Talk

Advanced search

Upgrading to a family tent - essential extras for an Outwell Montana 6?

(11 Posts)
TwigletMonster Fri 27-May-11 13:58:19

Going for the Go Outdoors deal tomorrow to get ourselves an Outwell Montana 6 - DH and I camped a bit at festivals, so now we need to grow up and get a family tent!

Any must have accessories for the Montana 6? Am thinking a footprint. Anything else to make it a slightly more salubrious experience than falling into the tent at 5am and sleeping fully clothed...

Lucycat Fri 27-May-11 15:48:21

We dont do carpets or such like but I think that good storage in a tent makes all the difference. Crates for shoes (we have a no shoe policy en tente grin) Tightly sealing plastic boxes for food - keep the mice out. a few of those pop up jobbies to chuck towels etc in and a small box each for the kids to keep 'their stuff' in.
and a small table to put outside inbetween you chairs to stand your wine glasses on when the kids have gone to bed. this kind of thing

That's my advice - other people will go for comfier stuff but I a bit more practical grin

gibba8 Fri 27-May-11 20:33:28

Footprint and the fitted carpet and the extension and a second morgage to pay for it all smile

We love our Montana 6! smile

HonestyBox Fri 27-May-11 21:37:22

Do you have a discount card and do you know about the price guarantee?

E.g. You could get it for £410 if you print off this page from a competitor's website and another page showing it in stock including the delivery charge wink. You do need the discount card though. I haven't tried it but I know other people who have.

TwigletMonster Fri 27-May-11 22:07:22

Thanks, read a review about the carpet which said it was a bit slippy. Will definitely get the footprint though.

Honesty think we're getting it for £399 - special offer on tomorrow only, with discount card. Called the store the other day and they advised doing 'click and collect' to endure they've one in stock. Hope the weather stays day tomorrow so we can pitch it in the garden (if it fits!!)

WhereTheWildThingsWere Sat 28-May-11 07:55:45

We ummed and ahhh about getting a carpet when we got our Monty, in the end we didn't and in the first three days of camping, a tube of suncream got trodden on, squirting everywhere, a cup of Ribena got spilt and ds dropped has spag bol on the floor.

Needless to say we were very glad to just be cleaning groundsheet grin

Also we have friends with carpets and they get very shrieky about no shoes in tents, which does my head in a bit. I zip the bedrooms up in the day as I don't want the kids running in and out in their, but the living space I just sweep once a day.

We do have a footprint and would also reccoment lots of storage, we have loads of trugs (Tesco, B&Q, homebase) so useful can be toy baskets/dirty laundry bins/shoe bins/washing up bowls/ice buckets/baths for both kids and dogs.

hsurp Sat 28-May-11 08:02:52

Coleman tents are the best!!! I got a 9 person tent, with a separator for 2 rooms if needed! Easy to set up. There are also 3 room tents out there with dividers for the 3 rooms! Just need sleeping bags and pillows and can throw LOTS of extras in these tents!!! You may need some plastic containers for clothes and a big cooler for food/drink. And a nice small grill will do fine. Camping is GREAT FUN! Just went this past Sunday and Monday nights! Back again for a month in the next few weeks!

carries Sat 28-May-11 08:41:37

Just back from our first camping holiday in our Montana 6. I would recommend the carpet. Feels warmer under foot in mornings, the amount of stuff we have i.e kitchen unit, stove, holdalls etc stop any slipping, and all spillages mopped up really well. The footprint is a must.

However, I've read lucycat's post and will follow her storage tips for next time.

TwigletMonster Sat 28-May-11 09:55:18

Just picked it up! Had a look at some of smaller Outwells pitched, but the bedrooms looked quite small so stuck with the Montana.
Good suggestions for storage WTWTW but how on earth do you fit it all in the car?!! We've a passat estate, and will need to take a buggy for DS. Seriously worried about how we'll fit the rest of the kit in!

WhereTheWildThingsWere Sat 28-May-11 12:30:03

Packing is dp's area grin I assemble everything at the front door, then take the kids and dog to the park, when we come back voila! It is done and I don't have to witness any of the swearing or kicking that I know goes on.

We have a Golf estate, so a tad smaller but we do have a roofbox, the reason I like trugs so much is I stack them all up empty in the car and just pack the top one, so they really take up very little room.

I would never get a pushchair in though, I don't think I have ever taken a pushchair away anywhere though, we have always done a lot of slinging.

TwigletMonster Sat 28-May-11 13:41:08

That's a good idea, I might try that next time!

Will think about taking a sling - even a small McLaren would take up valuable space! Not sure that DS would nap in the sling or in a hot tent for a reasonable amount of time though, he's such a fidget and likes his bed!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: