Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Low calorie, filling packed lunches that aren't salads. No heating facilities available

(13 Posts)
secondhoneymoon Tue 03-Jan-17 16:14:56

Yet another attempt at losing weight. Need to take a packed lunch to avoid temptation of calorific lunch options in the canteen. Apart from sandwiches, salads, flasks of soup, what else could i take to work? No heating facilities so has to be good and satisfying cold

HappyJanuary Tue 03-Jan-17 22:20:19

I take cooked chicken portions, sushi, fruit salads with oats & yoghurt, cooked cold rice with whatever I can find in the fridge mixed in, crackers with low fat cheese or spread.

If you have kettle access there's also Mug Shots and porridge pots.

secondhoneymoon Wed 04-Jan-17 23:09:30

Thank you happy January. No access to kettle. I started another thread in food and drink as was impatient for responses. Some food ideas on there if you are interested

bunnylove99 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:33:47

OMG. You poor thing OP. I couldn't survive my job without access to a kettle!

NotThrowAwayMyShot Sat 07-Jan-17 17:35:19

No kettle! How on earth do you manage. My office would have serious tea withdrawal.

hugoagogo Sat 07-Jan-17 21:06:10

I like weight watchers quiches? but I normally stick to sandwiches/ soup though, but I am boring.

secondhoneymoon Sun 08-Jan-17 19:25:47

We do have coffee machines and we can get tea from the canteen but not hot water for making snacks. Guess I could take boiling water in a flask

Blazedandconfused Sun 08-Jan-17 19:35:02

Aldi and Iceland do frozen superfoods bags. Couscous, quinoa, seeds, veg, beans- very tasty, filling too. Cook at home they are fine to eat cold. I have 2 meals from each bag.

Hobbitch Sun 08-Jan-17 19:35:45

Grain-based salads would be my choice - rice, couscous, cracked wheat with plenty of veg and some protein. Or middle Eastern food: falafel, pitta bread, houmous, baba ganoush, chickpea salads, lots of veg. It would be healthy, filling and pretty low-calorie.

Also although I'm not a huge fan of the raw food trend it does have some good tips for cold yet nutritious meals. One blog I like is www.thefullhelping.com, lots of tasty-looking recipes that make good cold lunches.

Blazedandconfused Sun 08-Jan-17 19:36:26

Crestless quiche/ omelette packed full of green veg. Dollop of quark, some roasted peppers and cherry toms.

DailyMailFuckRightOff Sun 08-Jan-17 19:43:53

Falafel/ houmous?

thisgirlrides Sun 08-Jan-17 19:46:39

I'd second a big omelette - I make a lovely one that will easily do 2 lunches: cooked onions, mushrooms, courgette, garlic, spinach plus any leftover potato put into into a lined pie dish pour in 5 whisked eggs, season and bake in the oven until set. It's delicious warm or cold and once cold is quite firm so transports well.

secondhoneymoon Sun 08-Jan-17 20:08:12

More great ideas thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now