Talk

Advanced search

Anyone camping this wkend?

(20 Posts)
numptysmummy Tue 24-May-11 11:24:12

We're planning to camp this weekend,just for one night and quite locally. Anyone got any top tips - this will be our first time!

Ineedalife Tue 24-May-11 11:40:28

Peg your tent out really well, if this wind carries on.

Try to pitch with the back of the tent into the wind and get as close to a hedge as possible. Use the car as a wind break at night.

Apart from that, fish and chips for tea, a hot water bottle for bedtime and enjoy yourselves.smile.

SewCrafty Tue 24-May-11 13:31:15

yes, seven nights in Dorset, in our caravan though, not tent. It's quite a palava for just one night, much better for two or more. Esp if you've got wee kids, they may not settle down well first night, when ours were younger they got more tired as the holiday goes on, so went to bed easier.

Def fish and chips for tea.

munkymaz Tue 24-May-11 13:53:19

Yes, setting off Sat am (v.early!) for Applecross for 3 nights then over to Skye and ferry to Malaig to the white sands campsite for 4 nights.

Just praying the wind and rain stop long enough to get the tent up.

Pinkjenny Tue 24-May-11 13:56:05

Yes, off to Boroughbridge near York for two nights. Excitedly checking the weather report every two seconds.

BadRoly Tue 24-May-11 13:56:26

Yes - assuming dh doesn't get trapped in Abu Dhabi by this volcanic dust cloud...

JemimaMop Tue 24-May-11 13:56:31

Yes, we are camping at the Forest of Dean this weekend.

FlipFantasia Tue 24-May-11 15:34:34

Yup, off to camp in Kent (Dunn Street Farm in Kent). Just a quick 2 night trip down from London but should be good fun smile

SeaShellsHasSandInHerShoes Tue 24-May-11 16:23:56

Yes-new forest, first time with 2kids under 3!!

Quenelle Tue 24-May-11 17:20:13

Yes. Hoping to get one night at Wicksteed Park to roadtest our new tent. Weather permitting.

FranticBanana Tue 24-May-11 19:17:41

Yes. Off to Kingsbury Water Park for 7 nights straight from school on Fri (have already started packing car!) We have a new tent as well so really hoping it will stand up to this weather.

Pinkjenny - we went to Boroughbridge this time last year. Nice site, though we did spend much of the time gently discouraging DS (then aged 18 months) from diving head first into the river....

Lovecat Tue 24-May-11 20:45:15

Yes, off to Brokenhurst in the New Forest on Friday for 3 nights. DH's first proper camping trip since he was a child and his first experience of the Soulpad.

As he claims to HATE camping S just hope all goes well... <wibble>

PandaG Tue 24-May-11 20:47:42

yep - 7 nights near Tenby from Saturday. Forecast looks pretty dismal atm, hope it improves!

WynkenBlynkenandNod Tue 24-May-11 22:44:21

Am going with the DC's and Plog the dog to the New Forest for one night next week joining friends who are spending the week there. If that is a success we might brave it alone without seasoned camper friend pater in the week.

But I'm not going if it rains.

needanewname Wed 25-May-11 10:24:28

Yay - we're off to Suffolk - can't wait, in fact may well start packing today!

PercyPigPie Wed 25-May-11 10:30:07

Yes, hopefully. Can't wait. First outing of the year.

Top tips? make a list in word or excel and use it as your pro forma for each time you go away. this website has a good list somewhere and good reviews of campsites.

PercyPigPie Wed 25-May-11 10:31:29

Oh and I always finding pitching the tent easier once a bottle of wine has been cracked open grin

Poledra Wed 25-May-11 10:34:28

Lovecat, can I join you in the <wibbling>? Am off to Norfolk next week for 3 nights with borrowed tent, 3 kids under 7yo and camping-mad DH. Have only ever camped a couple of nights pre-kids - DH and kids all excited, me - not so much..............

numptysmummy Fri 27-May-11 12:19:21

My dh is wibbling because the weather has been awful here. I even bought a little gas heater yesterday. Fully intend to have plenty of wine - we are camping at a pub! Have got my box of useful stuff packed and can't wait! Haven't told the dc's yet,they are going to be very excited - especially when they find out some of their mates are going with their families! Happy camping everyone!

Furball Fri 27-May-11 13:09:38

franticbanana - see you there we're off there tomorrow until Tuesday!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: