Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone successfully gotten rid of cellulite!?

(25 Posts)
Mummblebee Wed 21-Feb-18 04:01:40

If so, please share tips on how you did it..

My thighs are covered.. all the way to the knee confused .

I've tried exercise.
Rubbing coffee grounds on my thighs before showering.
Expensive creams.
Cupping.

Nothing seems to work.

I use fake tan to try and make it look less obvious..

I would love to be able to wear shorts one day.

mixture Wed 21-Feb-18 04:11:18

Nobody other than you will care enough to be seriously bothered with your cellulite, so you'll have to brace yourself and wear shorts anyway! Have you tried going to the gym and running or maybe "body pump" (group barbell workouts)? I don't think it's possible to apply a remedy from the outside (rubbing, creams, etc.) but that the change must come from the inside (building up new muscles, or perhaps taking on a new view on what's important in life and what's not, etc.)

Mummblebee Wed 21-Feb-18 11:26:37

Hi mixture,
Unfortunately this is not true. The cellulite is very pronounced and covers the whole thighs and considering I am only 26 it is a massive problem for me that no one else my age seems to be suffering to this extreme. I have been insulted and told I have the body of an old woman by an ex and also old friends looking at my body with a disgusted look on their face on holiday. It is massively noticeable and it makes me feel embarrassed in my own skin.

Thanks for the advice anyway. I will definitely keep on incorporating exercise to tone the area.

help1978 Wed 21-Feb-18 11:29:42

Mine reduced massively when I cut all the crap from my diet and upped the gym massively
My legs looked ace but I was a real grumpy fucker

MammaAgata Wed 21-Feb-18 11:35:11

I recently watched a programme - can’t remember the name but I think it was channel 5, aired in January amongst all the other health and weight loss programmes straight after the Xmas blow out! They showed 4 different treatments and got groups of women to test over a 5 week period. One was cream, one exercise, one was something else (can’t remember) and one was body brushing. The body brushing was by far the most effective and noticeable solution. They took before and after shots. I think it was something like 40% improvement in just 5 weeks. Way ahead of all the other results. Was very interesting. The lady in question that tested was no spring chicken but the difference in her skin quite remarkable. Also, how much alcohol do you drink? My sister used to have a daily wine habit and gave up alcohol for over 100 days, we went on holiday together so I saw her in a swimsuit and whilst she had been dieting and exercising I really noticed the reduction in cellulite after her stopping drinking wine. I’m guessing it’s toxins etc.

Mummblebee Wed 21-Feb-18 11:44:24

Thanks @help1978 glad to hear you are winning the battle!

Thanks @MammaAgata this answer was really helpful and informative. That's fantastic news and I will get myself a body brush in my next shopping trip! I have been using a sisal pad but it's looking and bit old and needs replacing haha. I'd take that 40% and be dancing for joy!

I used to both drink occasionally and smoke but have not touched either in about 8 months!

newcarsmell Wed 21-Feb-18 11:51:46

Agree with dry body brushing. It's great for your circulation.

ChesterFuckingDraws Wed 21-Feb-18 11:52:48

I noticed a huge improvement in my cellulite when I was eating properly (fresh fruit and veg, limited carbs and healthy homemade food,) drinking loads of water (3l a day -no caffeine either) and running every second day. The difference was so noticeable, I’ve let things slip recently and it’s back with a vengeance. I think it’s something I’ll always battle with but at least I know there’s things I can do to improve it

JonnyUtah Wed 21-Feb-18 11:53:56

Following with interest having the same problem for years.

Greylilypad Wed 21-Feb-18 11:54:44

I have been doing significantl more exercise in the last 2-3 months (running , weights, HIIT) and have noticed my cellulite has all but disappeared. I have a relatively healthy diet but was a bit of a fiend for sugar in the past and have cut this down a lot too.

PaperdollCartoon Wed 21-Feb-18 11:54:53

Cellulite is entirely normal though, 95% of women have it to some degree, regardless of their size and weight. It’s the result of women having more layers of fat under the skin than men, but there’s nothing unusual about it. We just see so many airbrushed women we think it is. Body brushing and exercising can help but might be worth trying to accept it as well.

cuppateamum Fri 23-Mar-18 14:38:00

Mumblebee I am glad to hear the person who said the to you is now ex, that's not nice.

I have the same problem... have had it since age 15. Have also tried most things, and as getting married in about 4 months am about to start trying them all again!! (Also considering cryo lipolysis but determined to try other stuff for a month or so first as considering is one thing and paying £100's is another...)

I think it's not just one thing, it's lots in combination. What I think helps is -

Exercise, something with squats and lunges etc (Gillian Michaels shred I've found good but I've always stuck on the first section or I'm sure my thighs start to increase! Also it's relatively short routine so easy to fit in). Have just got a treadmill so am trying to run at least twice a week plus two classes at gym, one dance based and one body pump type.

