Talk

Advanced search

Can you take a cat camping?

(25 Posts)
RCToday Sat 01-Jan-11 15:44:16

has anyone done it?

we go to the same site all the time and the cat is happy in the dogs crate

would also use an extending lead and walk her around the site until she got used to it

I could leave her at home with my oldest DS but she is very close to the dog now

or is it just a mad idea

Geepers Sat 01-Jan-11 15:46:04

Bonkers

usualsuspect Sat 01-Jan-11 15:47:03

quite mad

VivaLeBeaver Sat 01-Jan-11 16:00:22

I know someone who brings their parrot with them in its cage everytime we go camping. That's even madder. I'd be worried about losing the cat, or the tent getting clawed.

CarGirl Sat 01-Jan-11 16:02:19

See have you can get hold of the book "Kym" by Joyce Stranger it's about her siamese that used to go camping and sailing with them. Love the book would never ever take my cat away with me - bad idea!

DuplicitousBitch Sat 01-Jan-11 20:38:53

i have seen a cat camping

Simmylou Sat 01-Jan-11 20:46:17

It's a great idea - until your cat gets out, goes wandering, gets lost and you don't even live in that area to be able to do postering, leafleting etc.

leave the cat at home with your eldest DS where she is SAFE and knows her territory, and do your camping without her.

Cats don't need to go camping.

LowLevelWhiiingeing Sat 01-Jan-11 20:56:35

Ridiculously, we used to take our cat on holiday when we were little in the seventies. Not even in a basket, she was loose in the car FFS. Walking across my dad's shoulders as he was driving up the M6. hmm

I do remember one holiday in a caravan park where we spent an awful 24 hours desperately searching for her, thinking we were going home minus Sookie sad

Don't do it. Cat's like their safe places that smell familiar, they're not good at adapting to change IMHO. Poor Sookie was a very troubled cat and no wonder!

RCToday Tue 04-Jan-11 07:49:28

ok thats a big fat NO then grin

I gave been googling and I may still do it though

Since I got my dog, the cat stays at home all the time, they are very close, they sleep together, eat together,play around and mess together, they are very close

I will keep you posted grin

ZacharyQuack Tue 04-Jan-11 07:52:39

Oh yes. But you must buy a little cat sleeping bag and air mattress.

Or even a wee tent

DecorhatetheChristmasTree Tue 04-Jan-11 08:03:33

Cats get attached to their homes not people (or dogs!). Leave the cat at home.

ilovesprouts Tue 04-Jan-11 08:08:40

id leave the cat at home ,my parents used to have a caravan and once went up to cumbria and the cat got lost ,but they got him bk 2 years later ,only for the poor think to die 6m later

Simmylou Tue 04-Jan-11 21:09:17

RC, if you had ever lost a cat you would not contemplate taking yours camping, because having a much loved cat go missing is a unique kind of torture which you really wouldn't want to experience or create an increased chance of happening sad. Be grateful your cat is safe and well and you know where she is, and leave her in the environment she knows best. Taking her camping suits you more than it suits her.

dirnty Tue 04-Jan-11 21:10:33

taking a cat camping? I've heard it all now grin

stickersarecurrency Tue 04-Jan-11 21:15:07

Please don't

Cats are territorial creatures. They don't tend to travel happily and the risk of losing her, far from home, is too great.

I actually think it's a selfish idea.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 04-Jan-11 21:33:25

they dont travel well at all. stressful for her and if you lose her that will be that.

my sister had her cat loose in the car when she crashed it, she and the cat lost their lives. i just wouldnt

Go Tue 04-Jan-11 23:58:16

Cats are creatures of geographical habit. They would rather stay in the same area with strangers than a strange area with you (and the dog). Leave it at home, it will be fine.

NewYearNewKnickersOnMyHead Tue 04-Jan-11 23:59:22

biscuit

Pixel Thu 06-Jan-11 23:23:27

We took our guinea pig once but I would be too scared of losing the cat. Besides, it would be a tie, you can take the dog out with you, sit in pub gardens, enjoy beaches etc, taking a cat would just be stressful and boring (and cruel IMO).

MegBusset Thu 06-Jan-11 23:24:58

The French take their cats camping with them all the while, I have seen several being walked on leads around French campsites, also once saw some caravanners had brought a pair of chipmunks with them hmm

flaime Fri 07-Jan-11 19:12:19

I have seen someone walking a cat on a harness and I was a bit hmm - we leave our moggie at home and even though she sulks when she sees us packing the campervan I know she's going to be happier out catching mice rather than being stuck in a small space.

Myleetlepony Fri 14-Jan-11 23:03:41

Vicar, I wanted to say I am so sorry to read about your sister. That must have been terrible for you and your family.

Beamur Fri 14-Jan-11 23:06:26

I would say for most cats no, but DP recalls a much loved cat that used to go camping with them. Very intelligent animal - a Burmese, and she was never crated/on a lead, but was allowed to wander off during the day while they were out and always returned in the evening.
Apparently the cat loved going camping and got very excited when the gear came out!

hobbgoblin Fri 14-Jan-11 23:10:11

I love this thread. It is heartwarmingly nuts.

Did you know you can get leads for lizards? I opted out.

smugmumofboys Fri 14-Jan-11 23:11:16

We used to when I was kid in the seventies.

Dear old Biddy. <sigh>

She used to go out and catch mice. She held the mouse on the ground with her paw, unzipped the tent with her teeth and then brought the mouse in for chases and frolics.

In the middle of the night. grin

She did once almost get left behind in Scotland. That was quite a close call.

I wouldn't do it myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now