Talk

Advanced search

Wrong season for action, so please reply! Wood burners in bell tents - how many people actually do winter camping?

(17 Posts)
MisSalLaneous Mon 01-Nov-10 00:10:56

Thinking of buying a wood burning stove to enable us to do winter camping in our bell tent.

However, how many normal (wink) people camp in winter? I fear this is just one of those brilliant plans I get every now and again that has to be agreed to never be mentioned again. Ever.

Plusses:
I really like the idea of a (half?) deserted camp site.
I've stayed in yurts with wood burners before, where it was freezing outside and nice and cosy inside - loved it.
It would mean I get more than 3 - 4 months use of my tent.

Negatives:
Completely deserted camp sites except for the truly tough types?? Would it be horrendous, stove or no stove?

Any experience whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. If however you think I'm being ridiculous overly optimistic, please feel free to say so. As tactful as possible would be preferred, but, since I already gave dh that option, just straight out opinion would be survived too...

Kaz01 Mon 01-Nov-10 20:39:48

i dont do winter camping only summer camping. when its little warmer. i wouldnt do it too cold lol

MisSalLaneous Mon 01-Nov-10 20:43:11

Oh Kaz, you're probably right - I hate being cold too. Yet there is this big part of me that is itching to camp again without having to wait until June next year...

silentcatastrophe Sat 06-Nov-10 19:36:03

I think it would be lovely! As long as you have the right clothes, you would be fine. What would you do all day if it was cold and wet? What about the long nights? Do you play cards? Do you have some form of musical entertainment? If you are warm and dry and not bored to tears, you would have a glorious time.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 06-Nov-10 19:40:38

Its just the very long night bit that would make me hesitate, we've camped in October before and it was quite hard work living by torchlight for so many hours. Could be different in a bell tent though?

MisSalLaneous Sun 07-Nov-10 21:02:05

Well, I just got the loveliest warm winter coat, so feel all geared up for freezing temperatures. However, I didn't think of the long dark nights. If only dh and myself, no problem at all - being able to catch up with reading, cards, board games, hell, even sleep, sounds wonderful. However... we have a very lively and energetic toddler with us. Hmm. I guess if we were all warm enough, he'd be game for lego and story evenings for a couple of hours.

I got a quote for wood burner, which came to just under £500 for a good quality small one, suitable for bell tent. It's just such a lot of money to spend if it's awful, isn't it.

I might try and see if I can find anywhere that still does bell tents this time of the year (have tried yurts which were lovely, but obviously a lot different). If anyone has any ideas where, please shout. Thanks for all the opinions, I appreciate it.

FiveOrangePips Sun 07-Nov-10 22:39:27

It is a lot of money for something that might not get used that often, but if you are a dedicated camper then it could be worth it.

Depending where you camp ( i.e Scotland) it might be something you would use in the summer months too, when it can be quite chilly at night and a wood burning stove would be fantastic, rainy days wouldn't involve endless expeditions, because you would have a nice cosy place to be, you could choose to go out instead of having to go out.

It would be lovely for having tea/hot chocolate... toast and toasted marshmallows, <wistful sigh>.

I am not very practical though!

MisSalLaneous Sun 07-Nov-10 22:47:58

Oooh, we don't usually go that far (we're in SE England), but I love your argument. It would stretch the season anywhere though, so true.

mogs0 Mon 08-Nov-10 18:04:45

I was just coming here to ask a similar thing!

I bought my tent at the end of the Summer and I still haven't been able to go anywhere to use it. I'm desperate to go and I think it'd be lovely to go at this time of year as long as you can keep warm.

MisSalLaneous Mon 08-Nov-10 21:10:24

Mogs, if I find a bell tent place still open (e.g. like Jollydays) to try out, I'll let you know how it was. Have to say though - this morning's weather kind of put me off a bit!

mogs0 Mon 08-Nov-10 21:49:33

It was glorious here from about 8.15am until 7pm-ish! It was a bit chilly out of the sun but when the sun was shining it was beautiful - I think that is what made me think that camping on a day like today would have been lovely!

By 'belltent place' do you mean a site that has the tents already set up for you to use?

MisSalLaneous Mon 08-Nov-10 22:04:14

Ooh nice. Actually, for all I know it could have been a nice day in the middle as I was stuck in meetings all day so didn't go out, but it was stormy and miserable when I left home this morning, and freezing by the time I got home tonight.

Re belltent place - yep, and more specifically, one where it is set up with wood burners inside. I'd feel like I'm cheating on my tent a bit, I suspect, but I think splashing out on a weekend in something like that might be better than spending £500 on a stove and then hating it. A try-before-you-buy, if you like.

TheChamomileLawn Mon 08-Nov-10 22:08:14

The bit where you were in the tent I expect would be lovely.
The bit where you have to leave the tent to go for a wee would be less so.

mogs0 Mon 08-Nov-10 22:09:31

Absolutely. Infact, economising! It might be quite a bit cheaper at this time of year too - possibly because not many sane people want to camp in this weather grin!

mogs0 Mon 08-Nov-10 22:10:54

Oops, x-post! Hmm, I have the ability to hold it until it's daytime (warm) and, now that ds is 8, he can take himself off for a wee by himself!!

mogs0 Mon 08-Nov-10 22:11:32

Thinking about it, ds has been taking himself for 6am wees since he was about 5 blush!

MisSalLaneous Mon 08-Nov-10 22:14:31

Hmm yes, the wee issue... I guess could be the time to try out that SheWee I bought in overexcited camping mood earlier this year and never quite, uhm, used. Ds still in nappies, and tough luck for dh. Might need to impose a no-after-5 drinking rule, but then, that might make for a looooooong and cold night, won't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now