Body brushing - I have tried dry, found it improves, but also found I often forget to do it. So am going to start trying again. But have also got a brush (plastic not bristle) in the shower so can do it then if I've forgotten. It's a cheap brush from Tiger.

Oil - I've used Nuxe before, seemed to help. After brushing/shower. Amazon sometime has it a reasonable price or if you buy direct from Nuxe and sign up to newsletter they give you offers and lots of free samples. But I think even moisturiser will help. I've got a bit of Nuxe left then trying a tube from Aldi.

Drinking water, I never do, it's bloody boring. I will try!! Not sure I'll succeed hmm

Diet, am relatively healthy anyway but will try and cut snacks and processed stuff. Booze - I refuse to cut this out!! I will feel grumpy and hard done by. Have cut down lot since the dead of winter anyway.

I would promise to report back but am notoriously forgetful...

PS In the meantime Next and Boden both sell shorts that are a bit longer do not expose your whole thigh... I think Fat Face too but haven't tried theirs.

ReinettePompadour Fri 23-Mar-18 14:43:23

@MammaAgata I know 1 of the ladies on that show who did the dry brushing. Her eventual cellulite loss was around 65% over 6 months but she needed to do it 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening and possibly a few extra 20 minutes when she had some free time too

At first it was sore but after a few weeks it felt a lot better and she generally felt happier in herself and her legs improved as the weeks progressed. You need a natural brush and not synthetic. You need to keep it dry at all times. You can also apparently use loofahs in the shower to replace the dry brushing.

Ridingthegravytrain Fri 23-Mar-18 14:53:13

Yes I gave up sugar. I’m not sure if it was that or just because I lost more weight (was slim to start with) but it appears to have gone even when I sit down

cuppateamum Fri 23-Mar-18 15:43:40

Man that is a LOT of body brushing! shock Not sure I'm capable of it. Ridingthegravytrain did you give up all sugar as in fruit etc too or just the processed stuff?

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 23-Mar-18 15:52:58

I’ve always had cellulite, as long as I can remember. I have noticed an improvement since cutting out sugar. I’m sure I’ve heard that green tea can be very effective too. I have also heard on here that cutting out processed meat, particularly pork products can be effective??? It must be toxins related I suppose.

It would be too much to hope that a cream from boots would be a miracle cure, wouldn’t it??!!!

CougheeBean Fri 23-Mar-18 15:53:05

Yes I used to have bad cellulite down the back of my thighs when I was around 12 stone, 5'7. I went down to 9 stone and it decreased, but vanished entirely when I started working out hard and I'm now around 10 stone with muscle. My legs aren't bulky at all but they are rock hard when tensed and the cellulite is all gone. Dry brushing etc never worked for me, apparently it just swells the nearby cells to mask cellulite rather than actually redistributing the fat.

Deux Fri 23-Mar-18 15:54:50

I watched the programme the PP mentioned.

I think it was this one www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05srhz8

Are you on the pill OP? I found my cellulite was at its worst then.

Deux Fri 23-Mar-18 15:56:46

Also I had hardly any cellulite when my body fat was at its lowest and I was doing lots of exercise including weights (fixed).

Ridingthegravytrain Fri 23-Mar-18 16:25:08

Yes all sugar including fruit and starchy carbs. It was for health reasons (not trying to lose weight) but side effects were weight (fat) loss and loss of cellulite

cuppateamum Fri 23-Mar-18 16:38:55

Eek thanks ridingthegravytrain, thought you'd probably say that. Think I'd find it very difficult to give up fruit but maybe I should consider trying. When you say starchy carbs did you have brown rice/wholemeal pasta/wholemeal bread or some kind? I've looked at Davina's books on this but think she includes fruit. And she uses honey and maple syrup which didn't quite make sense to me. Did you follow a specific diet? TIA smile

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 24-Mar-18 07:34:59

I started off on following an anti Candida diet which is really strict. Then moved to a hybrid of GAPS diet and specific carbohydrate diet

Do take care when cutting out food groups. I did it under a gastroenterologist and dietician and had blood tests etc

Fruit is ok I just find fructose doesn’t really agree with me

KittyKattyKoo Wed 18-Apr-18 01:55:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissTulipan Mon 07-May-18 18:31:44

Buy yourself a natural bristle body brush, body shop do a good one and elemis.
Do dry body brushing every morning fro ankle to neck, upwards movements, must be dry skin and do it gently. Do 10 strokes on each area moving round leg from ankle to knee, then knee to hip. Then hip to waist, upper arms.
Best thing I have ever used for cellulite but needs to be done every day.

MissWilmottsGhost Mon 07-May-18 18:39:39

Nope.

I had cellulite when I was a 7 stone 19 year old, I still have it as a 9 stone 45 year old.

Nothing has made it go away. When I was a size 14 aged 27 it was at its worse, but no amount of diet or exercise it body brushing has made it vanish. IDGAF any more TBH.

Anyway, looking at all the young skinny women in shorts today, a small amount of cellulite is completely normal. Best to ignore it and concentrate on having fun instead smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: