Talk

Advanced search

Anti social camping?

(18 Posts)
KATTT Tue 17-May-11 15:18:15

I like the idea of camping but looking at the sites on the websites - why is everyone crowded together cheek by jowl in a boring field?

Are they all like this? I don't want to hear people snoring etc. all night. I want to get away from it all.

Any sites out there where you can be on your own?

(especially in South East, which is where we are)

joruth Tue 17-May-11 15:51:22

Suggest you look at the "cool camping" books....(we have "cool camping kids" ) by punk publishing....just the sort of camping that we like, a bit wild, a bit free and a bit more me! Also the ukcamping website have reviews where you can get an honest feel for the style of campsite. On the S. Coast you could try Ewelease. I f you really want to be on your own then become members of the caravan and camping club which have access to camp sites of 5 or less pitches! Enjoy

thisisyesterday Tue 17-May-11 15:53:49

cool camping IS a good book, however the fact that the sites in it are now in a book means they get PACKED, so not necessarily any better during school hols and stuff.

we attempted cloud farm in Devon last year... was so packed we gave up and went elsewhere!

WoWo in the SE is lovely though, and Blackberry Wood (but you need to book ridiculously far in advance to get a spot there)

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 17-May-11 16:03:53

We are on the South Coast and only once have we experienced a campsite like that. You just have to be a bit picky.

Camping and Caravan Club sites have set pitch sizes and insist on quite a space between pitches. Graffham club site is very secluded with individual pitches in woodland.

We went to a lovely site this weekend and more or less had the site to ourselves. Was lovely.

joruth Tue 17-May-11 16:04:55

True....about the popularity thing, we were at wowo last year and they were talking about being a members only site for this year they were so popular. The trick is probably to look for farms that do camping too....they will have lots of space but usually limited access and so are restricted in numbers by fire regs.

Slubberdegullion Tue 17-May-11 16:27:09

There is nothing wrong with a boring field grin

ukcs really is the place to look for campsite reviews. If there are enough for the site you are looking at you should be able to gauge if it is the sort of place for you.

Only thing for snoring is earplugs I'm afraid.

KATTT Tue 17-May-11 16:48:22

Thanks for the ideas, also found a 'bell tent' now that's the sort of thing!

joruth - how do you find the farms. Presumably they'd be too small to have websites?

slubberdegullion I went camping once, about 6 years ago, and I've made a list of the things I hated. I really want to try again but I need to remove a few of the things from the list. One of the main ones was listening to the next-door neighbours having really nasty rows at 11 0'clock at night. I don't think ear plugs would have helped shock

Slubberdegullion Tue 17-May-11 16:55:43

Oh dear.

If it's any consolation I think inconsiderate campers are definitely in the minority.

joruth Tue 17-May-11 17:51:53

I start with ukcampsite website and a go for the area you want. Look at the reviews and compare with the must haves and must not haves on your own personal wish list. But the smallest ones will be on the caravan and camping club siteProbably

Batteryhuman Tue 17-May-11 18:57:13

I second the Graffham site. Also Compton Farm Campsite on Isle of Wight. www.comptonfarm.co.uk/ If you go to any campsite out of the Whitsun and July/August peaks you can usually find a bit of space midweek but this is not a possibility when DCs are school age.

KATTT Wed 18-May-11 12:36:11

Thank you for your help, I'm still umhing. The sites seem either huge fields with butt to butt caravans or hippie retreats that I can't live up to.

Small fields seem the option.

notwavingjustironing Wed 18-May-11 12:39:42

Another vote for UKCampsite. You can filter out what you don't want, which makes the search much less onerous.

needanewname Thu 19-May-11 22:06:19

Wowo have beentalking about going members only for the last 3 years now!!!

Know what you mean KATTT, I'mlooking for somewhere in Leicestershire but they all seem to be caravan parks which is myidea of hell!!

Try looking for sites that allow campfires, they seem to have a far more relaxed attitude and don;t crampeople in.

Forgewood is good, there's also a site in Doddington (I think its Palace Farm but could be wrong) in Kent thats good.

Shame about Cloud Farm, had a fab time there about 3 years ago - amazinf cakes!

ferdiekay Wed 25-May-11 13:18:52

We have a campsite on our working farm just 5 miles from York and we offer exclusive rental of the campsite at most we only accommodate 5 tents anyway so you alwasy get peace. if you are ever this wasy give us a try! www.fftf.co.uk

SherlockHolmes Fri 27-May-11 21:43:24

KATT this place is big enough so that you can get right away from everyone else if you want - you just have a long walk to the toilets.

yukoncher Wed 01-Jun-11 19:13:48

Feild camping, with people walking by and such doesn't really appeal to me either. We always wild camped as kids, and I continue to do so with my children.
Out where noone will be. Lake district is perfect smile

yukoncher Wed 01-Jun-11 19:16:43

if you're just going to a farm. We live on one, and have 80 acres of fields and woodland under our tenancy.
We go up the to lakes to camp though, because the place we know hasgrat hills surronding our little 'secret' area, with a waterfall nearby and lake to swim in.

HonestyBox Thu 02-Jun-11 09:33:43

The wild camping thing appeals to me. What are the rules on where you can camp though - I don't want to get 'moved on' in the middle of the night?

When I looked at UK Campsite they didn't appear to have listings for loads of campsites that I know exist in Devon. Puzzled.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: