Talk

Advanced search

is a total rackett at night normal?

(22 Posts)
redderthanred Mon 30-May-11 15:16:27

Just got back from first camp. Loved it all, bar one thing ... The total sleep deprivation caused by fellow campers... Is this normal or am I a grump? One side we had a group of tents shouting oggy oggy until midniight and larking about squarking.. then the other side we had the worlds earliest risers who's children were up and playing outside the tent at 6am.
Is this how it usually is? Dd is exhausted and I'm not far behind.

sunshinehugs Mon 30-May-11 15:24:34

I don't know about ordinary camping but went to the V festival and the tent next to us seem to sing Chelsea Daggers continously from 11pm to 7am, had a little rest and started up again about 9am . Their stamina was quite amazing! I'd just got back from a pretty full on holiday straight to the festival and nearly went crazy with frustration and exhaustion. We left 24hours early! Every time I hear that song I have disturbing flashbacks grin

aliceliddell Mon 30-May-11 15:30:14

Oh, my dears! I can only presume you have unfortunately happened upon a <sniff> lower class type of camper. This is certainly NOT usual and much frowned upon in the naicer taypes orf cemping esteblishment.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 30-May-11 15:49:03

Oh dear, you should try a Camping and Caravan Club site, they are normally very quiet.

We just came back and had a lovely quiet weekend.

DontCallMeBaby Mon 30-May-11 15:49:16

How does one go about finding a naicer taype orf cemping esteblishment? Cos I could have done without the half-remembered campfire songs*, random shouts of '<<incomprehensible>> Arm-y'**, and screaming at the children and dogs*

Now DH is in a grump and not convinced he wants to go camping again, because he doesn't like other people.

Mind you, at least the fact that even the youngest children were up and about until 11pm meant that they didn't get up at the crack of dawn - if they had that would really have been the final straw.

* it's 'you'll never get to heaven in a biscuit tin, cos a biscuit tin's got biscuit's in', good grief, it's not exactly Italian opera, easy enough to remember
** if you go about yelling this outside the context of a football match, you are a nob, end of story; in fact if you yell it at a football match you're probably a nob
* Milo and Marley, you have my sympathies, you seemed to be perfectly nice dogs, and if you ever got any attention apart from when you're doing something wrong you might be even nicer dogs

DontCallMeBaby Mon 30-May-11 15:50:44

Ah - <<notes down Camping and Caravan Club>>

<<also notes is finally turning into own parents>>

redderthanred Mon 30-May-11 16:02:24

yeah - we all said they were nobs. Huge nobs!
they were a bit group of tents, mixed ages and who on earth shouts the oggy oggy thing at mid night, on a family campsite.
Fuckers.

Dd was SO tired. the first night she was awake until 12.30. and then was woken up by the other side of campers at 6.15. She was crying most of the day and the night nosisy side childrent asked what was wrong with her and i did tell them she was tired because she didnt get much sleep.

i realise i sound like a right grump, but i cant see how you could camp for more than 2/3 nights only getting 5/6 hours sleep a night.

Other than that the site was great. I want to book something in aug - will start a thread for recommedations.

ASByatt Mon 30-May-11 16:17:00

This is a problem we have encountered quite a few times - and I can't say that Camping and Caranning Club sites are immune, either.

paddypoopants Mon 30-May-11 16:23:26

I've always found bank holiday weekends the worst for noisy campers. It's like people who don't normally go camping all descend on the campsite at the same time and get pissed and loud and spend the night tripping over your guy ropes to go for a piss in the bushes.

PrinceHumperdink Mon 30-May-11 16:27:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redderthanred Mon 30-May-11 16:48:19

im not being so grumpy as to want to stop their fun, but could they not have been quieter rather than full blown shouting. There was a 6 berth caravan with awning housing 8 of them. an 8 man tent with 8 and a 6 man, with, yes 6 of them. Thats a whole lot of noise. Only 3 of that lot were children ( over 10) the rest were adults... could they just not have kept it a bit quieter?

adn the early morning risers allowing their kids out of the tent playing football right behind my tent... yeah. that was fab. thanks for that.

ASByatt Mon 30-May-11 16:49:51

I think lots of people don't realise how the noise carries, especially at night.

TheCowardlyLion Mon 30-May-11 16:58:42

I do sympathise - I love camping but hate noisy campers with a passion and the wrong site can really ruin the experience. I would second PrinceHumperdink's recommendation for the more basic type of site, and also look for ones which don't take group bookings.

<disclaimer: doesn't eradicate risk of really noisy families/early rising children though>

NormanTebbit Mon 30-May-11 16:58:58

I had to put up with the guy next door shouting at his kids at around midnight; "shut it, yer wee f'ing bawbag," and "Chloe, hen, you are gettin a doin' if you don't shut it," all over snotty sobs from his kids.

I had my revenge when my kids woke at 6am though

SeaShellsHasSandInHerShoes Mon 30-May-11 17:09:54

Ah, guilty of 6 am starts (ds1 woke us and everyone else up singing old Macdonald had a farm at 6am. Trying getting a 2yo to shut up is v difficult)

Lots of parties this weekend though-we left the high chair for dd2 out and surprisingly had a good radius clear of groups away from us wink

ihearthuckabees Mon 30-May-11 17:22:55

If it's not rowdy, pissed campers, it'll be the crow dawn chorus. Very good earplugs are a MUST when camping. Queis are the best - comfy but still work. Don't buy any other foam ones, and hard ones are too uncomfortable. You can get Queis on Amazon.

HTH

SparklyCloud Mon 30-May-11 18:01:24

What you do is, send the kids right outside their tent at 8am (they will still be in bed - these pissed up rowdy ones never get up before 9 I find) to make the biggest racket, and hope they challenge you. You can then tell them thats how they sounded at midnight!

Choufleur Mon 30-May-11 21:03:59

I think getting up fairly early is par for the course camping. The light wakes kids up.

I sent Ds out at about 6.30am yesterday to play stand outside the noisy young people's tent who had been making a racket enjoying themselves until gone midnight. They were much quieter last night.

I had tried to keep him quiet for about an hour by that point and then gave up cos I was so bloody tired.

needanewname Mon 30-May-11 21:49:58

Oh dear, look at recommendations on here and campsite UK.

Also complain to the campsite owners if others are too noisey and check on there noise curfew policy before you go.

Not all campers are noisey, you just need to find better sites.

Wheereabouts do you want to go camping, I'm sure MN can help you!

MadamDeathstare Mon 30-May-11 21:56:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Labradorlover Tue 31-May-11 08:18:00

What ihearthuckabees said, earplugs are essential.

Lovecat Tue 31-May-11 09:08:25

Definitely earplugs and blackout masks. I picked up some earplugs in TKMaxx called 'skoots', they have separate inner bits for different levels of noise blocking (mine came in 'snoring' and 'total') - didn't hear a thing and slept til 8.30 - which for me, on a campsite, is pretty darn amazing.

And it helped that we were on a terribly 'naice' campsite where the wardens were on the ball and there was a 10.30 rule - apart from 2 shrieking harpies (who'd shut up by 11, so we weren't too bothered) everyone was quiet after that time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: