Talk

Advanced search

Italian restaurant today- what is best low cal meal?

(13 Posts)
tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 15-Jan-17 09:41:09

Help! In laws taking us to Italian restaurant today, I'm on 1200 cal a day. What is the best main course for around 400 cal?

The other option is to just eat 1000 cal and then have nothing for dinner...could work....

Artandco Sun 15-Jan-17 09:42:41

Why do you have to aim for 400 or 1000? Can't you do say 600-700? Then still have dinner later

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sun 15-Jan-17 09:43:24

I'm on 1200 cals a day at the moment too.

DH took me to Zizzi last Tuesday with a voucher he was given, I just had what I wanted and filled myself up so much I didn't eat anything else all day.

I still lost 4lb last week.

Have what you fancy.

blueskyinmarch Sun 15-Jan-17 09:45:34

I would avoid pizza or any sauce with lots of cream. Some sort of pasta with maybe prawns or chicken and a tomato based sauce will be fine. If it is a big portion then leave some.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 15-Jan-17 09:45:43

Hhmm, id go high protein so a chicken breast wrapped in bacon, but watch the sides as they tend to bathe vegetables and potatoes in olive oil and butter, so hopefully they have a salad as a side and ask for no dressing or dressing on the seperately?

ArgyMargy Sun 15-Jan-17 09:45:48

Salad! Seriously though - a big salad with lots of greens and tomato, a beautiful dressing (not a creamy one) and thinly shaved Parmesan/Italian equivalent) will look big and take a while to eat so you don't get negative comments from your fellow diners.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 15-Jan-17 09:46:42

*dressing on the side, seperately.

ChocoChou Sun 15-Jan-17 09:51:01

Most Italian restaurants will do a version of skewers (spiedini?) with seafood or chicken. That would be good with a big green salad. Dressing on the side.
How many calories in prosecco??! grin enjoy yum yum

INeedNewShoes Sun 15-Jan-17 09:54:50

You're much more likely to stick to your diet in the long-term if you allow yourself the odd occasion like this where you eat what you fancy.

1000hobnobs Sun 15-Jan-17 09:59:08

I wouldn't even attempt to have just 400 calories in an Italian restaurant.

I'm veggie so would go for a tomato based pasta or one of those pizzas with the middle cut out and replaced with salad (if they do them).

If you're behaving well the rest of the time I'd be inclined to just order what you want and enjoy it. One meal won't make you fat.

There's a high chance you can also eat more than 1200 calories and lose weight by the way (long time calorie counter).

tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 15-Jan-17 10:03:15

wow, so many replies! Thanks some good ideas, I like the skewers idea.
Don't worry Ineednewshoes, I've had plenty of treats! This meal was a surprise so not really planned for it.

I'd prefer to not eat tonight but I can't usually manage not to eat dinner, Im very regular in my mealtimes to avoid being 'hangry'

I've just got 4/5 lbs to go so I can go clothes shopping in 2 weeks if I' m 'good'

tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 15-Jan-17 11:19:49

I find that if I'm strict with 1200 calories I lose 2 lb a week. I'm not a yoyo dieter but I did put on half a stone in December blush I don't normally log my exercise (MFP) but if I put it on today it gives me a bit more leeway. Thanks for the ideas.

Gwenhwyfar Mon 03-Apr-17 20:06:24

Share a pizza with someone else? They're usually too big anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now