Talk

Advanced search

Which is the best yoghurt to eat?

(27 Posts)
cleoowen Tue 23-Jan-18 14:38:45

Often after dinner I still feel hungry and crave something sweet. We don't have yoghurts in the house as I am trying to cut out puddings but I find myself having cereal or biscuits instead. I eat fruit too but fed up with same thing.

I know you have to be careful with yoghurts so was wondering which are the best which have low/no sugar, low fat, low calories but taste nice?

X

woodlanddreamer Tue 23-Jan-18 14:43:37

Eat some full fat plain yoghurt with some stewed fruit (no sugar, sweetener if needed) the full fat version will keep you feeling full. I like it with stewed rhubarb or a passion fruit stirred in.

cleoowen Tue 23-Jan-18 16:19:35

I don't like full fat plain yoghurt unfortunately. Plus I don't seem to see it in the supermarket. Any brands I can buy?

mrsBeverleyGoldberg Tue 23-Jan-18 16:22:35

Full fat. Low or fat free have lots of sugar added.

Lisette40 Tue 23-Jan-18 16:24:49

For breakfast I have Fage 0 percent fat Greek yoghurt with a serving of fruit. It is creamy but makes you feel full. Lovely with fresh cherries.

Lisette40 Tue 23-Jan-18 16:25:18

I don't think Fage has sugar added

Lisette40 Tue 23-Jan-18 16:25:58

But it is naturally high in protein

NannyR Tue 23-Jan-18 16:26:48

A small portion of full fat Greek yoghurt with a small squeeze of honey, feels like a real treat and will keep you satisfied for ages.

Gazelda Tue 23-Jan-18 16:30:30

Absolutely agree with full fat Greek yoghurt. High in protein which keeps you fuller longer. I have mine with fruit (I keep a bag of frozen cherries in the freezer), and a squeeze of maple syrup.
100g Greek yoghurt, 100g cherries, 10g maple syrup = approx 200 cals.

brownelephant Tue 23-Jan-18 16:32:48

full fat plain yoghurt.
some ground almonds & (baking) cocoa powder for taste.

Lisette40 Tue 23-Jan-18 16:36:02

<scribbles down Greek yoghurt recipes>

I make an overnight Bircher for breakfast: oat bran, Fage Greek yoghurt (either 2 or 0 percent fat) and fruit. I'm notorious for getting hungry by 10.30 but I never am after this.

Dontfuckingsaycheese Tue 23-Jan-18 16:37:42

I'm doing weightwatchers and fat free yog is now zero points so I have that. Usually Greek style. Aldi or Asda own. Lidl don't do it fat free. I have over sliced banana and red grapes. Tsp of honey. Half if I'm feeling good. And 1 pecan. Crumbled. Love it 😊 2 ww points

NapQueen Tue 23-Jan-18 17:02:18

If I managed to prep a breakfast for work its a tub of fullfat greek yog with a diced banana.

Gazelda Tue 23-Jan-18 17:07:22

Hang on, stop! I have 0% fat free Greek yoghurt, not the full fat. Please don't let my previous post be responsible for you all putting on loads of weight this week!

custardy Thu 01-Feb-18 19:41:57

Probably get flamed but I love Muller light and it's in Tesco at the moment 12 for £4. I personally find it tasty and filling. I know it's full of shit but it's portion controlled and low effort.

FurryGiraffe Thu 01-Feb-18 19:44:23

Another vote for Fage 0% with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey. No sugar and plenty of protein.

Lionso Fri 09-Feb-18 19:39:09

I find the Liberte yoghurts are great. The greek 0%one does have a bit of sugar but both flavours are really creamy and around 84 calories I think. They have no artificial sweeteners or flavours in them. The big tubs are lush too but they they a bit higher in calories.

Gwenhwyfar Sun 25-Feb-18 12:53:19

Those of you who add fruit to yogurt - how do you keep the cost down? Berries, etc. are so expensive and if you buy frozen, you'd have to de-frost them first wouldn't you?

Barbadosgirl Sun 25-Feb-18 12:59:44

Defrosting berries is no drama- pour boiling water on them or 2 mins in the microwave. Might need a few mins to cool down or if your microwave has a defrost setting that should work. We have frozen raspberries on porridge and they defrost in the microwave.

Furball Sun 25-Feb-18 13:18:14

Yeo Valley Bio. Light Blueberry Yogurt is 65 cals and ok it contains fruit but has no artificial sweetners like other low cal yoghurts

Furball Sun 25-Feb-18 13:18:36

meant fruit sugars

Gazelda Sun 25-Feb-18 14:41:42

I use defrost setting on my microwave to defrost frozen berries. Or I put some in a bowl in the fridge the night before.
1kg of fage 0% is £4.95 in Tesco (enough for about 10 breakfasts). 3 x bags frozen berries is £5 (lasts me a couple of weeks). Maple flavour syrup is often on offer for £1( lasts me about 1 month) Linseed £1.99 for a huge Bag (6 months worth). So about 1 month of healthy and filling breakfasts for £33.

Gwenhwyfar Sun 25-Feb-18 14:44:17

"So about 1 month of healthy and filling breakfasts for £33."

More than a pound a day. Not so cheap for a small meal really.
(Or is this for a whole family?)

Gazelda Sun 25-Feb-18 20:18:51

I agree, it's not the cheapest breakfast. But it's healthy and filling. I have home made soup at lunchtime which prob costs about 50p per portion and we eat relatively simply in the evening. I meal plan, and in all our food spend is generally about £50 (plus DD's school dinners), which I don't think is too bad.
But more importantly, I'm trying to lose weight, so this breakfast keeps me full and prevents me from wanting to snack.

redpickle Sun 04-Mar-18 08:47:02

Have you tried Skyr? It's high protein and keeps you full, especially if you mix in a handful of porridge oats

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: