmm or maybe get some big red letters to stick on?

chipmonkey Mon 06-Jun-11 21:01:28

Oh, I thought a fire bucket was going to be something you sat around to warm yourself, sort of like a camp fire in a bucket.

Ineedalife Mon 06-Jun-11 22:34:02

I have a fire bucket slubber, its one of those folding ones.

My friends take the p s out of me when I go camping because of all the usefull stuff I take such as clothes pegs, bag clips, string, spare guyline, hundreds of tent pegs of various type.

But who is the person they all come running to when somethin goes pear shaped ??hmm.

MadamDeathstare Mon 06-Jun-11 22:38:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Slubberdegullion Tue 07-Jun-11 09:57:09

Do you have a link for your folding fire bucket Ineedalife? i've tried googling but can only see the ridgid ones.

Madam, yes exactly. Instant treatment for burns too.

I wonder if there is a link between those who have camped as Guides and Scouts (and have had safety safety safety drilled into them) and those campers who as adults take with them all the boxes of extra useful stuff?

RubberDuck Tue 07-Jun-11 10:14:39

We have a fire bucket. We were going to go on a CC&C meet (or could have been caravan club, can't remember now - didn't go in the end) and they insist on a fire bucket for their temporary site type meets.

Probably not too much of an issue on a commercial campsite with lots of fire points, but sod it, better safe than sorry. Doesn't take up much space or take long to fill it up after all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: