Talk

Advanced search

What cake to bake for camping?

(25 Posts)
Grockle Thu 26-May-11 22:44:30

Not sure whether this is food or camping but I need a cake (well, cakes) that can survive a 5 hr shock car journey and still be edible. 1 to eat when we get there and one for a couple of days later. Nothing chocolatey or gooey and not a heavy fruit cake. I was thinking gingerbread or malt loaf (although it is much cheaper just to buy malt loaf)?

What do other people take?

Grockle Thu 26-May-11 22:45:31

And I don't have a Cobb so I can't bake while I am there!

needanewname Thu 26-May-11 22:58:30

lemon drizzle cake!

Tommy Thu 26-May-11 23:00:04

flapjacks - v popular round here for camping
Date and walnut
gingerbread
carrot cake

Ragwort Thu 26-May-11 23:00:26

Banana bread ?

FlubbaBubba Thu 26-May-11 23:01:36

pound cake?

FlubbaBubba Thu 26-May-11 23:02:14

ooh, yes, banana bread's a good idea too

Grockle Thu 26-May-11 23:12:56

Ooo LDC and gingerbread I think. And flapjacks. I shall bake all night tomorrow! I love banana bread but have no bananas shock

Thanks everyone!

harrietlichman Fri 27-May-11 10:16:54

I was about to post same thread! Banana bread sounds great - off to bake!

midnightexpress Fri 27-May-11 10:18:43

Nigella does a really lovely fruit cake with dried pears and marzipan in it. I think it's in domestic goddess.

3rdnparty Fri 27-May-11 11:16:49

gingerbread- probably most frequent as can handle less than delicate treatment
parkin
brownies- only if forecast not too warm - melt a bit otherwise
flapjacks
tea loaf
lemon drizzle
friend does Nigella cherry and almond and its lovely...
have also done Nigella butter cake it was v v v yummy - but too moreish
shortbread
also take tupperware of pancake mix and add egg/milk for breakfast first morning fab with honey/bacon....

going Fri 27-May-11 11:21:07

Madeira cakes last well and you can add flavours.

I would also bake banana bread!

Quenelle Fri 27-May-11 11:34:30

I once made banana bread and ginger cake to take camping near Abergavenny.

The ginger cake was delicious, it's very moist so is not likely to dry out.

The banana bread? Well it had rained all week and DH suggested we should use it to soak up the huge puddle in the campsite entrance so the cars could get in and out.

ReshapeWhileDamp Sun 29-May-11 22:48:47

Definitely a ginger cake. My mum's been doing one recently that's incredibly chewy and dense - would definitely survive the car! And for later - maybe Nigella's Rhubarb and Polenta cake? Sounds wanky but is delish.

Selks Sun 29-May-11 22:58:24

It's quite a 'grown-up' recipe (similar to parkin but more interesting) so I don't know if this would suit if you are intending it for childre but take a look at this recipe - I had a slice of one that a friend had made the other day, and it was the best cake that I've had in a long time..and would probably keep very well.

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/may/21/honey-treacle-cake-recipe

My friend just used ordinary flour instead of the rye flour. Would also work well with wholemeal flour.

Grockle Sun 05-Jun-11 16:27:38

I just made yours, Selks - it smells fabulous. DS(5) came down, sniffed and said, 'Why does it smell like christmas?' grin

Lovecat Sun 05-Jun-11 18:05:28

Nigella's honey cake recipe bakes like a Jamaican Ginger cake with no ginger, if ginger's not your thing (does that sentence make any sense?)

I found a fabulous recipe for banana bread last year - it has chocolate buttons/remains of DD's easter egg hoard in it, so perhaps not for choc lovers, you can make it without but the little nuggets of choccy are rather lovely - very moist and utterly delish, makes 3 loaves and freezes beautifully - despite what he says in the intro, we have packed it up and taken it away on weekends and it kept fine.

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 05-Jun-11 18:05:53

I baked the one Selks linked to last week for our camping trip too!

Lovecat Sun 05-Jun-11 18:06:27

Aargh, pressed post too soon! I made it with ordinary flour instead of the half wholewheat and it was YUM....

moodymary Sun 05-Jun-11 18:11:37

Another vote for banana bread!

Also, I make a Mary Berry tea loaf which will keep for up to a week in a cake tin. It is nowhere near as heavy as a 'proper' fruit cake and you make it by soaking the dried fruit in earl grey tea overnight before mixing. Can try to link to a recipe if it sounds like your thing!

Selks Sun 05-Jun-11 18:16:26

Cool - two of you have baked the cake that I linked to! It's definitely a keeper of a recipe. I could kill for a slice right now to be honest.

Grockle Sun 05-Jun-11 18:57:04

It is delicious! I used spelt flour & a little plain flour. Yum. DS says he doesn't like it, which is fine with me grin

UptoapointLordCopper Sun 05-Jun-11 19:19:26

I used rye flour. Makes it a bit sticky. It's yummy.

overthemill Mon 06-Jun-11 08:59:32

these all sound fab, will make selks' one first! Love the nigella rhubarb/polenta cake, made that a few weeks ago but prefer a tad the sophie grigson one, will find a link later.

i have a question that maybe all you cake makers can answer: a few years' ago I had a slice of cake made by someone's sister that was beyond heaven and the person never got me the recipe. It was banana bread but had chunks of ginger in it. It was so good and I have never been able to replicate it. Anybody have any ideas? Would love to make it for dd's 18th bash.
thanks

overthemill Mon 06-Jun-11 09:06:10

thanks to fanjolalansbury for this cut and paste from another thread:

Sophie Grigson's 'Country Kitchen' - recipe for Apple Sauce Cake but can used any stewed fruit - plums, gooseberries, rhubarb it is wonderful.

10 oz SR flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
half teaspoon salt
4 oz caster sugar
4oz demerara sugar
(plus some for sprinkling)
4 oz butter, melted
2 eggs
half a pint unsweetened stewed gooseberries (or applesauce, or indeed rhubarb, or pureed stewed plums).
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pre heat oven 180C 350F gas mark 4.
Line a 9 inch tin with non-stick baking parchment and butter the sides.

Mix the flour with the baking powder, salt and sugars.
Make a well in the centre and add the butter, egss, stewed gooseberries/apples whatever and vanilla extract.
Beat the whole lot together well then pour into the tin.
Smooth down lightly, then sprinkle about one and a half to two tablespoons of demerara sugar over the surface.

Bake for about 45 minutes until firm to the touch, test with a skewer. If it comes out clean, it's cooked.
Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes in the tin before turning out.

Keeps well, firming up after a day or two, staying moist.
If sweetened fruit is used, reduce the granulated sugar content to 2 oz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now