Talk

Advanced search

Will someone please reassure an ex-low carber

(4 Posts)
IgglePiggleIsDead Thu 28-Apr-16 18:12:07

I have previously done LC and lost weight but couldn't stick to it for very long at all and have over time put on more than I lost.
This time round my BMI is now just into the overweight category which was a bit of a shock and now I need to lose weight for my health rather than just vanity but I want to make sure I can stick to it so I'd not cut any food groups out.
Signed up to MFP on monday and so far have stayed under my calorie allowance of 1200 without feeling too deprived. I like how I can have a couple of squares of chocolate as long as I factor it into my calories for the day. However I'm finding it difficult to get out of the LCing mentality. I don't eat pasta or rice anyway but I'd like to be able to have a slice of bread with my soup or have a tortilla wrap when the family is eating fajitas.
Will I still lose weight eating small amounts of carbs like this throughout the week if I stick to the calorie allowance?

NotQuiteJustYet Fri 29-Apr-16 16:35:55

Absolutely! I have low-carbed on many occasions and never been able to stick to it either (saying that I'm currently doing it again, and I'm a month in and feeling good about it for once!). I've swapped to SW a few times which was like swapping to the polar opposite in terms of carb consumption, and I've lost weight when eating carbs too.

pinkerpeony Fri 29-Apr-16 18:43:11

I could've written your post.
As a failed LC er I've got used to full fat everything, not touching bread and avoiding bananas. My downfall was eating out and away from home; asking for special meals made me uncomfortable.

I've decided to try and make healthy choices, cut out sweets & puddings and focus on fruit & veg. Having a bowl of leak & potato soup and a granary roll for lunch feel like a treat after endless bacon and eggs.

I did download MFP but don't have a clue how to get started.

IgglePiggleIsDead Sat 30-Apr-16 12:57:46

Well I'm going to answer my own question as I had a cheeky weight in this morning and I've lost 4.4lbs in 5 days!! That's with having a couple of tortilla wraps, the odd slice of bread and I even had a magnum after tea last night as I was well under my calorie allowance.
pinkerpeony I know what you mean about a granary roll feeling like a treat, I felt the same the other night making a casserole with carrots and a tin of mixed beans grin
Well these 5 days have been pretty painless and never felt deprived but I have been eating much much healthier so I'm going to carry on and hopefully the scales with carry on going in the right direction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now